The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Show us a trick - no props with you. (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
RayChance
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of RayChance
Pickpocketing though not magic is always entertaining. You can even do it with a single coin.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Well, recently I've been doing CMH regularly, but it doesn't really fit the "no props".
I should probably learn a one-coin routine that can be done surrounded.
What I usually do is a few body jokes and feats, and conclude with a 360 turn of the hand.

P!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Crushed up dollar bills, napkins, bits of bread even, make serviceable sponge ball substitutes.
dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, yazz wrote:
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz

Yazz, I agree 110% if it ain't there where you are already then it does not seem like magic... someone said, can't remember who, "If I were to pull out a ham sandwich there is no magic involved with that but if someone were to say I'm hungry and you make one appear then magic has taken place." Not sure if those are the exact words but I think you get what I'm trying to say. For that reason I try to focus on items that we all carry everyday like coins and bills or maybe something that might be found lying around. If you pull out a deck of cards they know right then-and-there that it's a trick... plain and simple, after all who in everyday life carries around a deck of cards with them everywhere they go???

Completely disagree. I ALLWAYS had a deck of cards with me and NOBODY EVER mention that something wrong with it. The justification for the deck of cards in your pocket is your skill with it. If you can do amazing stuff with a deck of cards nobody will think about "blah, blah I'm hungry, give me a humburger". They will think you're the most interesting and amazing person they met.
So if you're completely naked and they ask for a trick. If you have marker and thing to write on you can do really a lot of stuff - magic square, isabella star, eqivoque, postive/negative, PATEO force. If you are naked you can do arm twist illusions, PK touches, coin tricks with borrowed coins, serial number divination on borrowed bill.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I always have my wedding ring on so I usually perform a quick routine with it. It always kills. Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I love "tele-foto"..... I always have my iphone with me....so it's a mind reading effect all set & the spec uses their phone! However, I generally carry a deck of cards. Yes, it does smack of preparedness I guess but most know I do Magic and they generally expect me to carry a deck....so I don't consider it a problem in my case.
Also, never hurts to have a "loop" on your wrist!

I hope all are having a great day!

Bk
Shy
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Shy
Again "On the spot" by greg wilson it's really useful

Lastly I'm doing this a lot:

I borrow two different coins, place them on my hand, close my hand and ask a spectator to name one of the coins, then I open my hand to show that the coin they just named it's gone! OR the coin they just named is the only one left! and somehow the other coin is in their breast pocket !

loading a coin in someones breast pocket it's not that hard, you can learn it from bobo's modern coin magic pdf.
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, dzen871 wrote:
Completely disagree. I ALLWAYS had a deck of cards with me and NOBODY EVER mention that something wrong with it. The justification for the deck of cards in your pocket is your skill with it. If you can do amazing stuff with a deck of cards nobody will think about "blah, blah I'm hungry, give me a humburger". They will think you're the most interesting and amazing person they met.
So if you're completely naked and they ask for a trick. If you have marker and thing to write on you can do really a lot of stuff - magic square, isabella star, eqivoque, postive/negative, PATEO force. If you are naked you can do arm twist illusions, PK touches, coin tricks with borrowed coins, serial number divination on borrowed bill.

I can agree here. What's the saying? Success is 90% preparation, 10% perspiration, something like that. I would think having a deck of cards on you is not so 'over-prepared.' That would be like saying that a professional photographer is over-prepared by always carrying a camera on her. The magic of things is that sometimes they happen at the most unlikely or unexpected times. Now, if you can find a way to make that deck 'mysteriously' appear, then all the better, in regards to the ham sandwich theory.
The art of anything is taking the time to learn everything
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Completely propless? I always go into this one mentalism routine- the circle in the triangle one? Come to think of it, a lot of mentalism routines tend to be good for this situation...
Or, failing that, I grab a piece of paper and make some balls to do a two in the hand one in the pocket. Or the penn and teller c+b. Or the Slydini paper balls over the head bit.

Just a few ideas!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Wish I knew more totally propless stuff Smile

But, if paper and pen can be found then one can write a prediction - and then do a Magi choice style routine (I really like Colin Mcleod's Kolintrol) - or a simple Magic Square.

Or, failing having access to paper or anything else, then either:
Pseudo-flash memory demonstration with their paper money serial number (Fulves);
Elephants in Denmark or Alphabet Backwards (anywhere);
Cube Roots Demo mathemagics (any book on mathemagics);
J Diamond's Invisible Dice (got off Scam School).

I need to learn a couple of body magic tricks ... Smile

Of course, if I'm feeling really bold, could just try and name a thought of card, or try cloud-busting or something ...
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, dzen871 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, yazz wrote:
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz

Yazz, I agree 110% if it ain't there where you are already then it does not seem like magic... someone said, can't remember who, "If I were to pull out a ham sandwich there is no magic involved with that but if someone were to say I'm hungry and you make one appear then magic has taken place." Not sure if those are the exact words but I think you get what I'm trying to say. For that reason I try to focus on items that we all carry everyday like coins and bills or maybe something that might be found lying around. If you pull out a deck of cards they know right then-and-there that it's a trick... plain and simple, after all who in everyday life carries around a deck of cards with them everywhere they go???

dzen871,
I'm not saying it is wrong or right, do it if it's your thing, an I'm not saying I don't enjoy seeing and doing card magic... I'm simply saying that for me, I tend to look around and think about what would seem like a somewhat natural occuring item and then be prepared for using that instead of carrying cards. Don't get me wrong, I use cards and I use them a lot but it's just not my preference. The way I think about magic is that it should be a bit spontaneous and not look prepared and when I see a deck of cards come out of someones pocket I know right then and there that it's all prepared. Stop 10 people on the street and ask how many have a deck of cards.... then stop 10 more. I'd say you will be hard pressed to find a deck of cards on anyone other than yourself in that situation.

