The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Magic Movies??? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Besides movies such as Now you see me, The Prestige, Burt Wonderstone, and The Illusionist. What other movies are out (Or coming out) that revolve around magic? (Harry Potter snd The Sorcerers Apprentice do not count haha, I'm not talking about that kind of magic) And isn't there a movie specifically about real magicians or something, or documentaries as well other than the one that Jeff McBride did. (No David Blaine or Criss Angel specials either)

Also, Does anyone know if there are any movies that the Magic Castle has been in?
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Houdini (1953) with Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh. It's on DVD.
The Great Buck Howard (2008) with John Malkovich.
The Great Santini, a Columbo movie in the early 70s with Jack Cassidy that centered around a magician who committed murder
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
There are a few documentaries on Netflix including deceptive practice, a film about Ricky Jay which I found really interesting
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
713 Posts

Profile of Vogler
The film that respects the art is "the illusionist" and is a very good film. Also the old "Houdini" has its charm. I dislike very much "the prestige". Silly end and pretentious.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
"Now You See Me" starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Woody Harrelson and a few other good stars is very entertaining.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
There was another movie with Michael Cain in which he played a magician. It was a British film.

Guy Pierce also did a Houdini movie.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
"Get To Know Your Rabbit" w/Tommy Smothers (HB Jr. was advisor).

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Sting. Not about magicians, but con men. Brief scene of some good second dealing by John Scarne. This is the film that got me interested in magic as a teenager.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Wow guys thank you! Wasn't there a movie that just came out in the last few years that was sort of about an upcoming magician or about the castle, I think it premiered in new york and was an indi film, I cant remember the name for the life of me. I wanted to see it though.
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Hugo (2011) features Ben Kingsley at Georges Melies, the extraordinary French magician and film special effects pioneer. The Story of Magic (A&E) (1997) was an outstanding, two part documentary about our art.

Andrew
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
There was a nice documentary about Tannen's summer magic camp a while ago. I don't know if it was widely distributed.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Lets not forget Jerry Lewis in "The Geisha Boy".

I really enjoyed: "Now You See Me"
Dennis Michael
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I really really liked that one where the little kid played an escape artist and hung out in a magic shop. It's an older one and was the first place I saw the invisible coin purse, which was my favorite thing in the world for a while. Can't remember the name of the movie.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Make believe is on netflix now
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Magic Camp is on netflix, too. It's about Tannen's Magic Camp.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I found "Magic Camp" to be mildly depressing. Of course your viewing pleasure may vary. I found "Make Believe" to be a better documentary.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"The Escape Artist"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
61 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
And coming up...Colin Firth in Magic in the Moonlight...a definitely "must-see"!!!!

Victor
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21274 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wasn't there a scene at the Castle in Shade?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell