The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Show us a trick - no props with you. (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I always have something in my wallet.
Last time I performed Powerball 60 after dinner, it was a huge hit.
The spectator asked me to read her mind without any props.
I told her to think of a number between 1 through 10.
I guessed 7 and I was right.
It was risky but I read that 7 is the most common number thought of if its done quickly.
She freaked out.
Pirouz
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I always borrow a quarter of if anything you can perform a sponge ball routine with napkins or pieces of paper. Ask to borrow a bill and maybe perform a bill change? There are also a lot of mentalism things you can do that require no props.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I once did a Free Will style mentalism routine at a restaurant with some friends when they asked to see something and I didn't have anything on me. I just used objects from around the table and a prediction written on a napkin, incorporating some eq******e tips from a Max Maven lecture I'd attended not long before. One of my friends says it's her favorite effect of mine she's seen.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I did a bit of research and discovered I have sent out 83 free copies of my ebook, 'Sleight and the Family Stone" filled with effects, sleights and logic for performing
with "found objects" in natural settings -- exactly what this thread is about. The "cost" for the dozens of effects was a commitment to feedback -- pretty simple.

Amazingly, only 27 magicians actually met their commitment and responded at all after reading the material -- less than 1/3.
Of those, six said they couldn't understand it without a DVD to watch or found the text contained too many terms they did not know (Definitions in the Appendix)
What's the old saying? "Anything new but not for the first time!"

Only four (4) people responded as to ever performing any of the effect -- with wonderful results. Maybe others did and claim it as their own.

So, I conclude that most magician like carrying props and gimmicks around with them hoping to be called on to "do a trick." It is only lip-service to be able to perform magic effects with found objects.
You only have to master about six techniques in order to perform hundreds of effects with nothing in your pockets. Of course, presentation skills are a must. Maybe that is the problem.

What bothers me is the question of why a spectator should trust you and give focused attention if you can't meet a commitment to a fellow magician?

Oh yes, "doing tricks" doesn't require any trust, does it? There must be some kind of security in having props in your pocket. Where do you keep the magic?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I am having fun thinking through what can be done with Greg Rostami's Iforce app. If you have a phone on you - and who doesn't - you can do any-time miracles. What I most like is that the phone is just a tool - the place where your note app is. That way the attention is on the effect, not on something "magical" that happens on or in the phone itself. And since you can force up to 8 "choices", you can adapt it to a lot of existing routines. I think it's genius. And it's cheap. What's not to like?

And, of course I have to like Coffeehouse Conjuring material, since Greg and I spent a year coming up with the material (plus about 100 effects that never saw print). Hate to think all that time sucking down overpriced Java at the local Starbucks wasn't useful...
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
This reminds me of the time (1960s) when I a co-worker kept asking me to 'do a trick'-'do a trick'- almost everyday- SO - I asked him for a quarter - then I did severl slights and after- put the .25 in my pocket - when he objected - I said "I don't do magic for free" - no more bother-- Always wanted to do this with a Dollar bill-(the break a pencil bit - but didn't have the nerve nerve) L-O-L Ralph(russo)Rousseau
Faizimran
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Faizimran
I always have my ring on so I do ring thing by David hauss to start of with then do some slights with my ring and I always have extreme burn 2.0 locked and loaded and Scotch and soda on me I keep them both in the wallet thing supplied with extream burn 2.0 locked and loaded
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
I ask them to pull my finger. Smile
Stan
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I ask them to take a coin from their pocket and out it on there palm... Then I instruct them to put their other hand over it....I don't go near them and wav my hand over there cupped hands and the coin vanishes from their hand into mine....and yes only one coin is used...

Sleepy
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1586 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Just do my 10S Star Sign Divination and Tequila Hustler =)
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Anything with in gimmicks coins. I love coin work
magicgerry06
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
132 Posts

Profile of magicgerry06
Heads or tails or which hand with imaginary coins.
Beat me on those ones!
Gerard ZITTA
http://www.untouchedmagic.com
"If Magic be the food of love, play on..."
A. Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
105 Posts

Profile of A. Evans
Ask for 2 hair bands and make them appear the link together, disappearing saltshaker, make a coin disappear with a table napkin, the classic illusion of pulling your finger off but it's really your thumb.
"It's better to have 3 amazing tricks than 10 good ones"
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Paper balls over head. Sponge napkins
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
The one tool I almost 100% of the time have on me is a TT. With that, and a few of the other miracles people have shared on this thread, you can perform any time, anywhere.
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
If I am at a restaurant, I will usually perform a Vanishing Salt Shaker and Stirring silver from J. Sankey.
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
X-finger
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
With no props on me, the best I do are math based stuff, 1089 being my favorite.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Adeofspades
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Adeofspades
With no props, 37 force, psychological subleties (geometric shapes), Max Maven's Multiplicity and Alain Nu's Signagram.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Greg wilson on the spot has many great routines.
As well as paper ball over the head and Banachek's PK Time .