I look at it differently if I'm hired for walk around or something of that nature where the people there know that I'm there to do "something" but in any situation when you can do magic with something they do not perceive as a magical item or a prop or gimmicked item then it becomes more of a "what just happened or how did you do that" moment.

Impromptu is define as: not prepared ahead of time, made or done without preparation 1: made, done, or formed on or as if on the spur of the moment : improvised 2: composed or uttered without previous preparation : extemporaneous
So I guess the point I was trying to make is that card magic does not lend itself to be impromptu magic due to this criteria.

That's just my preference and preference does not come with a wrong or right... It's a good thing we don't all think alike anyway, if we did the world would be a pretty boring place and we'd all be doing the very same tricks!
STM70
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of STM70
If you saw max maven's penguin live lecture, his "The Grid of Life" is great. if you need paper and you are at a resteraunt, just take a napkin and rip it up into 20 pieces and number them with a pen. I think this is a great effect.
VidarF
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of VidarF
As I said in the other thread - Palm Prophet and Free Will. Free will is my go to and it uses only borrowed objects. It's great. http://www.lybrary.com/free-will-p-476988.html
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
I always have rubbers bands, a wedding band, loops (on a card in my wallet), coins, and business cards. (Cards and a sharpie only 50% of the time.) I recommend "On The Spot," and "Coffee House Conjuring" by Gregory Wilson as a start.

As far as effects I perform: Pinnacle, U-Turn, Ring Heist, Divorce, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, A questionable trick, Solo (a single coin routine) 3/4 across, coin through table, Rubber Band thru Finger, Melting point, Rubber Band thru pen (Jay Sankey) Magic Square, 1089, icurveball,Revelation, Redrawn, and Mentalism. With Cards I add Ambitious Card were the spectator puts the card in the deck several times, Triumph, In your hand, Lottery,(and other card effects) If the Silverware is right and I won't get in trouble (check with Manager), Liquid Metal and Mind over Metal and ring penetration onto Spoon (sankey). Although I practice these on a regular basis, it will depend on what I feel comfortable with at the time and what is getting the best reactions.
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
I never leave anywhere without my wallet, and no one ever should, of course. So I have several things that easily fit in there, like Powerball 60 (a fantastic completely impromptu mentalism routine that easily fits in your wallet), extreme burn, Kolossal Killer, and blank business cards, to name a few. Even if my wallet got stolen, God forbid, I have some rubber bands with me that I could perform Stairway, CMH with, and use blank business cards to perform a mentalism routine like Hollywood or Bust using my favorite method, the T-Rex method taught by Ran Pink.
Youtube @koreancanuck
Instagram @thekoreancanuck
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2014, TheMag1cian wrote:
Arm Twist
Balducci levitation
3 coins across (I use a version by Sankey and one by Wilson)/Coin Vanishes
Ring Thing move (where you pull your ring off and throw it back on finger)
Pen/Pencil manipulation/vanish
Coin in sugar packet (sweet surprise)

Always thought that the ring this looked great, but could not bring myself to flick off the spectator! Smile
Reality is a real killjoy.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2014, Paddy wrote:
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic.

maybe I don't get a free diagnosis when I see a doctor, but for performance arts it is different. I bet that most singers will at least sing a few notes when asked. A juggler will juggle assuming there is something to juggle. Also if you do a few free tricks, you can hand out a business card, and get booked. I almost never turn down a performance opportunity because It is fun, and not always for a profit.
Reality is a real killjoy.
STM70
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of STM70
Max maven's the grid of life is good. You do need to have a phone that can connect at the internet. You also will need a writing implement and a piece of paper which you can usually find quite easily.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
When asked to show somebody something, even if I have something on me, I really like showing them something with nothing.

A couple of effects that go nicely together are "Any Day for Any Date". I use the Harry Lorayne method for this that Richard Osterlind teaches on his Corinda DVDs. Harry, if you'd like to chime in here, I'd be curious to know in what book of yours teach this, because I'd be interested in obtaining it sometime. In short, someone names any date for the current year and I immeadiatley tell them what day that falls on. This catches them off guard and never fails to create a really strange moment.

Then it takes an even stranger turn when I seemingly give the spectator the power to do this too, using Patrick Redford's "Savant Soup" out of Hexagon.

David
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
A) I NEVER carry a deck of cards with me! The people I usually do some card stuff for...if I pulled out my own deck, they'd laugh. And, as I've written many times, in many of my books - you lose a large percent of your effectiveness when using your own deck - whether people remark about it or not.

b) David, I teach it in a number of my books on memory training. I spend a few pages on it in THE MEMORY BOOK.

c) Read my book, MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY and you'll have miracles to perform anywhere, any time - and all you'd need is paper, pencil, oh and a calculator.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com