The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making Spring Bills/Flowers (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Another essential reference for making your own flowers is 'Victory Bouquet' by Francis B. Martineau . (Martineau is best known for his amazing artistic contribution to the three-volume Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic for which he drew thousands of illustrations and hand-lettered the entire text.)

https://www.lybrary.com/victory-bouquet-p-243.html

This is Martineau's method of making a large bouquet (complete with long stems) of spring flowers , but this book would also be enormously useful to anyone wanting to make individual spring flowers for the traditional Flowers from Paper Cone production.

$2.00 from Lybrary.com for an e-book (PDF) version.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Another historical image of Spring Flowers for anyone researching how to make their own. This is scanned from Illustrated Magic by Ottokar Fischer. It would be nice to see this in color , but even in the black & white photo we can see how the inner part of the petals have a different color, so it gives a nice effect of having more realism than a single color petal.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2022, David Todd wrote:
Another historical image of Spring Flowers for anyone researching how to make their own. This is scanned from Illustrated Magic by Ottokar Fischer. It would be nice to see this in color , but even in the black & white photo we can see how the inner part of the petals have a different color, so it gives a nice effect of having more realism than a single color petal.

David,

I just got back to this thread after several years. I rarely visit the Café these days (social media overload, I guess).

I'm sorry for not acknowledging your appreciation for the tutorial I posted on Facebook. So please accept a very long overdue thank you!

I am also enjoying the additional information you are supplying, especially the historical references.

Cheers!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Marshall used 100% rag paper with a cockle finish (think Onionskin). It came in various pastel colors of yellow, pink, blue, pale green, and red. He would then dye one end of the flower with one color of dye and use a second color on the other end. He made all of the flowers for Neil Foster's zombie. He also had many varieties of blooms. He sold the spring flower business with the silk business to the Sequins in the 1960's. They ran it a few years quit.
When I started making them, I hunted the paper. I finally found and old guy in NJ who remembered the paper. It had not be been made in over 40 years. It was made by a cigarette paper company.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2022, hugmagic wrote:
Marshall used 100% rag paper with a cockle finish (think Onionskin). It came in various pastel colors of yellow, pink, blue, pale green, and red. He would then dye one end of the flower with one color of dye and use a second color on the other end. He made all of the flowers for Neil Foster's zombie. He also had many varieties of blooms. He sold the spring flower business with the silk business to the Sequins in the 1960's. They ran it a few years quit.
When I started making them, I hunted the paper. I finally found and old guy in NJ who remembered the paper. It had not be been made in over 40 years. It was made by a cigarette paper company.

Thank you for the information, Richard. (too bad the specific rag paper that Marshall used is not available anymore , but it's still good information to know). Do any surviving examples of the Marshall spring flowers exist ? I would be interested to see photographs if you have any. I used the Ask Alexander database to search through Marshall's advertisements in Sphinx and Linking Ring (among others), but could not find any photos, only line drawing illustrations. (it's possible I overlooked some ads with photos; even so I expect any ads with photos from that era would be in black & white).

The other ones I've searched in vain to find photographs are the Madblood Creations spring flowers, which were advertised as being true-to-life, in a great variety of shapes and sizes. The only photo I could find is for a Madblood item called "Mad Hat Super Production" , which shows their spring Roses.

-------

One thing I came across in my research was David Devant's advice on using Spring Flowers:

Quote:
"Spring flowers, surely the most misused articles in the whole gamut of a conjurer's apparatus, when in doubt the conjurer seems to produce a hundred bedraggled spring flowers, in the wrong places and under the wrong circumtances.

Bautier De Kolta the inventor of these flowers, twisted a piece of paper into a cornucopia and spring flowers flowed out of it until they filled an inverted sunshade (parasol) to overflowing. By the way, before I go any further, Bautier made every flower himself and he made them not of the watch spring as now, but of "thin" steel wire which took up much less room. It seems to me that the flowers are never used lavishly enough, it wants at least two thousand to make a show, but you seldom see a performer produce so many, but of course this is a big load. I had a method which arranged for that, but before I tell you this method I have another grouse to make. I had used these flowers for years and never realizing they look most unlike flowers, they look more like the paper decorations which are strung together for Christmas time. I was producing a Chinese act when I noticed this, and what I did was as follows:

I had all the flowers dyed green so that they represented foliage only and then I added one flower representing a white or red rose one for every nine leaves of foliage; there you had the natural effect at once, a green mass jeweled with flowers. The flowers may be all one color or a couple of colors, and should look as much like roses as possible. I beg of you all who are using these flowers to copy this method and I am sure you will be pleased with the result."

-David Devant
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2022, Michael Baker wrote:

David,

I just got back to this thread after several years. I rarely visit the Café these days (social media overload, I guess).

I'm sorry for not acknowledging your appreciation for the tutorial I posted on Facebook. So please accept a very long overdue thank you!

I am also enjoying the additional information you are supplying, especially the historical references.

Cheers!

~michael

Hi, Michael -

Good to see you here again. I guess we're all burned out with too many social media options; I know how you feel !

Here is all the information I've collected so far: https://tinyurl.com/springflowersdoc
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I have some originals that I will need to take photos of.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2022, David Todd wrote:

Hi, Michael -

Good to see you here again. I guess we're all burned out with too many social media options; I know how you feel !

Here is all the information I've collected so far: https://tinyurl.com/springflowersdoc

Great info. I tried to share my PDF tutorial here, but the Café system says the file is too big.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2022, Michael Baker wrote:
I tried to share my PDF tutorial here, but the Café system says the file is too big.

I think to share a PDF or other large file the best method is to share it on Google Drive or Dropbox and post the link here. Both Google Drive and Dropbox offer a certain amount of free storage for file hosting (photos, documents) . Dropbox up to 2GB of storage for free. Google is up to 15GB free.

I think you can also publish on Lybrary.com . Most self-published works on Lybrary cost a certain price, but I have noticed some e-publications there offered for no cost. Or even if you only charged a nominal fee of $1.00 for your manuscript , that would return a bit on your investment of time for putting together the tutorial.

Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
If any of you are on Facebook (SMETalk Magic), I posted a complete tutorial on making spring flowers, with photos. You might have to search for it, as it was a few months ago.
You made that FB group very hard to join... want to click the bot blocking answers... so bad... Those are the best answers, man. ????
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
263 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
I'm having difficulty finding this tutorial. A FB search of this discussion group does not bring up the OP by name, or by the subject of "spring" or "flower." Did some kind soul happen to keep a copy of it? Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Quote:
On May 30, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
If any of you are on Facebook (SMETalk Magic), I posted a complete tutorial on making spring flowers, with photos. You might have to search for it, as it was a few months ago.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2024, Tukaram wrote:
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
You made that FB group very hard to join... want to click the bot blocking answers... so bad... Those are the best answers, man. ????

Just to clarify, Michael Baker did not make anything difficult to join. He is not one of the administrators of the SME Talk Magic FB group. If you're having a problem joining the group , contact someone who is in charge of the group. It's not Michael's responsibility.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2024, B.W. McCarron wrote:
I'm having difficulty finding this tutorial. A FB search of this discussion group does not bring up the OP by name, or by the subject of "spring" or "flower." Did some kind soul happen to keep a copy of it? Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Quote:
On May 30, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:

Just now I went to the Facebook group SME Talk Magic and in the search box I typed "flowers". Michaels tutorial was the very first result in the search.