The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Advice on Vanishing Bird Cage (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I corresponded with Zany Blaney a some years ago, the only hook up he ever used was just the parachute cord from left to right arm. There is not details for the Vanish. Best to just get a copy of the Abbott's Magic instructions and as that is the hookup Blaney used.

He did give his his special knot for making it adjustable for different jackets he wore. That is the only advice hw would share.

No offense, Bill, as I greatly respect and value your posts, but this one is totally wrong. I owned an Abbott cage many years ago, before I bought my Owens. I now own the Blaney cage, along with Walter's detailed instructions (taken from his personal notes) in Rudy's photo above. Walter's hookup is entirely different than that in the instructions included with the Abbott cage.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I only referenced the Abbott instructions, for the guide to how the rope travels on the body for those that don't own the Zany Cage.

But Walter told me he only used parachute cord and drew me plans.

So you have instructions written by someone else, taken from notes. I hardly see there that is detailed by Walter. You are getting information on what someone thinks the notes are referring to.

I have an actual drawing drawn by Walter himself. If that is not included in your notes, then you are missing important information.

Did you read the article how Walter would fly to major cities and make sales calls on corporations, to sell his magic act. He would wear the cage all day long, and he would constantly perform the Vanishing Bird cage where ever he went for people close up.

Like any good magician, I am sure Walter purchased a reel at on time and worked with it to see if it was something he would use. That does he actually ever used it constantly.

I am sure you will never learn or perform the effect. I can tell you are very excited just owning copies of these two famous magicians cages.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Well, Bill, that's quite a post...particularly given that you have not read the instructions included with the Blaney Cage, and have absolutely no idea what those instructions actually include (e.g. Walters hand written notes, his detailed diagrams and photos, his correspondencea with various cage manufacturers, etc., etc.)

Quite apart from that, I must say that I expected 'better' from you than your comment that "I am sure you will never learn or perform the effect. I can tell you are very excited just owning copies of these two famous magician cages." Wow! Really??!! You have absolutely no idea what my experience with the Vanishing Birdcage is. I have been performing the effect for sixty years. It was one of the effects that I performed in the Palace of Mystery at the Magic Castle. Harry Blackstone Jr. came backstage to compliment me on my execution of the vanish (using an Owens cage).

Bottom line? This cage is a work of art, and a gift to those of us who perform the effect. You might consider investing in it yourself, Bill, should you still be performing.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Gentlemen - I've been following this post for weeks now. I had an old Lindhorst cage. I spent months getting it down. I worked at the time for Bert Green at the Hollywood Magic Corner on Hollywood Blvd., and Ivar. I was about 19 when Berg "gifted" me this cage. About a year ago I read the Vol 2 Tommy Wonder notes on his cage and pulls. I love his detail and thinking. I was about to put down some hard cash for the new version and I see here the Blaney option being well reviewed. I have to have a table or box hookup so I can do this mid show. I hear Blaney cage has that now. Between Wonder and Blaney - which is superior for the worker? Speed (boy is Wonder correct about the forces in his book. Wish I had read that 40 years ago!) Also comfort wearing the pull or cord for half an hour of a show before hand. Finally - Tommy's seems to have an aid based on his book that lets the cage stay up there after the vanish. Does the Blaney have this? What is the group's recommendation as the best of what is available now for a worker? Thank you all so much!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Blaney told me he uses the standard parachute cord, and the standard classic hookup. I seen Blaney perform at a convention. He did a repeat vanish about 5 or six time in a row. He simply reached under his jacket with his right hand, going the middle of his back, and came out with the cage in his hand ready to vanish again. No pulls, or devices. Fantastic performance. The repeat did not really reveal anything, as it looked like a magical production of a cage from nowhere. He had very good patter routine. You learn fast what you can do with a standard Owen's Vanishing Bird Cage, when you put the work and practice in.

Many times he would wear the apparatus to his sales calls and be ready to perform the vanishing cage for the buyer. He said that it always go him booked.

He created a slip know for the left arm, that he could adjust the cord easily for different suits he wore to meetings. He sent me a drawing of his adjustable knot.

He never revealed his exact method and handling to anyone or in any book. I would only guess he did this because, I read that is daughter is a magician and performs the Vanishing Bird Cage in her shows.

Blaney is was a tall man so his hands were large and could easily hold the cage one handed.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Blaney told me he uses the standard parachute cord, and the standard classic hookup. I seen Blaney perform at a convention. He did a repeat vanish about 5 or six time in a row. He simply reached under his jacket with his right hand, going the middle of his back, and came out with the cage in his hand ready to vanish again. No pulls, or devices. Fantastic performance. The repeat did not really reveal anything, as it looked like a magical production of a cage from nowhere. He had very good patter routine. You learn fast what you can do with a standard Owen's Vanishing Bird Cage, when you put the work and practice in.

