The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: How unique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
What constitutes a trick that is worthy of marketing. How much new ideas should it involve and where can you find information on whether the method has been published
Alex L. Molina
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Alex L. Molina
Hello Torquay22 Smile

Happy Holidays...

IMHO, I believe a market-worthy Effect (at least for me one that I would support as an experienced Magician) should constitute a threefold criteria:

1 - a New/Innovative method (as opposed to a "new" WAY of utilizing a well-known method, thinly veiled by less-than-honest advertising hype Smile
2 - a truly Fresh/Creative "never-before-thought-of" EFFECT
3 - a Brilliant presentation "PREMISE" offering high entertainment-value & various performance possibilities

As far as finding whether the method has been previously published, the only way is in-depth research - the Magic Café Forums here are of course one of if not the best resources for research.

Your question intrigues me as to what Effect(s) you may be planning on marketing, as your question shows you're authentic commitment/dedication to not just market "mediocre" tricks just to make a quick buck but to indeed produce quality Magic - which seems a tad rare these days (LOL)
"YOU Are The MAGIC"

Peace, Love, & Success
alex

www.FB.com/ASAOPEpresentsTUCHT
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Thanks alex
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
So how different does the trick have to be for example would any of these be marketable
1. Same effect to one that is on the market but changing the production of an object and the presentation
2. Combining known ideas to make a new effect
3. A trick which has been developed independently red and icontact come to mind
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
One that can't be easily copied.
Dennis Michael
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
76 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
1 - I think if you're just changing the object produced, but are using the same method as another currently marketed effect, that may be a bit too close for comfort.
2 - Combining new ideas to create a different effect sounds like it belongs more in a magic book.
3 - If you've really developed it independently, then it shouldn't be a huge issue - but bringing a product to market is a time consuming process - there's a point of no return even if you become aware of someone developing the same idea around the same time.

You could speak with a local magic dealer at your local magic shop - they'd know what's on the market, and can tell you if your idea & method might be considered too close to an existing effect.
Open up your mind
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Open up your mind
Hi, I agree to some extent but really old methods is what our craft is all about. 99% of mentalism products are about combining old principles in a new way to create a new effect, the same goes for magic combining old sleights of hand.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, Open up your mind wrote:
Hi, I agree to some extent but really old methods is what our craft is all about. 99% of mentalism products are about combining old principles in a new way to create a new effect, the same goes for magic combining old sleights of hand.

I agree with you sentiment/view in general but think your % is way high. You seem to consider that all creations are 'derivative' and based on previous methods as enhancements or modifications.
But, there are 'non-derivative' creations based on thinking of a desired end result and inventing a a solution. It doesn't matter if later it is found that another person published something similar,
for the individual it was an original creation.

In the past decade I have published eBooks containing at least 20 new sleights (not published elsewhere) I offered these because they are different - not any 'combination' of old sleights.
In many case they were contrived to overcome some perceived limitation or flaw in the popular sleight, so you could say they were inspired by older sleights.

Others are completely new approaches to accomplishing something considered impossible.

I am sure there are other performers out there who do the same thing.

The same with Mentalism. I only offer effects that are different or use new principle. Old, yes as I have done some for 60 years and never seen/read of anything that is the same.
But not based on "old Mentalism effects" either. Certainly, in a presentation I combine new effects with 'traditional' ones for entertainment.

My point is that if you only look to build "with" the ideas of others you limit both creativity and the end result. Creativity is its own reward.
Never confuse "first published" with "created by" or "popular method" to mean 'best method."

enjoy your journey into creativity
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com