The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Show us a trick - no props with you. (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Thank you Harry, I will check out Mathematical Wizardy as well. I've never once been disappointed in investing in any of your books. I always get way more than my money's worth. The magic community is very fortunate to have you as a part of it.

David
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
A) I NEVER carry a deck of cards with me! The people I usually do some card stuff for...if I pulled out my own deck, they'd laugh. And, as I've written many times, in many of my books - you lose a large percent of your effectiveness when using your own deck - whether people remark about it or not.

b) David, I teach it in a number of my books on memory training. I spend a few pages on it in THE MEMORY BOOK.

c) Read my book, MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY and you'll have miracles to perform anywhere, any time - and all you'd need is paper, pencil, oh and a calculator.

The Memory Book is the best single investment you can make! I have 4 daughters I taught to get great marks in school using the methods in there!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have to agree, if you study the memory book you will always be able to amaze people with your skills. My mother was 83 years old when I taught her the mnemonic system and she grasped the idea within a very short time, so it just goes to show you are never too old to learn.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
George, it's interesting that you should mention this. Besides impressing people with your amazing skills, learning memory systems can actually help prevent alzheimer's and dementia.

http://www.helpguide.org/elder/alzheimer......ment.htm

I appreciate your's and Richard input regarding the Memory Book as well. Thank you gentleman.
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Bryn Reynolds "Seven".
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2014, greerj wrote:
Bryn Reynolds "Seven".

Yes.....

Thanks for the mention, greerj......

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2014, mindhunter wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2014, greerj wrote:
Bryn Reynolds "Seven".

Yes.....

Thanks for the mention, greerj......

Bryn

You're certainly welcome. Not just for the effect, or your books, but also for your service. I spent some time in the 8th Infantry Division, and I know that the Armed Services are more work than most believe them to be. Love your stuff.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
1. NEVER leave home without any magic.

2. Expand your knowledge in magic. Read up mentalism effects using ANY items including a small rock or mobile phone.

3. Banachek's PK Time always works for me.

4. Deddy Corbuzier's Freewill plot using any borrowed items.

5. Loop up Smile
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Stigmata by wayne houchin
gvinson
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gvinson
Harry, just bought Mathematical Wizardry and the memory book.
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
Atlas Penguin Live lecture has some great stuff... PK touches also. learn tricks with a borrowed iPhone (divining contacts, etc)
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Probably not going to be situation where I have no cards on me and if that's the case the situation is probably one where I'm not planning to show any tricks. For me at least for the moment it's just cards or nothing.

However if I were to do something it would be some really simple sleight of hand with borrowed object. Not much of a magic trick, but I would probably do "follow a coin" type of thing with spectator having hold the coin between their hands and punchline being that coin ends up their pocket etc where I have switched another coin to their hand.
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Wow I thought only magicians used the "sorry but I don't have anything with me" excuse but I ran into my dentist at a party the other night and asked him to take a look at this tooth that was bothering me and that was his excuse too. I cannot not even repeat what my lawyer said. Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, ATL wrote:

However if I were to do something it would be some really simple sleight of hand with borrowed object. Not much of a magic trick

Some of the most memorable magic effects I have ever performed are with borrowed objects and simple sleights.

By "memorable" I mean someone who mentions an effect 40 years later. It is never the one with fancy props or contrived situations.

The key is to have the observer expect astonishment to occur -- then deliver on the promise. They supply the magic.

For me, this can occur spontaneously and with simple objects more easily those that prompt, "O boy, here comes a trick."

If you think it is "not much of a trick" you will probably be right.

If you plan on creating a 40 year memory you may be right also.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP! ATL is a young lad, with much to learn! --That's OK! (When you're green you can get ripe! When you're ripe you just get rotten! (Look at ME!)

ATL: MARTIN GARDNER wrote a book: "THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU MAGIC". It was published by Magic Inc., Chicago, in the mid or late '70s. (I was involved, in a small way, in getting it printed.) It went out of print, but, I hear it will be reprinted, soon.

It wasn't cheap then, and, it will be higher now. (Here comes the "but": BUT, if you can possibly afford it, buy it. --you'll never be sorry!)

Ken's post just above, "SAYS IT ALL!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I always travel with effects on me but if the world turned upside down I would do coin on shoulder or paper balls over head
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Scott Guinn came with a perfected routine which can be totally virtual
Write three predictions on your business card (or any piece of paper)
Some spectators pick three different totally virtual coins from any country and of any value in your empty cupped hands. They give you one of these virtual coins (still pantomime)
You toss it up in the air and seemingly lay it on the back of your other hand, as a performer ask whether the "chosen" coin landed head up or tail up and then progressively unfold your prediction showing that you had correctly predicted everything...

I think that he's selling it for virtually nothing at lybrary.com

Scott had been out of the magic arena for a while as he had taken over a new parrish and then was blessed with a beautiful son.
During this time many ideas decanted in his head and several outstanding effects matured and now he is back with them.

Just amazing quality of imagination, precision in the descriptions, sophistication in the thinking but simplicity in the effects and (in my opinion) ridiculously low prices !

If you want to stay ahead of everyone, don't pass these by
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thank you, Etienne! You are, as always, far too kind!

The effect you reference is "Positive Increases," my improved handling of my "Assertive Positive Negative" which was a modification of Max Maven's "Positive Negative."

I also have a new ebook out with an impromptu one-coin routine that can be done for one person or a full audience. It ends in a total vanish, has an entertaining "hustler/con man" presentation, and is unlike anything your spectators will have ever seen.

These routines are available on my page at Lybrary for just $10 each. Both are explained in great detail with accompanying photos.

http://www.lybrary.com/scott-f-guinn-m-235.html
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Serial Prevaricator by Colin McLeod.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
I constantly carry a deck of cards with me, even at work! But it's good reading this to get an idea of something different to do besides card tricks, as some say you seem too prepared.

-P