The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: Magic Magazine iPad app pulled from Apple store (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
How can we get the old editions that we previously bought for the iPad? I read earlier that you would make sure we have access to these on rate digital network.

Would like to know how, before I sign up for anything more.

Thanks,

RevJohn
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, MagicSe7en wrote:
I really liked the old iPad app; I think it was the BEST kind of reading experience ever. I'm very sad to say that since they switched to the new format, I have stopped reading Magic Magazine. I really miss their great content, but without being able to download an issue for offline reading, it is no use at all, not even the additional content they're offering. I'm travelling a lot lately and I don't always have a WiFi connection. A simple watermarked PDF would have been fine for me... and Imreally don't understand why this is so difficult. Other magic magazines do it as well....

I couldn't agree more. I thought our iPad-only version was top-notch. Unfortunately, there was a considerable cost to producing that version, and we found that our readers did not number enough to offset that cost. Consequently, we went to a web-viewer that is a product we can sustain, and offer it free with subscription. As to being able to download that, we're working in that direction. At the moment, the bigger issue is making the new web-viewer product to look good on all tablet devices. As soon as that is in place (and at the moment, it's out of our hands), then we'll proceed with getting the app set up to make the issues downloadable to your tablet style devices. Thanks...
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, RevJohn wrote:
How can we get the old editions that we previously bought for the iPad? I read earlier that you would make sure we have access to these on rate digital network.

Would like to know how, before I sign up for anything more.

Thanks,

RevJohn

Yes, we do have web-viewer copies of the magazines that were originally sold through the App Store. Please email me (stan@MAGICmagazine.com) and I'll get you set up. Thanks... Stan
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
165 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
Stan,

I am a long time reader, multiple time complainer (j/k). I liked the experimental efforts you have put forward in the past, even teasers like Magic Next. The Magic Magazine iPad version was the only reason I wanted an iPad. I am often touring around from city to city and I hate thinking I had no access to Magic Magazine unless I had someone ship my mail. The latest effort really makes me happy with having access to M360.

I do not like the $3/mo online subscription model. I have run into this many times in my life with services that disappear, download sites discontinuing, etc. I still haven't found the files that went to tricks that were included in the past Tricks of Trade column from the past issues. that's what I worry about bookshelf services. At least with M360, I am still getting my physical magazine but I can view it everywhere if I am away from home.

I realize that money is always an issue, but maybe this should be talked about at Magic Live to awaken the issues and also see what the best forward action might be.

I will always be a reader and yes I know I owe you my subscription fees.
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Tommee...

Good suggestion to have some kind of a conversation about the digital future at MAGIC Live!

Thanks...
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
So upset. So sad. I loved the iPad version. I will not be purchasing until there is a downloadable function. Part of the reason I first got an iPad was for magazines as I live overseas.

Did you consider the fact that some of us would be willing to pay more? This seems so abrupt. I didn't know about it until I couldn't download the may issue.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
So sad, indeed. All of us around here really liked our DPS iPad edition. Unfortunately, it had to go. And charging more for our old iPad was not the answer. Because of download fees (and re-download fees that could go on forever), the Adobe DPS model is just not sustainable by the small publisher. We're hoping to have a downloadable version in the future, but it will still be closer to our web-viewer version now available.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Alright. Sorry to have a shocked reaction. I look forward to reading more.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Thanks... and please stay tuned.
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I realize it has been said but I LOVED the iPad version! With that version, I could buy single copies when I had extra money... I could also buy previous issues. I was slowly building up to having all the digital issues. How can we purchase back issues? I understand the idea of subscribing then canceling right away, but that is not an elegant solution, and I have always thought of MAGIC as an elegant magazine. Also, I know it has been said that we iPad users want a downloadable solution, because, quite frankly we are not always near a hotspot. Please help your loyal customers...
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Thanks for your kind words about the iPad version. With our new circulation system, you will be able to purchase one issue at a time. Also, you will own those digital issues, and we'll keep them available to you forever. We have not widely offered this yet, because we're not happy with the look of the actual digital magazines on the tablet devices. We're working with a new company that will allow us to offer a downloadable version of the magazine. Hopefully by mid-October, we'll be ready to announce the next level. Thanks, again...
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
How's the progress going on the issue of downloadable versions?
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Short answer: Mid-November.
Longer answer: We've (finally) found the right company that will allow us to offer a crisp PDF version of the magazine for tablets that is downloadable. And... will still be able to work with our fulfillment system, where the issues you've purchased will be available to you on MyBookshelf, whether you continue to subscribe or not, whether you've downloaded them or not. That second bit has made this a bit more... well, complicated.
Thanks....
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Any more updates?
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Good news and bad news! (Ugh!) We're working daily with the new publishing company. The good news is that the issues look great, and we're down to just making our fulfillment system work with their fulfillment system. This is more complicated because, unlike the other magazines and club organizations, if you stop subscribing to MAGIC Magazine (or only purchase one issue), we continue to make all the issues you purchased available to you on MyBookshelf. So, you truly are purchasing digital copies, not just renting them while you're a subscriber or member. We keep testing the system, then going back and tweaking, then texting and... etc., etc. Bad news is that my IT person (and the new company) will not promise until December 31st. Since this has taken longer (twice!) than we expected, I'll be happy to send you the current print issue. Contact me directly, please, at stan@MAGICmagazine.com.
hlaneg
View Profile
New user
Northern Neck, Virginia, USA
12 Posts

Profile of hlaneg
Man am I glad I stopped Magic Magazine when the app was pulled and I lost my subscription. Seems like Magic is having a hard time.
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Yeah, we're having a hard time with the iPad version and the download. Hopefully, it's all behind us when the champagne pops and we can start rebuilding trust with our iPad customers. Thanks...
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Any updates?
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
Sadly, no updates. Hopefully, soon!
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
Any news or updates??
Waiting for a downloadable version of Magic Magazine...