The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
There is so much information in here it's hard to pick a FAVORITE, but I greatly benefitted from developing your sets parts 1 and 2 (chapters 3 and 21). I'm a frantic person and the information on how many tricks and how to set them up to have a pattern as you flow from table to table is a great help.

Thanks Jamie for the great book!
Matthew Rider
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Matthew Rider
I just ordered the book today, and it's not here yet so it may be hard to pick a favourite chapter, haha.... But I'm going to go with the Big Secret, as that seems to be a popular choice and I'm itching to know what it is!
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
This is definitely one of those books that you can leave on your night stand, read a chapter before bed, and legitimately learn something new each time you pick the book up. Even the chapters regarding topics you're already familiar with seem to have a voice that incites a refreshing understanding/perspective. I've read this book cover to cover once before, but I'm seem to gain more information from it just by opening up to random pages and seeing what the book spontaneously offers. It's a really great, insightful read.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4546 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-12-10 09:39, Raymond Singson wrote:
This is definitely one of those books that you can leave on your night stand, read a chapter before bed, and legitimately learn something new each time you pick the book up. Even the chapters regarding topics you're already familiar with seem to have a voice that incites a refreshing understanding/perspective. I've read this book cover to cover once before, but I'm seem to gain more information from it just by opening up to random pages and seeing what the book spontaneously offers. It's a really great, insightful read.

RS.
Very true, I keep it next to my laptop and pick it up whenever I take a small break from things.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1364 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Hi Jamie,

Love the novel-size format of the book, very handy to take around and easily read.
Favourite chapter, hard to choose, but I'm going with 32: The Big Secret.

Brian
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Everyone's favourite seems to be 32: The Big Secret. I think this secret is great too and I can definitely see myself using it!

However, 56: Burning Through Material was my favourite. I have loads of potential items that I hadn't really considered in this context before. This is a great tip for many different occasions, not just when you have run out of material.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
We're getting close- only a couple more days to go!!

Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake
willtupper: Chapter 95~ Busking
robvh: Chapter 5~ Magic Fridays
moshiman: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
TomasSimkus: Chapter 7~ Website
Bobby Puga: Chapter 46~ Saying Goodbye To A Group
Tommytallica: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Torquay22: Chapter 4~ How to Practice
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 42~ The First Words I Say
Gleemax17: Chapter 23~ What Does my Contract Look Like
Ken Dumm: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Raymond Singson: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
Anthony Black: Chapter 82~ Hecklers
Tim Hannig: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Alex DLF: Chapter 6~ Business Cards
paperinick: Chapter 39~ My First Effect
CdnAndrew: Chapter 8~ How Do You Look?
Grant Mitchell: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
EVILDAN: Chapter 26~ How to get the gigs
shawn popp: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Hydrostevo: Chapter 40~ What Rubber Bands to Use
Blindside785: Chapter 71~ The Second Big Secret
Xaerius: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
mousebites2: Chapter 4~ How to Practice
Hybrid Hunter: Chapter 21~ Developing Your Sets/Part 2
MichaelMann: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Montana76: Chapter 5~ Magic Friday
topherhester: Chapter 3~ Developing Your Sets
Matthew Rider: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Raymond Singson: The entire thing, lol? (I'm including this as an entry because you've read it twice, lol)
bekralik: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
(a)ndy: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret

Who's next?

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

Quote:
On 2013-12-08 04:12, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I don't yet own the book (believe me I want it), so I'm not entering the competition. However, just a quick question/request: there's a number of places given over to filling in (like Magic Friday feedback) - do you have printable PDFs of these fill-able pages, so we can write them without having to write in the book?

To be honest- I really, really, want everyone to write in their books. A huge part of performing is documenting and recording everything you've done- so I took some pains (a lot, lol) to make The Approach easy to write in. I think it would be awesome for everyone, in ten year's time, to pull it off the shelf- flip through it- and see how far they've come. And, if it absolutely kills you to do so- a cool notebook is way cooler than printed off forms.

Y'all rock!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I love the workbook feel to it. I immediately began writing in it and putting ideas on the margins. This will be my guide!
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
For me it's Chapter 32.
Matthew Rider
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Matthew Rider
I'm afraid I'm incapable of writing in my books - I like to keep my library pristine. I do take notes in notebooks though, on the side!
matthewwhitt2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of matthewwhitt2
Jamie, you have me listed on there twice for chapter 32 and 42. I don't want it to be unfair when the winner is chosen as my username is up there 2 times. I went with chapter 42 as my choice so you can remove the 32 from the list of official entries.
Jinx13
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
119 Posts

Profile of Jinx13
This book is packed full of great advice, but I would have to say my favorite chapter would have to be #58 Remembering Names. This has always been a challenge for me, but there is some great advice in there.

Thank you for writing this book Jamie

David
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Chapter 12 is pretty key on many different levels.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Alright! It's time to draw the winner! Let's see..with the latest editions we have 39 entries (thanks, matthewwhitt2, for being so honest as well)!

Okay- so the random number generator says...

Number 24!!! Taking out matthewwhitt2 once- because he was listed twice- leaves us with...

EVILDAN

Congrats!! I'll send you a PM! You just won $100 and a choice of any one of our products! Thanks to everyone for entering! And let's not stop the thread here- let's keep it going. I love the book club idea where we talk about certain chapters every now and then.

Y'all rock!

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Grant Mitchell
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
22 Posts

Profile of Grant Mitchell
Off by 1! matthewwhitt2 is actually 2 completely different people, so needs his double listing Smile

Congrats EVILDAN, and thanks to Jamie for running the competition.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Congrats to Evildan!

Jamie,
Thanks for having the contest! It was fun to see what everyone else has taken away from The Approach. It seems people have learned a lot!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Hey, I won. Thank You Jamie and everyone else.
I didn't even prepare an acceptance speech. I'd like to thank my parents, the owner of Premier 75 Magic Studio where I hung out as a teen and got bit by the magic bug, all the people that have hired me over the years, the producers of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno for having my wife and I perform, for the members of the Magic Castle who showed us a great evening the one time we were there, and of course Jamie D. Grant for this great book.

By the way, I wrote in pencil in mine. Mechanical pencil at that. Allows me to write small and make changes as they come.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
matthewwhitt2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of matthewwhitt2
Congrats on the win EVILDAN! I as well use a good 'ol .5 mechanical pencil to write in my book. There is so much good stuff in the Approach!
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Interesting to see so many people pick #32 as their favorite. I'll try to keep this vague since I don't want to reveal it on the forums, but it just seems like it would be out of place for the venues I typically work.

I know I should try it. Everything else in the book has been SOLID gold. But I'm still hesitant. Someone tell me I'm crazy! (PMs are fine too!)
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
OK, with all due respect, you're crazy.