The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Show us a trick - no props with you. (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
It's question that you are always asked when people know that you do magic. I'm just getting back into magic after several years due to my son showing an interest and have always been asked to 'Show us a trick' when I'm out with a group of friends. I've always given the same reply over the last few years in that I gave up magic and don't do it anymore.

So my question is, in preparation for the next time I'm asked, what is the best trick you recommend when asked this question? Needs to be a trick where you have no props with you, only what is around you in a restaurant or bar etc.

Be good to hear what you recommend so that I can start practicing and getting back into some close up work.
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
110 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Vanishing Salt Shaker is my go to effect if I don't have anything on me. This simple effect always kills.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Sorry about a similar post again!! Did do a search but nothing came up that was relevant.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Take a look at Doc Hilford's E'voke. Some powerful tools there.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Check out On The Spot by Greg Wilson. Some great impromptu stuff including Some coins, which are always available. If I had to perform stuff with borrowed coins, I would probably do his 3/4 across (a in the hands 3 coins across which is very, very fooling) followed by a 1 coin routine that includes some body loading on the spectator and perhaps ends by changing into a beer mat rather than a jumbo coin.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Way to go is definitely to borrow a coin or a bill. And as David mentioned, Greg Wilson's On the Spot DVD has some great stuff. There's a nice "sponge ball" routine with rolled-up paper napkins.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
In fact, Bobo's coin magic is free online as a pdf and has enough to put a good routine together. Look at "gone" in the vanishes section to learn how to do coin to shoulder, which gets great reactions and used to be my finale when I first started coin magic. Carrying some rubber bands in your wallet also opens up a lot of options, as you can do rubber band and bill tricks.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3079 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Torn and restored napkin, borrow four quarters do a coins across, John Carney's coin and glass that ends with the glass vanishing (forgot the title, it's in Carneycopia)
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3079 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Oh yeah, and Justin Miller's Neo Coin Matrix. Three coins and a card and you are ready to go.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Disappearing glass or salt shaker, coin through table or napkin, equivoque are a few that come to mind. Mentalism effects using nothing more than pencil and paper will also fry the minds of the spectators if done well. You may want to invest a bit of money in some books or DVD's to get a more thorough understanding.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
If I have nothin on me.  I will make my little Finger disappear. I always have my fingers with me.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi
Here are a few thoughts
1. I second "on the spot". A must have.
2. You could put a few things in your wallet. I never leave home without my wallet or keys. I have stargazer and regular rubber bands, a gimmicked coin, and a bill effect (I currently like "Play Money").
3. Pick a good "bar bet" trick and learn it.
4. Learn one good coin trick with regular coins. "on the spot" has a few good ideas.
5. Learn one or two good card tricks with a regular deck. I do the first trick I ever learned at age 8.

Have fun!
KJ
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Arm Twist
Balducci levitation
3 coins across (I use a version by Sankey and one by Wilson)/Coin Vanishes
Ring Thing move (where you pull your ring off and throw it back on finger)
Pen/Pencil manipulation/vanish
Coin in sugar packet (sweet surprise)
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
Knowledge is wealth. It is not tricks that make an act, you r THE ACT. If I had nothing on my hand for close up I can always entertain with borrowed coins, currency, paper, shoe lace, rings, watches, a load of mental effects,.......
This is your show you shud do it, if a dancer /singer can do impromptu, you as a magician shud develop your skill level to do impromptu.... I detest those magicians who say "sorry I didn't get any of my stuff" These are the people who make their props the reason of the magic happening not "THE MAGICIAN"
Bottom line- LOVE magic, LEARN magic, PERFECT magic.
Regards,
Raj.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 09:37, RajeshLGov wrote:
Knowledge is wealth. It is not tricks that make an act, you r THE ACT. If I had nothing on my hand for close up I can always entertain with borrowed coins, currency, paper, shoe lace, rings, watches, a load of mental effects,.......
This is your show you shud do it, if a dancer /singer can do impromptu, you as a magician shud develop your skill level to do impromptu.... I detest those magicians who say "sorry I didn't get any of my stuff" These are the people who make their props the reason of the magic happening not "THE MAGICIAN"
Bottom line- LOVE magic, LEARN magic, PERFECT magic.
Regards,
Raj.

So True. I love having props but you'd never catch me saying "Sorry, I don't have my stuff with me". That being said, I also agree with a poster above who reminded us that we're not trained monkeys who have to perform on a whim over and over jus because we're asked. I work in schools. The kids have asked me to levitate over and over. I finally found myself at the top of a stairway, all the students positioned perfectly at the bottom and I levitated. I heard shrieks and screams and they wanted my autograph. It may not have been as impressive if I did it on a whim and didn't build it up.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is solid gold.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Magicfish is correct. Excellent resource!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 11:21, Paddy wrote:
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic.

I think this is sad. I hope I never see the day where I would only perform magic for the money. Fortunately, I still love magic to the point where I enjoy the interaction with someone and seeing someone enjoy a magic moment.

KJ
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Agreed. I enjoy the social aspect of it. I also enjoy making somebody's day more interesting. i.e - was in Subway yesterday and the price at the cashier was $6.46. I pulled out a 5 and appeared very embarrassed that I didn't have enough. Did a quick Kozlowski changing the 5 to a 20. The whole crew gathered around during this then thanked me because they were having a boring shift. In fact, I met one of my best friends that way. I think it's a contextual thing. If they're demanding that you perform or you're just not in the mood (which happens) or perhaps the timing/setting/environment isn't optimal then I have no problem declining. It's a quite potent passion and a majority of the time I love performing just as much as the spectator likes watching.