The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Who is John Murray? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I come across his name from time to time and wonder if you anyone here has met him? Any stories about this magician and his magic?

S
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I met John Murray years ago. I think it was at a MagiFest in Ohio. Dan Block and I were sessioning at a table when John walked over and asked if he could watch. We did some tricks and he seemed to like them. We asked if he was a magician and he said that he was. Our take was that he was an old "f*rt" who was probably not very good. He had me shuffle my deck. I put it down on the table and he reached over with his right hand and turned over the top card. It was the six of hearts. He flipped it over on the tabled deck and told me to bury it in the middle. He then said that I should snap my fingers over the deck and turn over the top card. It was the six of heart!

We were totally and utterly fooled by his flawless "gin pick." He could turn over a perfect double on a tabled deck with one hand. We saw nothing. I did get to see him again at Fechters some years ago. I'm pretty sure that he died a while back.

There are a couple of sets of lecture notes from John Murray.

Mike
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
There is also a book available...Inside John Murray.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Thanks for sharing the story Mike. Sounds like a character for sure. I got an email from a guy on the Café years ago who shared a version of coincidence trick where you find a four of a kind which was very good. I have since lost the email but always remembered it. I currently am doing a Ramon Rioboo variation of a four card coincidence from his book Thinking the impossible that made me remember his effect.

Anyone else see John Murray work?

S
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
John was a dear and close friend of mine. I initially met him 40 years ago at his Up The Stairs Magic Shop in Greenville, SC. He was a clever and skilled card man. His ambitious card routine was always a pleaser. He had a move he called The Move (in his book Inside John Murray) where he caused a card fairly inserted into the center of the deck to be moved to the top of the deck with a simple riffle of the cards. The Mark is a fabulous marked card to keychain (made up in half dollar and more popularly quarter size. Al Cohen was given the right to sell that at one time. John was a mentor to many young magicians who gravitated to his shop and were tutored by him in all phases of magic (Young Steve beam is an example who comes immediately to mind.). He was a principled owner of his shop and would not sell tricks to customers who he felt couldn’t master the trick or weren’t ready for it. (Not necessarily good business but the right thing to do.) John died in Charleston, SC a good number of years ago but his memory and influences are still felt by those who were fortunate enough to know and study with him.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Rhett, What a wonderful tribute. I love hearing about magicians we WISH we would have met.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Thanks so much John, very much appreciated.

Sean
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2014, Sean Macfarlane wrote:
Thanks so much John, very much appreciated.

Sean

Did you mean Rhett?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I saw John Murray lecture at Al's Magic Shop in D.C. in the mid '70's. A very nice guy and a likable performer. A few of us went to dinner with him and his lady friend after the lecture. Besides his 4 card coincidence trick which was a real hit back then and still stands up today as a great trick, he performed a version of CSB using a purse which was also a hit with everyone. The shame of it is that I can't remember the full routine. All I remember is that he used a Goshman type purse and that at one point he placed the copper in the purse and hung the Chinese coin on the clasp of the open purse. I have lecture notes and pamphlets and it's not there. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know more.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
John’s “Super Silver-Copper-Brass” is in his underground book, Inside John Murray. I don’t recall the hanging of the brass (which would be the Oriental coin) coin on the clasp - that was likely a subtle improvement he added after writing the book. Incidentally, the book was published in HB and paperback - the paperback being the most common edition. They do show up from time to time on eBay.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, rhettbryson wrote:
John’s “Super Silver-Copper-Brass” is in his underground book, Inside John Murray. I don’t recall the hanging of the brass (which would be the Oriental coin) coin on the clasp - that was likely a subtle improvement he added after writing the book. Incidentally, the book was published in HB and paperback - the paperback being the most common edition. They do show up from time to time on eBay.

I posted a link to the book above.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
John was at Fechter's way back. I remember him performing something with an Okito Box I think. He may have also performed the CSB routine mentioned above. He was a very clever magician and a nice guy to boot.

Mike
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, rhettbryson wrote:

Thank you. As it turns out, I have the book and I found the routine.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Yes, I meant Rhett. Excuse me.

S
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

What about his four card coincidence routine. Which notes is that routine in?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I have lecture notes by Jerry Mentzer titled Second Lecture (1976). It's the last effect in the notes. It was originally published in Card Cavalcade 3 also by Jerry Mentzer.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Thanks Nicholas.

S
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
BTW - John would have been very flattered that users of this forum had an interest in his work and inventions. Speaking of those, there is one of his “The Mark” - coin in key fob tricks being offered on eBay.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I remember buying On the Mark when Al demoed it at a convention I was at a long time ago. Very good trick.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Of possible interest. John’s lecture notes: “Mostly Openers” is now being offered on eBay. I think this was the only lecture notes he published.