The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Ups & Down Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fish11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of fish11
If your looking for a trick with a lot of routine possibilities the Ups & Down Box is it. I just got this from Hocus Pocus yesterday and it's a winner. The size of the box makes it easy to handle and the gimmick works really smooth plus I like that you can turn box the upside down and side to side. This is going in the show Immediatley as my new opening warm up routine. I highly recommend this.

Kirk
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Looks very intriguing Kirk.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Joe's props are top notch. Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcUiS63dOyY&feature=youtu.be
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Kirk, I like your idea of using it as a warm-up routine.
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
I grabbed this at MagicLive and love it!!!!
Great product
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
First time I've seen this. The video demo looks great! Cool trick!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
With the right routine, this could be such fun and laughtr for children at any age even the young ones.
Mine is on the way.
Tricky Ricky
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I though it was just ok myself. I did ot care for the patter used at all. I have to think of the routine with patter more fitting to my show Perhaps once I am able to do that, this effect will have more appeal for me.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
It looks almost identical to mine, although mine's a fair bit larger. I like the way this box can be rotated in multiple directions, very nice!

I agree that the patter in the above demo was pretty dire - it almost never works, to tell the audience what they are seeing.

My presentation is just very, very silly. I tell of how the box manages to keep the Captain's rum from spilling, when the seas are rough. I've also claimed it's high-tech packaging, so it's always the "right side up".....or is it the "wrong side up?"

There's no real set routine, I just spin the box around, and repeatedly remove and replace the cup of liquid. Young kids, especially, find it hilarious.

It's a good routine to tie up with Topsy Turvy Bottles, or use SP for a big surprise finale.

Here's my unit:

TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
[quote]On 2013-09-18 03:38, Potty the Pirate wrote:
It looks almost identical to mine, although mine's a fair bit larger. I like the way this box can be rotated in multiple directions, very nice!

I agree that the patter in the above demo was pretty dire - it almost never works, to tell the audience what they are seeing.

My presentation is just very, very silly. I tell of how the box manages to keep the Captain's rum from spilling, when the seas are rough. I've also claimed it's high-tech packaging, so it's always the "right side up".....or is it the "wrong side up?"

There's no real set routine, I just spin the box around, and repeatedly remove and replace the cup of liquid. Young kids, especially, find it hilarious.

It's a good routine to tie up with Topsy Turvy Bottles, or use SP for a big surprise finale.

Here's my unit:
You've got the right idea Potty.
I'd love to see you perform.I can see you driving the kid around the bend and up a wall with fun and laughter with it.
Tricky Ricky
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I only just noticed this is made by Fairchild Magic. That certainly puts it right out there in the running, as they make fabulous props.

I certainly think that, with the multiple planes of rotation, and for the price, this is a gem!

It's a perfect opener. Just be really silly with it. Imagine Jim Carey with this thing. What would he do? Lots of big, silly, clowning movements.

I might just have to get one....
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

So many little stories could be built around this: perhaps you were on a bus, and being jostled by other passengers....or .....perhaps Jack and Jill fell down the hill, but never spilt their water...etc.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Potty - thanks for jumping in with real world uses for this box. You are a very skilled and experienced story teller and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Looks like a winner!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Got mine today. Props beautifully made and the right size for me. I bought a extra glass just in case.
Charlie, you've got the right idea with the Jack and Jill, now you're thinking out the box, and that's how you come up with great routines for tricks.
Kids in Canada don't know much Nusery Rymes. They do know Jack and Jill and Hickory Dickery Doc, but not much else.
This box sure has lots of potential.
Tricky Ricky
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I made one of these a while back so that I can start the trick with 2 cans of pop plus the glass in the box. I then remove them and perform my routine. I finish with putting the glass and cans back into the box. This helps in futher making it a mystery. Not sure if the owners of other Ups and Down boxes have the room within to do the same. Give it a try.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I ordered the ups and down box today. I asked if there is room for 2 glasses inside and I was told it will only hold 1 glass.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Makes a mess on the carpet if the gimmick fails...could cost You a fortune.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1549 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:02, WayneNZ wrote:
Makes a mess on the carpet if the gimmick fails...could cost You a fortune.

I would never do this in someones home for that reason.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Mine works prfectly. To prevent accidents, turn the box slowly and use a small tray in case there is a small amount of liquid get spilt.
I've used it about 4 times in the show and never had a drop spilled.
I basically don't like using liquid in my performance, but this box drives the children nuts.
I made a few adjustments to the unit to make it work smoother. Anyone interested P/M me and I will pass it on.
You have to prove that you do have one by explaning the works.
Tricky Ricky