The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Chapter 25: Conquering Nerves was a really practical article that a lot of magicians-- professionals and amateurs alike-- can relate to a learn from. It resonated with me a lot. But like others have already said-- my absolute favorite article, Chapter 32: The Big Secret, was a really amazing, worthwhile gem.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Well Jamie...

I started to read your book last night in bed. 6am and I was still reading it, so I thought I may as well stay up now, so I have not slept today...and it's all your fault...

Thank You! Smile

I'll be completely honest (sorry) here, Jamie recommends that you 'make the book your own', write in it, make notes etc.

I decided not to, as I thought...

"Well, if it's not for me I can sell it on, or give it away as a gift."

Well, I'll be hanging on to this! I'll be having another read through in a couple of days, I'll make it my own as I have no intention of letting this one go.

This is a goldmine of useful information, it would be hard for me to chose a favorite chapter. I LOVED the Secret and will be using it 100%, fantastic idea Sir.

I really enjoyed chapter 82: Hecklers Article and whole wholeheartedly agree with your views on this subject.

There are many things released to the Magic community (daily) so sometimes it's a shame as the good stuff will often get missed for the latest new toy, this is the good stuff.

If you are just getting into Magic, read, learn, apply these (hard won) lessons and you will be on the road to success within no time.

If you have been around for years, read, learn, apply and you will be on the road to (even more!) success within no time.

One of my favorite purchases in a long time and my favorite books of this year, no doubt.

Buy it and if you don't learn anything from it...read it again.

Anyway, enough from me...I need sleep...

- AnthonyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Chapter 32 - the Big Secret

love it
love it
love it!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake
willtupper: Chapter 95~ Busking
robvh: Chapter 5~ Magic Fridays
moshiman: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
TomasSimkus: Chapter 7~ Website
Bobby Puga: Chapter 46~ Saying Goodbye To A Group
Tommytallica: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Torquay22: Chapter 4~ How to Practice
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 42~ The First Words I Say
Gleemax17: Chapter 23~ What Does my Contract Look Like
Ken Dumm: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Raymond Singson: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
Anthony Black: Chapter 82~ Hecklers
Tim Hannig: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret

Who's next?

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

Thanks, gang! I LOVE seeing what everyone takes away from the book. And thanks for the review, Anthony! That is so kind! Sorry about the lack of sleep, lol.

Gleemax17~ Yeah, contracts are very hard to come by. I'm not sure why? But they are a MUST. I would love to know if others do anything different with theirs.

And it looks like The Big Secret is a popular one. I was going to sell this as a "stand alone" item years ago- I'm so happy I could include a book with it, lol. And it really changed my performing life. I wonder if one day we'll see everyone doing it? That would be cool!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2007 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Mine would be the one with business cards do the chapter 6 Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Chapter 39: my first effect
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
This is hard. It's great because it got me to flip through the book again trying to decide my favourite chapter.

Chapter 46 - Saying goodbye to your Group
I think this one is simple but important.

Chapter 42 - The first words I say
I love that your approach is professional. It's not about being cheesy for a laugh. It's about being genuine. I love it.

But I believe the chapter that had the most profound impact to my everyday life was:
Chapter 8 - How Do You Look?
It's important to always look presentable and I found that I didn't always follow that advise. It was easy to take a day off shaving, or putting on a tee shirt instead of a nice button-up when going out on some errands.

Thanks Jamie for such a fantastic resource.
Grant Mitchell
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
22 Posts

Profile of Grant Mitchell
Thanks for writing this book Jamie. Reading this couldn't have been timed better.

Chapter 32 - The Big Secret
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Chapter 26 - How to get the gigs.
I admit, it's the second chapter I turned to, the first being The Big Secret.

Great info. I started to elaborate, but stopped. Go buy the book.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
The Approach is fantastic. I am a full time performer and found a ton of useful info.
Jamie's approach to pricing was very good, not to mention is advice on contracts and phone scripts.
For me though, the Big Secret was worth the price of the book. I implemented this immediately.

Well done Jamie!!

shawn
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
Chapter 40 - What rubber bands to use. Probably one of the shortest chapters in the history of literature Smile
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks, everyone! This is awesome reading what everyone takes away from it!

Quote:
On 2013-12-06 09:39, Hydrostevo wrote:
Chapter 40 - What rubber bands to use. Probably one of the shortest chapters in the history of literature Smile

Lol, I know, right? Still, some people might not have know that! I just bought a huge box of them last week.

Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake
willtupper: Chapter 95~ Busking
robvh: Chapter 5~ Magic Fridays
moshiman: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
TomasSimkus: Chapter 7~ Website
Bobby Puga: Chapter 46~ Saying Goodbye To A Group
Tommytallica: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Torquay22: Chapter 4~ How to Practice
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 42~ The First Words I Say
Gleemax17: Chapter 23~ What Does my Contract Look Like
Ken Dumm: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Raymond Singson: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
Anthony Black: Chapter 82~ Hecklers
Tim Hannig: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Alex DLF: Chapter 6~ Business Cards
paperinick: Chapter 39~ My First Effect
CdnAndrew: Chapter 8~ How Do You Look?
Grant Mitchell: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
EVILDAN: Chapter 26~ How to get the gigs
shawn popp: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Hydrostevo: Chapter 40~ What Rubber Bands to Use

Who's next?

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

Just like a book club (I think? I've never actually been in one, lol) I'm going to try and talk about a chapter every time I respond here.

So ALEX DLF- Yah, business cards are huge!! I have a different card now- that you probably have seen- but it's for a different purpose (selling bottles and the idea of my 'celebrity' brand) but make no mistake, when it comes to booking gigs: Name, phone number, E-MAIL as big as will fit. I still remember being at a receptionist's desk one time and she was looking for a supplier of something (paper?); and she was throwing out every card she couldn't read at arms length!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4546 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Chapter 71, this has saved me in a pinch.
Xaerius
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Xaerius
I'll have to go for Chapter 32, The Big Secret! Who would have realized something so simple could be so effective!

I loved every other parts of the book though. I'm glad I got this book despite being the owner of several magic business books already!

Nigel
mousebites2
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of mousebites2
Chapter 4 - How to Practice. I love the idea of magic Fridays. I am probably going to go with magic Mondays... so I have all weekend to practice. Thanks for sharing.
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
For me, Chapter 21 Developing Your Sets ~ Part 2 has had the most impact and been very helpful to me.
When I see a new trick or learn a new effect or even go back and look at what I've done in the past I now think about how it can fit into a set.
Whether it's an opener, middle or close, small, medium or high effect.
I keep coming to this book over and over and reminding myself of something I've forgotten or just need clarification on.

With rubberbands do you have an online source of where you buy them? In Australia we don't have the best selection of rubberbands.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I don't yet own the book (believe me I want it), so I'm not entering the competition. However, just a quick question/request: there's a number of places given over to filling in (like Magic Friday feedback) - do you have printable PDFs of these fill-able pages, so we can write them without having to write in the book?
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
No question about it:

Chapter 32 - The Big Secret

MM
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi Jamie and thank you for superfast shipping and signing my copy. I actually read the book in one sitting. I absolutely LOVE it!
My favorite chapter was Chapter 5, magic mondays.

The runner up is the chapter about website and business cards.

Thank you so much Jamie, and keep on being awesome:)
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
You guys are making me sooooo jealous right now ... Smile I'm saving up my pennies!