The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Plastic cards for packet tricks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
I know many people don't like using plastic cards for card tricks, but knowing that most packet tricks don't consist of the entire deck, is it possible to use plastic coated cards to perform packet tricks with? I don't have a plastic deck to practice with but was curious because it would make carrying and performing much easier and the cards would last much longer. Thanks!
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
XavrosStalkingwolf
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of XavrosStalkingwolf
I like this idea! It's true that they don't act the same way as a normal deck of cards, but that's only when you use them in the context of a full deck. Using them in terms of a packet trick seems totally reasonable.

And you're right. At the very least it would definitely help them last longer.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have a packet trick I bought years ago that is made of 3 laminated bicycle cards. They still look like new. I don't remember the trick though. Smile

What I do remember is that the moves were very simple ie. Glides and DL's. They wouldnt work for much more though.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
I don't think it's true that plastic decks last longer.
They certainly light differently, so check out lighting and angles.
The main problem you'll find is in incorporating a packet (probably printed on standard stock) into a plastic deck.
So saying I have done it the other way around (Phantom Deck) and nobody noticed.
Steve
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Wouldnt that creat more suspician from the spec? Everyone "knows" bicycle cards are the norm.

Steve makes a good point. How would you get the blue and red diamond plusnthe kicker card printed on a plastic card if color monte or any other packet trick you are thinking about? I hope that makes sense. Smile
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There have been packet effects that have been printed on PVC such as Tamariz Rabbits. If I remember correctly a few years ago I had seen Gypsy Curse sets that were on PVC. So it is very possible.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There have been packet effects that have been printed on PVC such as Tamariz Rabbits. If I remember correctly a few years ago I had seen Gypsy Curse sets that were on PVC. So it is very possible.
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
This is a good idea I at time make my own gaff cards Im going to laminate them next time & try it out
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
The New York Magic Project sells plastic Rider Back decks. Thinking of checking one out.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
100% plastic cards are very durable and long-lasting. On Steve Dusheck's '82 lecture video he comments on this and mentions how some of the gaffs he has made from them have lasted years, even while being demo'd at conventions over and over.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1066 Posts

Profile of helder
I like the idea. I'm gonna try to make some of the packet tricks I perform in PVC playing cards.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
My concern is that PVC plastic playing cards would handle quite differently than paper playing cards.

For example, it would have an impact on sleights like an Elmsley Count, or a double lift.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I love plastic cards for rough and smooth because they resist humidity. To make them handle better, soap the card.
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
My concern is that PVC plastic playing cards would handle quite differently than paper playing cards.

For example, it would have an impact on sleights like an Elmsley Count, or a double lift.

I love using Copag bridge sized plastic cards for TTA precisely because, in my opinion, it makes the E****** count and triple l*** incredibly easy.

BW

Steve
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I too enjoy experimenting with plastic cards and agree that they can be great for some tricks. But I have also found they are not so great for some sleights. For example, some brands have a rough finish making them a bit noisy. You can hear the sound of one card sliding over another. That can be a problem in say moments when you want your audience to think you are holding only one card but you need to secretly steal the other card. They also have a springiness or tension. I once “attempted” to perform Phoenix Aces at my local magic club using plastic cards. I say attempted because after I p….d 4 cards and was ready to produce the first card, all 4 cards sprang out of my hand like a Jack in the box! I went back to using standard cards for that trick!
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
I'd love a bicycle prestige rider back double backer and double facer. That would be ideal.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
It's a great idea but as magic dealers like having to sell you he same effect over and over I doubt it will happen.