The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Advice on Vanishing Bird Cage (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1429 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I'd be very interested to hear about the quality of the reel itself.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2021, Mac_Stone wrote:
I'd be very interested to hear about the quality of the reel itself.

The take up reel is nice very well made. It’s appears to be all aluminum.
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A new product, the Tommy Wonder vanishing Bird cage is now available on the magic market. They will go fast.

Comes with his style cage and take up reel

I believe they will sell out fast.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
A new product, the Tommy Wonder vanishing Bird cage is now available on the magic market. They will go fast.

Comes with his style cage and take up reel

I believe they will sell out fast.

That's what we've been discussing, Bill. The take up reel does look nice, but as Rudy Sanchez has noted, the big question is how well is the cage constructed. Specifically, how well are the rivets made. Before I purchased my Owens cage (which, unfortunately, I sold many years ago), I owned an Abbotts cage. I had nothing but trouble with the Abbotts, but the Owens was a joy to perform. Not saying that the Tommy Wonder cages now being sold aren't better than that old Abbotts - just saying we don't know...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The take up reel is sold separately, but when I went to website a few hours later, they had taken down the ad.

The wonder cage is just like the small India Cage. He had to put extra wires over all the wires sticking out. I have the Wonder video where he points out all the points that needs to be covered so nothing catches.

I also owned the Abbott's and Owen cages. Over the years sold them off. The Owen was just to large, it was hard and stiff for an smooth collapse.

As far as if the new cages are better, hard to say, as the advertising, says the guy making them, added a number of changes to the design, so it is not a true Tommy Wonder model.

Once again, they are trying to sell something without a live demo and review by the craftsman who makes them. I did not read refund policy either.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Bill…where do you get your info? The take up reel isn’t sold separately nor is the pulley.
www.cesaral.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Like I said, I received an email from a dealer, I am not allowed to give their name on the Café.

I emailed them that I went to their website to order it, and they replied like they did not know anything about their listing earlier yesterday.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Bill, you are not allowed to give the name of the dealer on the Café??!! Is that a new Café rule or does your dealer not want its name given? I ask because posters name dealers all the time on the Café. In any event, apropos of Rudy's comments on cage construction, I note that Tommy Wonder provides an excellent primer on the do's and don't's of cage construction in Vol. II of 'The Books of Wonder.' He also describes a simple test you can perform to determine if a cage is flawed.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As I understand, the best cages from Owens where when Fred Rickard was making them. I know Walter Blaney always had a Rickard made cage for years. Owen's cages made after Fred's passing were the same dimensions but they had some trouble with the riveting which is why they often had to be broken in. The riveting is the key. Some cages where made with little blobs of solder on the bars to hold them up and they just did not hold up over the years.
As for the Abbott cages, I asked Harry Blackstone why he used a non rigid cage compared to rigid. He said first off he wore through half the show so it need to be flexible. (if you see me sometime in person asks me about how he got rid of the cage during the show). Second, he did not want to break a kid's fingers if he stuck them through the bars. What most people don't know was Harry's cages used slightly different type of brass than the normal Abbott's cages. They were less susceptible to the bending of the bars. BTW, Harry learned to do the birdcage from Bert Allerton not his father.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
That's really interesting information, Richard. As I said earlier, the breadth of knowledge about this art, of a number of the members of the Café, is truly extraordinary. Thanks for taking the time to post that.
LFoxx
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of LFoxx
Unless they've changed the reel that comes with the Tommy Wonder set, it's not a take up reel. It's just a locking reel. It only locks the line long, and not short.

That makes the vanish less "crisp" as you'll be pulling line out of the reel when you do the vanish.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The reel is suppose to lock the reel long. Then when you are on stage, you push your hands holding the cage a little away from you body. Then it retracts into the reel and locks. at the proper length so you can vanish the cage. This is how a proper reel works.

LFOXX, did you research the working, and did you buy the Wonder set, or are you just guessing?

This prop and effect is not a buy and instantly go out and perform it, it takes several weeks work before performing it.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
I bought the Wonder vanishing birdcage, but never got around to unpacking it, so I can't shed any light on the reel 'controversy.' Within days of obtaining it, I received word that Daniel Summers was building a limited number of Blaney cages, so I purchased one of those. Have to put my Wonder cage in the Café sale thread one of these.....
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
I bought the Wonder vanishing birdcage, but never got around to unpacking it, so I can't shed any light on the reel 'controversy.' Within days of obtaining it, I received word that Daniel Summers was building a limited number of Blaney cages, so I purchased one of those. Have to put my Wonder cage in the Café sale thread one of these.....

I would like to see a review of the cage once you receive it. I would also like to know why you never unpacked the Wonder cage! It seems to be of a higher quality cage? Hmm, very curious.........
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, hypnoman1 wrote:
Quote:

I would like to see a review of the cage once you receive it. I would also like to know why you never unpacked the Wonder cage! It seems to be of a higher quality cage? Hmm, very curious.........

In my opinion the Blaney Cage is far superior to the Wonder set. It’s nice but the cage isn’t built to the specs of the Summers Blaney Cage.
www.cesaral.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, hypnoman1 wrote:
Quote:

I have no doubt but that the Wonder cage is a good one, but the Blaney cage, along with Walter's detailed instructions (based on YEARS of perfecting the cage) represents the very best cage available. If you're asking for a review of the Wonder cage, as I said, I never opened it, so I can't give you a review. If, instead, you are asking about the Blaney cage, I can only say that it is extraordinary. It collapses like butter. Superb craftsmanship by Daniel Summers. It surpasses the quality of the Owen's cage that I had many, many years ago. Expensive....but well worth the price.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I corresponded with Zany Blaney a some years ago, the only hook up he ever used was just the parachute cord from left to right arm. There is not details for the Vanish. Best to just get a copy of the Abbott's Magic instructions and as that is the hookup Blaney used.

He did give his his special knot for making it adjustable for different jackets he wore. That is the only advice hw would share.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I corresponded with Zany Blaney a some years ago, the only hook up he ever used was just the parachute cord from left to right arm. There is not details for the Vanish. Best to just get a copy of the Abbott's Magic instructions and as that is the hookup Blaney used.

He did give his his special knot for making it adjustable for different jackets he wore. That is the only advice hw would share.

Actually 100 lucky owners have Walters detailed instructions for his vanishing birdcage hookup and his secret something that allowed complete freedom to be able to holdout his cage comfortably as long as necessary until he was ready to perform it again. His coveted secrets including one of the finest vanishing birdcages can be purchased directly from Daniel Summers.

www.cesaral.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This make me wonder if Becky Blaney has approved this release.

There is video of here on YouTube, and video of her and Walter together.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
This make me wonder if Becky Blaney has approved this release.

There is video of here on YouTube, and video of her and Walter together.

No need to worry about it Bill because the entire Blaney family stands behind the project and Daniel Summers 100%!
www.cesaral.com