The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..19..34..49..64..79~80~81 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
At the movie box-office, Marvel Comics far surpasses DC Comics. In fact, Marvel is leaving DC in the dust. So far, Marvel has colossal successes with Captain America, Iron Man, Daredevil, X-men, Fantastic Four, The Avengers, Hulk, Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Thor, and now Guardians Of The Galaxy. In comparison, DC has had only Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern. Hardly any comparison with Marvel, if at all.

Can DC catch up with Marvel at the movies? If so, then how? One idea I have is to have other lesser-known heroes team up (one at a time) with either Superman or Batman, because either Superman or Batman always guarantees good audience turn-out. For example, to team up with Superman, I would suggest the Legion Of Superheroes. In fact, in the comic books, the Legion originated as an offshoot of Superman, so it would be appropriate that the same is done in the movies. That introduction could provide enough of an exposure so that, later on, the Legion could have their own film.

So what suggestions do any of you fellow fans have to enable DC to catch up with Marvel?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is a great question Orville. My answer is based on the fact that from 1973 to 1994, I was a die hard DC comic book fan. That does not mean I never read a Marvel book. I liked Marvel too. It is just that I was a DC fan. I ammased quite a collection, nearly 4000 books. I also had a complete collection of "The Justice League of America" going back to number one back in 1960. It took me years to collect all that.

Now that you know who I am on the subject, let me point out that some comic book movies have been great and some not so much. I liked "Daredevil" with Ben Afleck, but I really thought it could hgave been done better. Catwoman and Elektra were both not worth the film they were printed on. Tobey Maguire was perfect casting for Spider-Man, and the movies wern't bad. (J.K. Simmins stole every scene he was in though)

So let's answer your question. How can DC catch up with Marvel. They can't. And, they shouldn't even try. Eventually a Justice League movie will be made, of this I am sure. It will have to be a very different movie than the Avengers was. DC superheroes are mostly freinds, or at least cordial collegues. Marvel heros don't like each other. Neither is wrong, that is just the way it is. I applauded the groundbreaking decision theat DC made a few years ago, when they decided Superman and Batman are not friends. They never could be. Their philosophy, outlook on life and the world, and methods are just so far apart, they can't really agree on much beyond fighting for justice.

DC needs to accept that Marvel has them beat at the movie theater, and focus on TV. Arrow is heading into its' thrid successful year. Flash is spinning off of that. Gothem will do what it does and we will see. Constintine is coming, might be good, and Ray Palmer is headed to Starling City to meet Oliver, and maybe the Canary as well. This might work well for DC to buiild to their JLA movie from TV. Somehow I am not convinced it will work, but I hope they try.

Back in 1980 DC tried a JLA pilot on TV and it stank to high heaven. It was the victem of poor writing, mostly poor acting, and limited money for special effects. In one scene, Green Lantern makes a big green fist with his ring, and uses it to give the bad guy the finger. That is not my GL doing that, especially since it gave the bad guy time to make his move. (BTW you can see that movie on YouTube)

So rather than trying to catch up with Marvel, I hope DC will use the Marvel movies to inspire beeter quality in both their TV work and their movies as they come.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? any of the Kirby titles - The Demon, Forever People... would work. Even Mister Miracle. ( cmon - Big Barda and the Furies... or Mantis... Smile ) Just do the first issue. The New Gods - Superman - Forever People crossovers would be epic even if just cameos. Not sure how well the Kirby Jimmy Olsen stuff would work.

ah well - back to reading.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well DC seems to be concentrating on TV shows which it does pretty well. Smallville was ok. Now Flash is spinning off from Arrow. Gotham takes a stab at it this fall as well.

Truth be told Batman and Sups are pretty over exposed. Just how many versions of the origin stories do we need? Iron man, Hulk, Thor, Cap and all have had FAR less exposure much less Guardians. Pushing new characters may help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
They should have left Superman dead.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Nope...

Man Of Steel was the best Superman Movie EVER imho...

The coming one with Batman will be better! Smile

DC's Movies are of better quality, no need to catch up.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Best superman movie ever. Not exactly a high bar.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Tim Burton: "Anyone who knows me knows that I would never read a comic book."
Kevin Smith: "That explains Batman."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Best superman movie ever. Not exactly a high bar.

I actually agree with that... Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I hate Superman as a character.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, critter wrote:

I like Superman as a character. I just hate what all the movies have done to him. The have yet to make a watchable Superman film. The last one was particularly sucky.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Kick-Ass is Kick Ass! Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:

I like Superman as a character. I just hate what all the movies have done to him. The have yet to make a watchable Superman film. The last one was particularly sucky.
Personally, I thought most of the superhero movies sucked.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
How can DC catch up with Marvel?

They can't.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, rockwall wrote:

They can't.

Because DC is already better. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:

Think of him like ET.

But a good looking ET. Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:

They can't.

Oh Pakar, I'm disappointed in you. I thought you of all people would see the much greater value in Marvel! Smile
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well DC seems to be concentrating on TV shows which it does pretty well. Smallville was ok. Now Flash is spinning off from Arrow. Gotham takes a stab at it this fall as well.

Truth be told Batman and Sups are pretty over exposed. Just how many versions of the origin stories do we need? Iron man, Hulk, Thor, Cap and all have had FAR less exposure much less Guardians. Pushing new characters may help.

I agree with you about the overexposure. That's why those movies of Batman and Superman have begun to bore me. At least DC tried to redeem themselves by making the GREEN LANTERN movie. Despite all the criticism leveled at GL, I think the only disappointment was the casting choice. But the extraterrestrials were extremely well done.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

They can't.

Oh Pakar, I'm disappointed in you. I thought you of all people would see the much greater value in Marvel! Smile

Sorry to disappoint you but I love DC more... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

They can't.

Why not let the box office decide?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus