The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Color Vision (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I've always been aware of the color vision effect, but never really gave it much attention, probably due to the fact that all of the ones that ive seen look like they have come out of a gumball machine. However, recently I came across a really nice wooden one that is also larger then the plastic ones. (It looks really nice) Well, I decided to pick it up and work out a really nice presentation (First Draft) I tested it out recently with several groups and it got great reactions. So impressed was I that I am seriously thinking about working on this some more and incorporating it into one of my working sets. Not sure if it should be an opener or middle yet, still need to test it out dome more.

Anyway, my question is hsve any of you ever considered doing this at a gig? And if you already do it, what are your experiences, and do you do it as an opener or middle, or just a random piece thst hou throw into the mix.

As awalys, thanks for any comments you give.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have made some nice wooden versions, although am sold out at the moment. But, I have also been asked to make larger versions for guys that planned to use them for stand up shows. It's a great trick and some guys have worked out some really good handlings for it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Michael

Thanks for you post. Do you make lots of wooden props as I may be interested in a couple of items if hou do. Also I have just had a pm from another cafd member asking sbout getting a wooden one so have told him tbat hou msy be able to make one for him. I take it that is ok with you?

Cheers
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom does this very well and has often surprised working Magicians with how well this can go over.

Still, it is a little "proppy" to carry and even Tom doesn't do this one on a paid gig.

It's like Tenyo, great effect but doesn't look Pro. (to my eye).

-Mary Mowder
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Mary

In general I kind of agree with you, that's partly why I have never done it before (along with the fact that the ones I previously saw were plastic and looked like a kids toy) However as mentioned the one I found looks really nice and is larger and made of wood. I guess you could consider it proppy, but I ferl it depends va lot on the type of event and the group you choose to perform this for. E.g Not at a black tie dinner, but perhaps at a summer party or at a restaurant.

I'll test it out some more and let you know how It goes.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
A nice looking Color Vision would work great for those shows that are booked as strolling Close-up for a small home party (but experience tells you could turn out that everyone watching you at the same time).

-Mary Mowder
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
The unique handling by Ed Marlo (yes, the card guy!) for Color Vision would be worthwhile to track down.

Julie
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Mary, LOL that could be a potential problem. Just make sure that you are with your back to a wall or fence if there's a crowd. Choose your moments, wait like Max Malini and D Vernon said etc. LOL

Julie, funny you should mention that as it is something that I was just about to look at, I believe it's in a book called Arcade Dreams. (If we're talking about the same version.) I'll have a read through and let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I have been collecting color vision boxes made from virtually every type of material available for decades. I perform a sleight-of-hand rendition that fools many magicians with phases that derive from Ed Marlo's original work. This effect will always remain as a major staple in my close-up performing repertoire. Generally speaking, I believe we as magicians tend to think like magicians and put far too much thought into the appearance of the tools of our trade. If something appears like a child's trick, why not innocently present it as such and state that it was the first trick that you ever learned as a child? If it appears beautifully ornate, why not present it as something precious that was passed down to you through the generations? All that I am saying is break down your mental barriers and be creative in your presentations. Your audiences will typically follow suit. I sincerely believe that the greatest obstacle to magicians is usually magicians themselves. Just some food for thought my friends.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I used to combine this with a scryer's mirror on the table, so I never had to look at the box, just its reflection somewhere else. I could also shield it with my hand so no one else could see what I was seeing.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
It looks like something for a game or toy from when you were a kid so that is how I introduce it! Cheers!