The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Die-Cipher 2 instructions? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I just bought the trick but there aren't any instructions.
Can anyone help me out by scanning or photocopying theirs?
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I found them! Thanks so much.
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
234 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Hello, I'm new here on the Café but a lifelong fan of magic. I also recently found my old Die Cipher 2 gimmick, but I don't remember how to obtain the exact number without touching the gimmick.

Can anyone help me with a PM? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can send proof of ownership as well.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You need to touch it. Trying to guess visually from a distance can be done but it's tougher. It's much easier to do what I've done and take it from one spectator and hand it to another for safekeeping, discerning the number in the process.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ah yes...the Shadow Knows...as written by good old Walter Gibson (under the pen name Maxwell Grant). Actually I guess it was a young Walter Gibson since he was about 36-ish when he started his 20 years of writing the Shadow series. (over 230 novel length Shadow stories!). OK trivia over now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on Di-Cipher 2.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
,,, you found the instructions, great.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Harry Murphy wrote:
Ah yes...the Shadow Knows...as written by good old Walter Gibson (under the pen name Maxwell Grant). Actually I guess it was a young Walter Gibson since he was about 36-ish when he started his 20 years of writing the Shadow series. (over 230 novel length Shadow stories!). OK trivia over now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on Di-Cipher 2.

Harry, I was sticking to the regularly scheduled discussion of Die-Cipher II...The Shadow Principle...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
234 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
I was able to get my answer from a very helpful member on the Café.

This really is "Magicians Helping Magicians". I'm glad to be a new member to these forums!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Sorry I was being my typical know it all self! Just call me the trivia king. Just ignore me!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Harry Murphy wrote:
Sorry I was being my typical know it all self! Just call me the trivia king. Just ignore me!

I enjoyed the post...and some good history for the youngsters (and maybe for some of the old-timers too)!
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Harry Murphy wrote:

Harry, I was sticking to the regularly scheduled discussion of Die-Cipher II...The Shadow Principle...

I've heard of the "shadow principle"; is it all that good or easy?

Another approach is to put the unit onto the back of the spectators hands. Still, that may be difficult too.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
The Shadow Principle is very, very good, but, it isn't something you can do in five minutes. And, of course, as the title suggests, lighting is involved.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
Anders K
View Profile
New user
Denmark
29 Posts

Profile of Anders K
Hi guys,
I’ve just received this in a mixed lot. It came without instructions, but I know the principle (at least for Die Cipher 1). Is there an easy way of knowing which version I’ve got?
Thanks in advance.

Best wishes from Denmark.
keefmick
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of keefmick
Hi--how much work/practice is involved in this effect? I would love to buy it and leave it on my desk at work for whenever someone new walks in but I am worried that if I don't stay on top of it, I will forget how to effectively do the effect. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The method that is shipped with the product is NOT difficult. You have to remember only 1 or 2 things (as I remember) and then apply the directions (there are different approaches, but other than the "shadow" method, it is not hard. You need minimal practice to get it to work for you.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
markthemagician
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of markthemagician
I am wondering if anyone knows how to get a copy of the "Shadow Principle" booklet? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I've got the steel version of Die Cipher 2 and I'm getting pretty good at the method.....however...

I'm not super comfortable that I have a good routine that builds nicely. If anyone has anything they'd be comfortable sharing on how to perform using this device, I'd love to get some ideas...

Thank you!!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Please be aware that although The Shadow Principle is an excellent method, it works only under certain conditions and is not 100% dependable.
OmarBelfaqih
View Profile
New user
Hungary
6 Posts

Profile of OmarBelfaqih
I am also looking for a shop selling the Shadow Principle.