The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Advice on Vanishing Bird Cage (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
This item was quickly snapped up!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tommy Wonder bought my Jon Martin take-up pull. And modified it. I still have a Hammerton one.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Finding a suitable sized bird for the cage can be a problem.
The Nielsen canary looks great but was smaller than I wanted.
MAGIC LATEX makes one but I was looking for a more realistic version.

So I ended up making my own out of foam and covering it with silk and painting it.
It crushes down to nothing!

Click here to view attached image.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
JNeal
Long ago I used a flexible cage. Everyone thought the bird was real. Then it got old and crinkely and fell apart. I could not find a replacement so gave up on it. I just want to complement you on a fantastic job with that bird. It is truly impressive.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Al! Well I'm a BIG fan of yours and are familiar with your work courtesy of my long time friend Earl Nelson. He had nothing but raves for you!
I think I had one of those same (older) latex birds. Tannen's marketed them as PARA-CUTIES and it was a phenomenal fake. It was both hand painted and had some airbrush work as well. the one I used also crumbled over time.

Bill Hegbli ( a regular Café' contributor) has been after me to make some of these and sell them, and if I get some time after these next two projects... I may just do that!

Anyway, I know the trend today is to use a birdcage empty, but I think it diminishes the overall impact and I can't help but feel part of the rationale is because finding a realistic non decaying fake bird is so difficult. Thanks for the compliment!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Added note, if that cage looks bigger than normal, it is because that is my new Riser cage: about 1 inch taller and wider!. Proportioned like the older Martin Cages....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Just received an email on this: https://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/index.cfm?p=68304. Before I make this sizable investment, any thoughts the birdcage experts might share would be greatly appreciated. This is, by the way, a wonderful thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Just received an email on this: https://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/index.cfm?p=68304. Before I make this sizable investment, any thoughts the birdcage experts might share would be greatly appreciated. This is, by the way, a wonderful thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

These are just shipping now.
I question the riveting of the cages, this is the most important part of the cage. Builders like Jim Riser and Daniel Summers know the secret. Also Tommys version required a pulley and it doesn’t appear to be included with this package.
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks very much, Rudy. It does look like a pulley is included (lower left side of the carrying case in the photo), but like you I am concerned about the riveting. I had an Owen's cage many years ago. Never should have let it go.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Hi,
That isn’t a pulley, that’s a take up reel which is also part of the original Tommy Wonder secret.

The Owens is a beautiful cage but still isn’t as nice as the Riser or Summers.
www.cesaral.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks Rudy. Think I will give hocus-pocus a call to discuss these issues.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Thanks Rudy. Think I will give hocus-pocus a call to discuss these issues.

What did you find out?
www.cesaral.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Doctor appts, so no chance to call yet.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chris Reesman made the last cage that Tommy used and he also made a set up for Kirby Van Birch. He said the cage was modified so it collapsed very fast but it took a little to set it up.
I still have my Hammertoe reel I got directly from Ken Brooke. Always going to do the silk chimney vanish but it never happened. Maybe some day.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Richard, first of all, I have to say that the breadth of knowledge about this art, of a number of the members of the Café, is truly extraordinary. I so appreciate the history of various effects, including the vanishing birdcage, which you and Rudy have shared with the magicians on this forum. Secondly, Rudy, I left a message for hocus-pocus, but have yet to hear back. You are right, of course, that is a take up reel, not a pulley. I'm wondering whether the white item next to the reel is the pulley. I wish I lived closer to Fresno (where hocus-pocus is located) so that I could examine the cage. On second thought, no offense to Fresno intended, but I think I will stay in the Southland! Smile
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Richard, first of all, I have to say that the breadth of knowledge about this art, of a number of the members of the Café, is truly extraordinary. I so appreciate the history of various effects, including the vanishing birdcage, which you and Rudy have shared with the magicians on this forum. Secondly, Rudy, I left a message for hocus-pocus, but have yet to hear back. You are right, of course, that is a take up reel, not a pulley. I'm wondering whether the white item next to the reel is the pulley. I wish I lived closer to Fresno (where hocus-pocus is located) so that I could examine the cage. On second thought, no offense to Fresno intended, but I think I will stay in the Southland! Smile

Yes I have seen closeups of the kit and the pulley is included.

Looks like a good deal.
www.cesaral.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, Rudy. Whether or not it's a good deal, though, will (as you said) depend upon how expertly the rivets on the cage have been manufactured. Man do I miss my Owens. It may not have been as good as the Riser or Summers, but it was soooo smooth. Had to sell it (along with most of my act) many years ago to help fund my law school education....
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Just heard back from Max at hocus-pocus. He confirmed that 'kit' comes with both take up reel and pulley. Regarding quality, he said that this is the second batch which they have had for sale, and that the customers who called back about it from the first batch were very happy with the unit. I am still thinking about it....
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
If you really want the best cage made, contact Dan Summers. Here is a video of me vanishing it with 1 hand. I don’t normally perform it like this but it is so stable and collapses in a flash I made this demo to show how it was possible. By the way this is a full size cage like your old Owens, it isn’t a Baby Lindy.

www.cesaral.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Just got back into town, and watched that video. Rudy, that was a thing of beauty - absolute beauty. It was so kind of you to make that video. And a one handed vanish, no less!! I never did that with my Owens! And yes, that is a fill size cage like my Owens. At this point there is no way that I will purchase the hocus-pocus cage, and I'm very glad that I delayed doing so before I ran it by the experts on this forum. I have messaged Daniel on Facebook. Hopefully he'll respond. Thanks again for taking the time to make that video.