The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: Magic Magazine iPad app pulled from Apple store (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Magic Magazine has pulled their app from the Apple store. Very curious. And it sounds like they won't be reintroducing it - they apparently have some new digital format in the works. I hope it's as good as the old iPad app, because that was fantastic, the rare instance when a written publication was even better in its digital format (it was not a glorified PDF file like Genii's digital version - it was an immersive, multimedia experience). Anyway, if you have the old app on your iPad, it apparently will continue working up through the April issue (which I just downloaded).
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3352 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Wow, don't know if this is good news or bad news now.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
What happens to all the issues we've bought from iTunes? Can we still access them?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Hope so. If not I'll be asking Stan for a refund asap.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
143 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
They did also mention recently that they were doing a "major" update to the iPad version...so, who knows?
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
So actually what's happening to Magic Magazine in its digital form? Seems to have stopped after the April edition! Does anyone know how to subscribe to it as it's not available on App Store any longer.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I just got an email today from MAGIC - they have their new online format live. Go to their website and you should be able to sign up with your email address, the digital version is free with a subscription.

Here's what Stan said in the email:

"Dear Subscribers...

Exciting news! Our new MAGIC Magazine Digital Network is now up and running — on your computer, tablet, and smart phone — and it’s free!

And as a print subscriber, you now get our digital magazine free. Browse through the May issue to see what’s coming in the mail, or read it from digital cover to digital cover. And don’t forget to check out the bonus videos and podcasts. And it’s not just May. All of the 2014 issues are now available at MyBookshelf."
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thanks Jeff but does that mean I have to be a print subscriber and there is no option to be solely a digital subscriber? I was a print subscriber for many years but as I live in Hong Kong the overseas postage was really high. So when the opportunity came to switch and get the issues online from App Store, I found it much more economical. Genii is the same in that they offer a purely digital subscription which is best for oversees subscribers like myself.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Ok I went to their website and there is a digital subscription which is USD 3 annual. So I subscribed.
Does that mean that all previous issues purchased through iTunes can still be accessed?
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I mean the cost for a years digital subscription is US$36 😉
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
Have to say I don't like the new format.

I didn't see anything wrong with the iPad app and thought it was a great way to read the magazine. I don't want to read the magazine in a browser which seems to be how the new version functions so I'm sad to say they've lost a subscriber. Shame.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I just tried to download an issue I had bought on the iPad and it gives me an error.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case? If so, this really isn't acceptable and I intend to seek a full refund for all my purchased issues from Apple.

Jamie
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I'm so sad about this. I loved Magic Magazine on my iPad.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, jbadman wrote:
I just tried to download an issue I had bought on the iPad and it gives me an error.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case? If so, this really isn't acceptable and I intend to seek a full refund for all my purchased issues from Apple.

Jamie

Stan sent out a e-mail explaining how to download the digital edition through their new set up. If you have any problems, contact them. They are very helpful.

John
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, jbadman wrote:

Jamie

Yes I also get an error when trying to download ipast issues I bought. If you try to restore your purchases, it won't let you key in your iTunes password. I hope they resolve this as I have bought all digital issues since the beginning😡
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
This is a total disgrace. Treating loyal customers in such a way is a short cut to business failure.

Similar to magicbern I am concerned about my already paid for digital collection.

I hope it gets sorted and soon. Otherwise I'll send a report to Apple.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
My apologies for not joining in this conversation earlier. At times, we seem to be jumping from one deadline to another. But, I'm on board now, so let's talk.

For over three years, we've been redesigning MAGIC Magazine each month specifically for the Apple iPad. I've been very proud of this edition, as I felt it stood up to just about anything anywhere in the digital publishing world. And I'm sad to see it go.

The fact is, however, that it's simply impossible for us to continue. Given the current trends in the industry, it's foreseeable that the cost to deliver the iPad edition will soon exceed the amount we're charging for the magazine. It's sad, but true.

And through it all, we were only able to service those who have iPads. We couldn't logistically offer that same version anywhere else. We had a limited market, with costs to sustain it going through the roof. A change had to be made.

So, we developed a new Digital Network in two parts: MyBookshelf and M360.

MyBookshelf is where your digital issues of MAGIC are always waiting for you. These issues are simpler digital editions, but they still contain all of the same content found in print and the video bonuses. And they are accessable on your computer, tablet, and smart phone. Best of all, we can offer these digital issues free with every print subscription. They're also available digitally only for as little as $3 per month.

M360 is our "playground." This is where we will be experimenting with new content available all different ways. While it's still in its infancy, I think you'll find it's a reader-friendly experience, without the constraints of a monthly calendar. And it comes with every subscription... print/digital and digitally-only.

I hope this answers some of your questions about what we're doing and why. And I'm sure you have more questions. Fire away, and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks...
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I fully understand the logistical and practical cost of switching to another platform - enabling subscribers a greater variety of choices as to where and how they can read the magazine. However the question on my lips - and I'm sure many others who have been subscribing through iTunes since the magazine went digital - is whether we will be able to access our last issues even though we haven't downloaded them on our iPads.

Please advise as to whether any arrangement has been made with iTunes in this respect.

Thank you.
Stan Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
75 Posts

Profile of Stan Allen
As to your question of whether you will be able to access our last issues (back issues?), even though you haven't downloaded them on your iPad...

No, No, and Yes. You will not be able to download them on your iPad, and you will not be able to use the App in the future.

However, we are making all of the back issues owed to you available on MyBookshelf. Each issue will have all of the print content, as well as all the digital content that goes with that issue. So, while the method of accessing it has changed, all of the content is the same.

Please contact us at help@MAGICmagazine.com to get your account updated.

Thanks...
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Stan,

I've been a Magic Magazine subscriber since 1999, and switched to the digital iPad version about a year ago. Loved it.
Today I renewed my electronic subscription (with MyBookshelf) and I must say I am truly disappointed with the new format.

1. We can no longer download the magazine to iPad for offline reading (which I imagine is the most common use case)
2. The text clarity is quite poor and fuzzy (is this going to be fixed, or is this really the final product?)

Had I known how the new format worked and looked, I wouldn't have renewed my e-subscription and would have gone back to getting the print version.
Maybe the best way to go is to go back to the print edition and get this e-edition as a free bonus.

Kevin