The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Show us a trick - no props with you. (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is a must read!

MM
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Greg Wilson Questionable coin trick from on the spot

begins at 1:17 in : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2dIHhYDYCM
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
As a mentalist, I usually perform icurveball (if person has a suitable phone) or maybe something involving a CT.
There is no holy grail!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
It is a rare, RARE thing not to have SOMETHING on me. Like...when in the shower or mowing the lawn. And even when mowing the lawn, I may yet have a silver dollar, poker chip or some other coin-like item in my pocket! I always have silver dollars on me when out of the house, (there's even a Morgan silver dollar in a compartment in my wallet - and I never leave home without my wallet). So I can do coin routines. If I don't have at least one coin on me, (again, a near impossibility), then I would borrow a coin or other small item and go through a routine of vanishes and appearances.
Iron Butterfly
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
How can one NOT have a coin handy? I always leave the house with a coin shell and nest of wallets to play around. To the above who only performs for money..pity on you. Some of my most fun moments have been performing/practicing for kids/adults at the deli line or supermarket. Priceless.
Casey Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Casey Sparrow
Gregory Wilson - Coffee House Conjuring is a must perfect for Starbucks but can be adapted for most other public places.
The man is a genius!

CS
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
"Show me a trick? Show me your money!"

Borrow a coin or two, and do a mini coin routine.
Borrow a couple of bills of different value, and do "roll the bills" from Mark Wilson's book.

In both cases, keep the change Smile

P!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Martin Gardner's "IMPROMPTU MAGIC" (I KNOW the book 'cuz I helped it to get published when I was staying in the "CHARLIE MILLER SUITE" at MAGIC INC.

I sold Avner Eisenberg his first TT at "Inc.". He later told me that he "got" most of his act out of Gardner's book! Avner toured with the KARAMAZOV BROTHERS.

The skills and knowledge that you carry in your head, are a lot lighter than props in a trunk!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Aberdeen1234
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Aberdeen1234
Yes, On the Spot by Gregory Wilson is all about the impromptu.
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
Agree with the rest - definately check out On the Spot by Greg Wilson
Also Lifesavers by Michael Weber - great book on "Improvised vs Impromptu Magic"
My keychain and wallet is loaded with a bunch of different effects so I'm always ready (Check out Linkey by Alan Rorrison, and Play Money by Nick Diffatte)
If there's pen and paper/napkin handy you can do mentalism
And don't forget to check out Disjointed by Joe Russell! Fantastic version of the arm twist illusion

- Yazz
Dan Eckert Illusionist
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dan Eckert Illusionist
Always carry a deck of cards with you. If there is one thing I ever learned, a deck of cards should be in a pocket at all times. 52 possibilities awaiting at a moments notice... Plus, what screams "magician" more than a guy who always is prepared with a deck of cards?
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
When someone asks me to see a trick and I don't have anything with me which is a rare occurance because I always have cards with me I do the thumb through ear just as a quick trick and tell them I will show them more later!
Hope that helps
-Josh
Casey Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Casey Sparrow
A simple mantalism / prediction usually dose it

CS
Garbo
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Garbo
Another thumbs up for "on the spot" from me!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I did Flipstick with a pencil at the corner store in Hermon, Maine a couple years ago. These folks apparently have never seen magic. I was so pleased to have thrilled them with a pencil and a few quarters!

Doug
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, yazz wrote:
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz

Yazz, I agree 110% if it ain't there where you are already then it does not seem like magic... someone said, can't remember who, "If I were to pull out a ham sandwich there is no magic involved with that but if someone were to say I'm hungry and you make one appear then magic has taken place." Not sure if those are the exact words but I think you get what I'm trying to say. For that reason I try to focus on items that we all carry everyday like coins and bills or maybe something that might be found lying around. If you pull out a deck of cards they know right then-and-there that it's a trick... plain and simple, after all who in everyday life carries around a deck of cards with them everywhere they go???
I caught one of Jim Tyler's lectures at IBM last year and he said the last year or so that he worked restaurants he would challenge himself and not carry anything on him into the restaurant. Everything he did was done at that moment and with no props... now that is how magic should be perceived. Even if you were to have a gimmicked bill or coin or whatever on you it should look as thought it is magical not gimmicked or prepared. That being said, I always have something "up my sleeve" or not too far out of reach so I can rattle their brains just a little bit harder. If I have bills or coins with me I can always do something but if I have my wallet with me (and I usually do) there is always something extra in there or stashed in my money clip and I can make it seem as though I used their bill or coin for the effect.
Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
How about Ringja by Nie Te? Borrow a ring or two and you are ready to go
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
Ringja's great! Some of the moves are difficult to get down, but it's worth it - you could do at least 20 mins solid with a couple of rings having watched this!
Taterini: Totally agree with you - you should see my wallet and keychain - it's loaded with cool stuff!
Also I usually wear loops which are my favourite thing and the world and you can do a bunch of awesome stuff with a TT

- Yazz
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
At bars, linking straws is always killer. Just carry around a pocketknife on your keychain and trim them when needed.

As for the 3 coin+1 card matrix--I'm not sure I know the effect. Can it be any card? Like could you use your drivers' license?