The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Samson Airline Micro Wireless Mic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I used my new Samson Airline Micro wireless microphone with my Fender Passport 300 system for the first time over New Year's Eve. Wow! I've been using a Countryman 300 with an Electro-Voice wireless bodypack and receiver. The Airline shoves the E-V to second backup mic.

The Airline earpiece has no wires to a bodypack. The receiver and earpiece are rechargeable. I got a full six hours of showtime out the units with power to spare on New Year's Eve.

The earpiece stays in place and the sound was flawless. At $250.00, it's a bargain compared to the $700.00 E-V and Countryman. I'm buying a second Airline unit as a first backup today. Many thanks to Dal Sanders for pointing me towards this mic.

If you haven't discovered this mic, look it up. I bought mine at Sam Ash Music. Their reliable and outstanding customer service has kept me coming back for years.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
*Countryman E6...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've been using a Samson Airline Micro Wireless Mic for 11 months now (along with my Mackie SRM-150 PA system). Very happy with this Microphone / PA set-up.

Over Christmas time, I found the limits of the charge for the mic. I had done 6 shows (some longer and some shorter) in the period of a few days, and it died during the 7th show. So, even though it says that the charge is good for 6-8 hours, I think it might be closer to the lower end. I should have known to re-charge it every night, but I got a little lazy. Smile Still, I'm very, very happy with it.

I discovered the mic because of some threads here on The Magic Café, and discovered the PA system because of Dennis Dowhy demoing it for me a few years ago. I've posted photos of my PA set-up on Facebook.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks for the information Skip. I had considered a Shure wireless headset. Possibly Samson is a good alternative.
Max
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
My son is a juggler and uses Samson Airline Micro and says it is the best system he has ever used. I have also sold several of these and so far everyone really likes them. I'm a lapel guy so I've never used one myself.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I have been using my Samson Airline Micro for almost 2 years. After that, it no longer worked. Yes, there is a signal in both transmitter and receiver. But, it no longer produces any sound. I guess, the batteries are now weak but no signs too of it. I plan to have it opened and change those batteries.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Lou -

I'm glad I bought mine at a local sound store, and added on the 3 year warranty that the sound store offered. If it stops working on me, I'll let them repair it or replace the batteries. Smile

I'm thinking about buying a second one as a spare... hopefully on a different channel.

- Donald
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Just when I was about to get another Shure, I see this thread. Going to look into it, thanks for the tip! Donald, I've added you on Facebook to see your PA setup. I need something for smaller venues than my Passport system.

Where is the best place to get the Airline?
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I bought the extended warranty, as well, for just that reason. I figured if the batteries were to fail, it would be within the 2nd and 3rd year. I'm buying the second unit so I'll always have one fully charged and ready to go.

As to where...I shop at Sam Ash Music for most of my electronics. The customer service and warranties at our Raleigh store are Five Star reliable. Dal Sanders recommends Nelson Business Supply at 770-338-1780. - Tell him Dal sent you.

Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Thanks, Skip! I'll check that out. To be honest, I'm a bit hesitant as the "wireless" part scares me a bit between mic and beltpack, but the reviews you guys are giving make it sound like it's not a problem. I was just trying to buy a Shure BLX14 yesterday, but our local place was out. This comes in at $50 cheaper and I have to say, I like the looks of it.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Joey -

The mic has a built in transmitter that ends up behind your ear, and the receiver is a different small unit (matchbox size). The receiver is what connects to your PA. Only 2 pieces (both with rechargable batteries built into them), and no beltpack.

I sent you a PM on Facebook with a link to my photos.

- Donald
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
I bought mine when they first came out and use it constantly. Love it. They come in 6 channels as I recall. I have plans to get a couple more to use when several need to be on mic.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's a review video of the Samson Airline Micro, that I once discovered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7GEKhTtFgc

Watching that video might help you to understand it better (although they have it hooked to a computer, and not a PA).

One thing I learned about the mic after buying it, is that part of the earset no longer pivots open and closed (to make getting it on your ear somewhat easier). The loop is somewhat flexible, but no longer has a hinge in it. I confirmed that this was true by contacting Samson. But I've been using mine with no problems.

- Donald
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Some headset mic's are made for people with normal head size.

What if you have a large face and head will it still go 1" from
the corner of your mouth.

I have and use a DPA and had to have it tricked out to fit my
big head.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Joey, if you visit a local Sam Ash or Guitar City, they'll let you test drive it before buying. Once you try it, I think you'll love it. My ONLY concern with my unit is the inflexibility in channel selection. I occassionally come up against other festival performers on the same channel and I can't change freqs. If that happens, I pull out my backup EV multi-channel wireless.

IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I switched from countryman e-6 to the Samson 2 yrs ago. Very happy. No more buying batteries on the way to show. I put it on charger as I'm setting up the show and it's ready to go at show time
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Ok I opened up the mic part and found that the wire going to the mic was detached inside. Soldered it back and now it works again. I guess the flexible part was pulled unintentionally.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
What channel did you guys opt for N1, N3 or N5?

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Just change the rechargeable batteries every 2 years and you will be good to go.

How much does it cost to replace the batteries in the Sampson?

I have and use and Anchor Explorer PRO and change the re-chargeable battery ever 3 years and all is good.

Buy the batery that Anchor suggests don't buy from Batteries Plus. Learned that the hard way.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
So glad you guys posted this. I'm in need of one and I'm going to see if Sam Ash or Guitar Center has this. Donald, thanks for that video link. It was helpful.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."