The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: The Most Popular Card (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I do a street magic effect where that starts with me asking a random person on the streets to name a card. Ace of spades about once every five times.

P!
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
I feel a scientific experiment coming on. .. Smile
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Decomposed wrote:
KH, AS, QH and 7D in that order.

I believe this guy is right
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
I agree with not choosing any royal cards Smile

I prefer 7D or 2C. Usually.
Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
80 Posts

Profile of Stevious
It all depends on what you ask them to think about. There is a huge difference between think about a fairly random card or think about your favourite card that would mean something to you (or represent somehow your personality).

With ladies you have enormous chances of them choosing hearts, quite often the Queen of Hearts will their favourite card, other popular choices are Ace and Jack of Hearts or simply 7 of Hearts, and you can cut them off from picture card by saying e.g. 'now you have a suit, we need to select a value for the card, so just think about the first number that comes to your mind between 1 and 10'. This is pushing them towards the 7.

If spectators want to be more random and unpredictable they will usually go for number card, like 3-4, in my experience Clubs are quite random suit. Guys are harded to predict than ladies, but I guess they tend to go for strong picture cards, aces and spades (not when asked to pick RANDOM card, then they would know that their king is not random).
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, Shurikenstorm5 wrote:
Ace of Spades, queen of hearts, six of clubs

Mine is similar Queen of hearts, Ace of spades, ten of club or any high value clubs.
interesting, Wonder if there is a reason for that.
brittany_killgore
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, Utah
13 Posts

Profile of brittany_killgore
Queen of hearts, Ace of spade, Jack of diamond etc.... Mostly Ace, King, Queen and Jack.
Jim_Macdonald
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Jim_Macdonald
Ace of Spades, Queen of Hearts, Seven of Clubs.
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
An interesting topic - useful too for working out a good arrangement for, say, an ID. Here's a site with some interesting stats on this:

http://www.psychologyofmagic.org/research/cards/data.html
ParkinT
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL USA
82 Posts

Profile of ParkinT
This IS a great question!!
I have found that you can 'steer' someone to a very small set of possibilities by casually stating, "Not an Ace, that is what EVERYBODY says and none of the Face cards, they are too fancy".
As has been mentioned here, even though statistically that only cuts it down by 18 our of 52, people tend to fall in the middle with an odd number (5, 6, 9).
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, NWJay wrote:
An interesting topic - useful too for working out a good arrangement for, say, an ID. Here's a site with some interesting stats on this:
http://www.psychologyofmagic.org/research/cards/data.html

Once I started reading this thread I decided to post this link... but you already did,
It's very interesting.
I find that it is accurate, as far as the first few most popular cards go.
The numbers in summary:
When asked to name a card; QH; AH; KH; JS; AD; JH; KS; QS, JD, QD, 7H
When asked to Visualise a card; AH; QH; KH; 3D; JS, 5H, 8C; AD; 8S, 10H, JH
Fascinating stuff. Read the whole study here, pdf file
https://www.psychologyofmagic.org/research/cards/cards.pdf
Appendix: https://www.psychologyofmagic.org/resear......s-ap.pdf
Paul
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Queen of Hearts or Ace of Spades.
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aabc
Here is a link from Scam Nation on YouTube, where they did a 10 year study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKnWaMFV6Y
9/10C are the least popular, apparently.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2017, Jim_Macdonald wrote:
Ace of Spades, Queen of Hearts, Seven of Clubs.

Same for me and many others on this post occasionally 7 of spades comes up.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
walidosama
View Profile
Regular user
algeria
107 Posts

Profile of walidosama
Think of it this way each performance is different
if you have a girl then a QH 7H or 9H
so that when you get gaff cards you use them differently
if someone see your trick 2 different times with the same card he will know that you force it or that you used a gaff card
but some time things different
once I see in one of the groop t-shirt a 8C it was small in the back so I forced that card and do the performance and end it with revealing it in his shirt it was cool
fifia
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of fifia
Personally, I started with the four of hearts because I chose a purely random card. It's grown to be my favorite card and it's shown up by pure chance multiple times on my own. But again I do have very strong luck haha. It's not too small a number but not too big. Idk, everyone has their favorite. I've seen 2 of spades used a lot too.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
For what it is worth, one study that I read said that if you ask the person to name or visualize a card four cards accounted for over 50% of the choices: Ace of Spades (25%), Queen of Hearts (14%), Ace of Hearts (6%), King of Hearts (6%)..if you ask them to visualize rather than naming a card the percentage for the Ace of Hearts increases to about 11%.

In general they found that people liked Hearts, Spades, Aces, Face Cards and that women preferred lower valued cards (2's and 3's) than men do..

In around 1,200 selections the black 9's were the least chosen cards only 4 times out of 1,200 tries. The "Hecklers Choice" was usually a mid value club and most often the 6 of clubs.

Funny enough, in their sample women were more likely to choose KING of Hearts rather than the Queen.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
It is mostly women who pick the Q-H and men pick the K-S, after first thinking of the A-S then changing their mind because the A-S seems too obvious. Vernon used to say people would avoid the 10-D because it is the "Scottish Curse" but I found out that nobody knew about the Scottish Curse. It creates a problem, in that that is part of the psychology in his 5 card Psychological Force...if anyone wants, I can do a quick run through of it.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
In other words, in the 5 Card Psycological Force, people most often pick a certain card out of 5, when seeing them in a row, and being able to compare one to another, etc.
MysteroMagic
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of MysteroMagic
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, aabc wrote:
Here is a link from Scam Nation on YouTube, where they did a 10 year study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKnWaMFV6Y
9/10C are the least popular, apparently.

This is a great “listen”. What an interesting way to predict card. 5 cards in your pocket and you’ve covered a large percentage of the choices.