Many times he would wear the apparatus to his sales calls and be ready to perform the vanishing cage for the buyer. He said that it always go him booked.

He created a slip know for the left arm, that he could adjust the cord easily for different suits he wore to meetings. He sent me a drawing of his adjustable knot.

He never revealed his exact method and handling to anyone or in any book. I would only guess he did this because, I read that is daughter is a magician and performs the Vanishing Bird Cage in her shows.

Blaney is was a tall man so his hands were large and could easily hold the cage one handed.

Thank you so much for this info! I got a Tommy Wonder cage. Came without instructions!!!! Going nuts trying to figure it out. ANYONE HAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEW WONDER CAGE? PM Me? Has everything there including fixing and a video on opening but no setup or use instructions . . . Thanks men!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Rudy - I have the Books of Wonder. Still think there is more to instructions than what is in there. Going back to look again. Thank you!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
StarManager, There were DVDs published of Tommy Wonder setting up the Cage around the time the books came out. Very detailed. I believe they were published by L&L publishing. Murphy's I believe now has them. Search the Café for Tommy Wonder Vanishing Bird Cage video DVD.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
StarManager, There were DVDs published of Tommy Wonder setting up the Cage around the time the books came out. Very detailed. I believe they were published by L&L publishing. Murphy's I believe now has them. Search the Café for Tommy Wonder Vanishing Bird Cage video DVD.

Bill you are GOLDEN! Thank you SOOOO MUCH for this nugget! I'm a Murphy's dealer and will check with Austin Murphy Monday. I so appreciate your time and advice here Bill! Thank you! I love this Café! Someone always saves my sorry butt! Happy Thanksgiving!

JT
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
To echo Rudy statement, I was at the Blaney memorial at Abbott's for Walter. Lance did the cage for the first time and I later saw it. It is a work of art made for a pro. The Blaney family considers Dan like the brother they never had (the daughter's words not mine). Walter and he we were close.
As for the Wonder Cage, Chris Reesman made a couple of cages for him. He told me that it was kind of tricky to set up but vanished very quickly. Not recommended for a repeat vanish. Having seen both cage, I can honestly say the Sommers cage will probably out live the performer and the Wonder cage 4 times over. The Wonder cage reminds me of the Milson Worth Silver Metor cage as far as construction.
Having said all that you need to practice with any of them. Also realize that Walter was a big man. Things he could do with a cage will not work as well if you 5'4" with 26" sleeve length.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thanks Hugmagic! I used a Lindhorse large cage (I am 6'1) for 20 years professionally. Love it but had my share of snags no matter what. Always a nervous second at the moment of vanish. The Wonder cage reduces that risk based on design. I have not worked a Blaney cage so just don't know there. I agree that practice makes perfect and the big secret with all the cages is to set incredible tension on line just before the vanish. Still looking for more tips on Wonder cage than what is in the book. Appreciate you all here! Thanks for your thoughts and chiming in. Just started a new venture at hotels and resorts and convinced this is an opener for these. More info on that at the BANISH Magazine special edition this month at https://viewer.joomag.com/special/0142824001636674409?short&
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As for the Lindhorst cage problems, that is why Billy McComb went to slow motion vanish. He had a scar in his wrist from a bar that popped loose.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
As for the Lindhorst cage problems, that is why Billy McComb went to slow motion vanish. He had a scar in his wrist from a bar that popped loose.

Bullet catch and birdcage - take our lives into our own hands . . .
alchemy92
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of alchemy92
The Vanishing Bird Cage can take many months or years to perfect.

The guy wears a short sleeve shirt, to prevent things from getting caught.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2021, alchemy92 wrote:
The Vanishing Bird Cage can take many months or years to perfect.

The guy wears a short sleeve shirt, to prevent things from getting caught.

Who wears a short sleeve shirt?
www.cesaral.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How about some info on this guy, Daniel Summers, never heard of him. If he so good at making cages, why doesn't he advertise and post of the Café.

Looks like he is just a name you guys made up.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
www.cesaral.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
How about some info on this guy, Daniel Summers, never heard of him. If he so good at making cages, why doesn't he advertise and post of the Café.

Looks like he is just a name you guys made up.

He is an illusion builder and long-time friend of the Blaney family. He is the current authorized manufacturer of the Blaney Ladder Levitation:

http://www.danielsummers.com/ladderlevitation.html

There was a celebration of life graveside service for Walter Blaney coinciding with this year's Abbott's Get Together. At it they mentioned they were carrying on the Blaney legacy by producing more of his items. Walter's Daughter Shannon shared a bit about the friendship when introducing Dan just before the broken wand ceremony:

You can learn more about him through this interview with Scott Wells: https://www.themagicwordpodcast.com/scot......-summers
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I was there. Yes, Walter and Dan were very close. And he has the full blessing of the family on the cage project.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com