The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Ireland Magic Company ?? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
donSatalic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of donSatalic
Hi,

I'm a writer working on a novel that involves magic and magicians in Chicago set in 1947. I was wondering if anyone here remembers visiting the Ireland Magic Shop at 109 North Dearborn, Chicago, IL. It was on the fourth floor of that building.

Thanks for anything that will help.

Don

P.S. My last novel "Return of the Falcon" is at Amazon.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Don,

You might want to consult two vintage books by Frances Ireland (Marshall) entitled: With Frances In Magicland and You Don't Have To Be Crazy.

Julie
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There's a bit of history at:
http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx
If you use any of their email, phone, or snail mail info at
http://www.magicinc.net/contact-us.aspx
I would guess that they will be able to help you.
The brief history at the "About Us" site says: "Begun as the Ireland Magic Company, founded by Laurie L. Ireland in 1926, Magic Inc., located in Chicago, was incorporated in 1963 by Jay Marshall and Frances Ireland Marshall."

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I was there many times, I bought my copy of Greater Magic there, for $12, I was taking art classes at the Institute and would skip boring classes to visit Ireland's.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I went to Amazon to check out your "Return of the Falcon" where I was going to buy a copy but was surprised to find it was a Kindle edition. I've never done Kindle books before but would love to read it. Maybe I'm just stuck in the 70's.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! I remember the 109 shop very well, although I only visited it once, in the mid '50s.

When you got off the elevator, you were "in" the shop! A long counter stretched from the left wall to the right wall. There was room for possibly a dozen "customers" or potential customers! Shelving behind the counter displayed props like die boxes, dove pans, and "Otto the Automaton Duck!" The counter "held" gimmicks, card decks, and, "envelope magic".

Frances was behind the counter. Laurie was "at home", in Oak Park, making gimmicks!

The next time that I was in Chicago, Ireland's was Magic Inc. (on Lincoln Ave.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
I spent as much time there as possible between the ages of 12 and 18.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, Julie wrote:
Hello Don,

You might want to consult two vintage books by Frances Ireland (Marshall) entitled: With Frances In Magicland and You Don't Have To Be Crazy.

Julie

And, also, "My First Fifty Years" by Frances Marshall

MAGIC INC. is still operating a "B&M" in Chicago at 1838 W. Lawrence Ave. Chicago IL 60640
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Thanks for remembering My First 50 Years, Dick. We were present at that celebration in Chicago!

Now I'm going to have a look in the "archives" to see if that booklet is here. If so, it will make a FUN re-read and just might jog a memory or two. Smile

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yer most welcome!

I had to miss Fran's 50th. I was on the road. School show itineraries are set a year in advance!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
'Just located My First 50 Years! What a delight. I'd forgotten how warm and personal Frances' writing style is. It's like listening to a story shared by an old friend.

Highly recommended.

Julie
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2023, Deckstacker wrote (in part, in a different Café thread):

"... strolling down Memory Lane ... recalling my very first Enardoe's Wonder Deck with that clever clock face. Ah, the thrilling sense of empowerment! That was back in the 1950's when I was just a beardless teen blowing all my allowance every week at Ireland's Magic in downtown Chicago. There were the Deland's decks as well, but those and the Enardoe's were really the only commonly available choices, unless you had someone like the lovely Frances Marshall tipping you off to the hand-marked Bee's and Bike's that the KC Card Company produced in small quantities for the elite of the magic community (and a few professional gamblers, of course). --Glad I've been blessed to live long enough to enjoy the great variety of choices we have today."

Perhaps a bit tacky to quote myself as above, but it seemed to fit into the nostalgic theme of this thread, so ... there you have it.

One of my fondest memories from back then is of one time when the lady herself (Frances M.) graciously invited me to a private, by-invitation-only evening gathering--as I recall, in a loft on one of the upper floors of the Dearborn building--where local and visiting out-of-towners would come and demonstrate their latest effects to each other. I was especially impressed by a birdcage vanish, after which the performer then proceeded to reveal his self-made "secret" sleeve mechanism to the enthusiastic onlookers. It was in that moment, I believe, that I first felt myself to be part of the brotherhood of magicians--such a thrill for a young, green novice!
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.