The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bill Abbott Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott Magic
I've been performing at cocktail events for over two decades, and I just added the BIG secret of Jamie's this past weekend at two of my gigs and man life was SO much easier. I was able to break the ice quickly and get to the magic immediately. People were on board and excited to experience some magic and a lot of the typical social barriers evaporated thanks to Jamie's clever idea(s).

Awesome.

Bill Abbott
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Charlie C., I think Bill Abbott might allude to the notion that you're crazy.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 00:48, Matthew Rider wrote:
I'm afraid I'm incapable of writing in my books - I like to keep my library pristine. I do take notes in notebooks though, on the side!

Same here, I used to write my name in magic books from the 70's and today when I see the value I wish I never had. Smile But most that I have now are not written in.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Seems that some people apart from me might want pdfs ... hint, hint ... Smile
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
It's easy enough to go into Word or a similar program and create your own templates. You can then customize the look and content as well, unless you want everything done for you.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Yes, everything done for me please Smile I play a lot of RPGs as another one of my hobbies, and I guess I'm used to getting fillable pdfs with books. Not here to cause trouble, just thought it would be a very easy extra for Jamie to put on his website.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Chapter 23, What does my contract look like?

This is a very good chapter. There is an important lesson in there that my wife and I learned just last week. If we had the book and followed this chapter we wouldn't be in the situation we are in right now.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks, everyone!!

There's also a thread now for "Book of the Year" if anyone is interested! (please see the first post for voting rules):

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

I hope everyone had a wonderful holidays, too, and got to put some of The Approach ideas into practice!

Happy New Year!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Ok here is my view on "the approach" the book is size 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 smaller than I expected for something described as a work book . Of those pages there are 2 toyaly blank pages ,32 with approx half or more blank,31 with 25 to 33% blank and 3 pages with 10 words or less on the page.
Then the forms for you to fill which I feel are space fillers .
14 full pages, 24 with 25 to 50 % forms. To add to this all of the book is DOUBLE SPACED!
I paid £55 for this book based on the recomends here and was disappointed not only with the size and space waste in the book . But for me there was very little in the book that has not been said elswhere .
I have been a magician for over 40 ,years so I may have read more than many . But for me this book was a let down after all the big build up from this thread phil
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Heya Phil! Thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time to write them! I always appreciate how valuable all of our time is and anytime someone puts the effort to offer insight, it should be appreciated.

My best,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
M Petersen
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of M Petersen
And that is why Jamie is a class act and one of my favorite people in magic. I've only met him a handful of times, but he is always polite and smiling.

I still really liked the book myself and put it on the H & R Magic Books Top 10 for 2013. It was the first book on making the transition from hobbyist to part time pro, that I have read, where I could picture myself actually doing it. That, to me, was thanks to the workbook approach Jamie took. There is a lot of blank space in this book, but to me the price was justified by the information given. Like I said in our email newsletter, if you have an interest in making money with magic, the book is worth it and will pay for itself. If you would like to stay a hobbyist, WITH WHICH THERE IS NOTHING WRONG, than I would try and talk you out of the book.

Although, if you read the book and only applied Jamie's treatment of other people and his outlook on life, which you can tell from the book is extremely optimistic, you would be a better and happier person for it regardless of your magical financial goals.

Marshall
H & R Magic Books
http://www.magicbookshop.com
marshall@magicbookshop.com
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I have to say that as an author, it's much MUCH more difficult to be succinct than it is to be wordy. Jamie has done a wonderful job packing a TON of advice into The Approach. The writing is friendly, motivational, and inspiring. Using some of the ideas in the book AT LEAST will lead to a few more shows a year, and here in Vancouver, that's a fair bit of extra money in my pocket. In fact, there's a few things in The Approach that I've certainly THOUGHT to do over the past few years; but after reading it, I've finally started to DO them.

This is a wonderful book, and was worth every penny (and more).

Alym Amlani
BuckMeUp - The Web's First Merit-Priced Marketplace
http://www.buckmeup.com
Logic Defied
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Is this out in ebook format yet?
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
No ebook yet. It definitely worth getting the hard copy! Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Agreed, the hard copy is beyond worth it. I do believe Jamie stated earlier: at this moment he wasn't interested in selling it as an eBook.

He'll probably chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

However, if you REALLY want to get more gigs, learn how to market yourself properly and pick up tips that will help you look like a pro in no time... Get the book.

The book will pay for itself in no-time if you actually apply the work necessary.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Thanks but I think I'll wait for this to come out in ebook format for three reasons.

1. My shelves are full.

2. I like to read on the move on my tablet device.

3. It will be cheaper.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Hiya Raj!

Thanks for the interest in The Approach- that's awesome of you! I'm afraid I don't think it will never be out in ebook format, though. When I was growing up- books were a physical experience. You held them, you took them places, you knew what they felt like. And I love that too much. Ebooks are a bit harder to protect, too. Also, since it's a workbook- I really want people to write in it and be able to come back to it years from now and be able to pull it off the shelf and see how far they've come. That's my hope, anyways. I hope all that makes sense!

Your pal,

jamie
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I love The Approach! Too often, authors wait too long before they write a book on how to be successful in the business, forgetting many of the details that helped them get started. I've purchased many books, where there is a huge knowledge gap between myself and the author's published advice. In The Approach, there is no gap. This is stuff that I can act on today! If you perform at all, get this book if you don't already have it.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
So far enjoying the book. If I had a criticism it would be that the book feels very cheaply made and doesn't make it enjoyable to flick through in that sense. Considering it cost me $75 plus shipping, I would have expected better quality in that sense.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Received the book today . Pretty satisfied . Smile
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein