The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Ren Faire Table??? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
I am looking for a small table that is very portable for either Cups and Balls, or the Three Shells, but one that would look like it's from the Ren Faire period. Does anyone know of a table like this, or have one that they use at a Ren Faire setting? Or even just a hand carrable top that I could set somewheres?

Thanks to any that answer...
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
From what I've seen, most people use something like a waiters tray stand for the base and a decorated piece of plywood for the top. It's a pretty basic set up.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
The setup Pizpor describes is pretty standard and totally period-authenthic. I will try to post soon a photo of mine, perhaps with the basic specs for building (which I have posted previously) and a period picture as well.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Take a look at Bill Palmer's site for a PDF of his Ren Fair table top. Very nice basic setup.

I'm looking forward to Motley's pics, too!

-Patrick
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
This is a photo of my close up table. The basic structure is as Pizpor described. The base is a tray jack that I got for free from a local restaurant that was going out of business. (They cost about $75 dollars new from restaurant supply houses for a good one like this.) The top is constructed of two 1/8 inch thick pieces of maple or cedar (I forget) veneer plywood glued back to back to minimize warping and a frame constructed from picture moulding, all bought at Home Depot for under $50. I even got them to cut the ply to size for free. Miter cutting the frame was the hardset part. The pad on top is a $5 kitchen rug from WalMart. I stained the frame to match (sort of) the base...another $4. I will attach the period drawing when I find the file.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
And...*
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Trying again:
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I cannot seem to get photos to post. I've done it before, but it's not working. The file size and pixel count are okay; I'm not sure what the problem is. Sorry.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
This is the rig I built about 8-9 years ago. For what I put it through, it's been holding up remarkably well.

The wood for the stand was leftovers from an old futon chair frame that I was hanging on to, but ultimately decided that I was never going to buy another futon cushion. The top is 3/4" plywood covered with an interesting fabric I found at a fabric store. The straps are just tool belt straps that I found at Home Depot. With stain and other odds and ends, I might have $35 and about 4 hours of woodworking time into the whole thing.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Pipzor, that's bloody brilliant. Could we get a look at the underside of the table? I'm interested in how you secure the top to the upper leg bracing.

I admire the use of the strapping to secure the top when packed, as well your use of angle iron to secure the bottom for travel... I'm guessing your bag opens up via a spring closure (like a squeeze top coin purse) to form a full servant for lapping? Also nice, tough corner reinforcement there...

Brava!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Thanks Ekuth. That's very kind of you. This thing has been a work horse and seen some hard miles. There's no real mystery on keeping the top on the stand. It just lays there. There is a banner that I hang from the dowel you can see on the underside of the tabletop. Between that and the sack, it doesn't move around much.

As far as the servant goes, I've never done very much ditching during my act, especially when on stage. I use the bag more when I'm doing my Pub Show at the Renaissance fairies, but when they move me onto a stage the angles typically don't work for much table top work (see photo). I adapted some moves and use the Cellini pouch I bought from The Ambitious Card for sort of a lapping-while-standing kind of thing (if that's a real term)

One note on the base. The tool belt buckles make the height of the table somewhat adjustable. If you need a little more height, just pull the legs a little closer together with the belts.

meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Very cool table!!

Pizpor - how did you Photoshop in the crowd?? Smile Smile Smile
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
That is very clever! (takes notes)
-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Hey Greg,
LOL!
I think at least you were there!
Actually, it's amazing how many people will show up when you start yelling 'free beer!'

Thanks Tom.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I've tried several times now to post photos of my table and failed. Sorry. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? I keep choosing the option to attach a file but it does not work. I've done this before, but nothing seems to work now.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Like this:
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I did it by putting the pics in Flickr (I think Photobucket works too) and then you copy and paste the sharing code for the pics off those websites. I don't think you can just upload files from your computer.

I hope this helps. Somebody else might know how too.
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of medievalmagician
This is an old thread and any previous photos are no longer linked. I would be interested in seeing the photo's if it was possible.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I'll try reposting them when I get back to my computer. I think I still have them.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I think this link will work.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/40172998@N02/qV5bF5