The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: The Wizard Product Review 155: Tiny Plunger, Wonder Block, Escape, Fortune Teller's Prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I never post here. But thoughtbthisntime I would add my thoughts to the Tiny Plunger vs Escape question.

First of all it's not an either or situation. Both could work in a set so I don't see comparing them to be of any use.
But that wasn't my real point.

My real point was that in any set there needs to be light and shade, mountains and valleys.
If we just hit our audience over the head with one miracle after another, no matter how good, it risks becoming an overload.

What Tiny Plunger does is give a solid block of entertainment in which the audience can catch their breath and get involved.
There is no point in performing our effects AT people. It must be to them, for them, with them.

I think Dave has missed the point of this effect.

Steve
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Tiny Plunger:
Isn't this (yet again) just a rip-off of another trick/gimmick that was around 25 years ago - but instead of a plunger, it used a security safe's combination lock/wheel instead? Can't for the life of me remember what it was called BUT it did exactly the same thing. To be honest, irrespective of the routine, the gimmick just looks so bleeding naff. It's like times are hard, so I've sold my good props on ebaY and have now resorted to raiding my Daughter's toy doll's house. Wouldn't use it simply because there's absolutely nothing that it can do that cannot be achieved with pure sleight of hand. And I can just imagine sticking it on some bald geezers head. I think you'd be removing a full-size plunger yourself.......albeit possibly not from the same place.

Wonder Block:
For some it's probably no more than a puzzle. For members of 'Real Secrets', this must be considered a stage-worthy illusion show! Can't see it being used commercially but for a wind up down the pub, or something to show friends when they come around for a beer, it has it's place.

Escape:
Why do people call it 'The Erdnase Change' when, in actual fact, it's The Houdini Change? Sorry, I digress. Didn't like this one bit. Right, so you have a piece of ribbon to be threaded through a hole in the pack. Wow, that's going to be fun in dimly-lit environments, or when people are half-pis*ed isn't it. Magician's eye-candy isn't it really? Maybe it's not fair of me to judge as I don't like card tricks anyway. However, if I do carry around a gaffed deck, then I think I get a lot more mileage out of a Devano Deck. Sorry, but escaping cards off rods, ribbons, string, etc. have been around since the early part of the LAST Century. Jean Hugard outlined many methods over the years. By the way, Jean Hugard was a bloke who used to write something called books.

Fortune Teller's Prediction:
Have you found them Bumble Bees yet Craig? Same issue as raised last week. Who is this aimed at exactly? If the intended audience is adults, then why has it been designed to appeal to 10 year-olds? And, if it's designed for 10 year-olds, is this really the best you could do for them? Also, the size. I assume it's been designed for stage use. In which case, please ensure that anyone past the front row has binoculars so that they can read the Italian writing. Complete and utter garbage that is an insult to magic, and an even bigger insult to any audience subjected to watching it.

Best thing this week was Dave's fortune-telling gag. Finally, I've seen something that I can't wait to try out! Smile

Thanks for the ongoing efforts lads.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 15:39, Merc Man wrote:
.... it used a security safe's combination lock/wheel instead? Can't for the life of me remember what it was called BUT it did exactly the same thing.

Merc Man, it was the Safecracker deck.

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Well done that man.

I bloody well knew that I'd seen this trick before - Keith Bennett used to flog them (albeit it was a different name).

So what's 'Tiny Plunger' then..........yet another rip-off to hit the magic community? Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
WPS is never complete without reading your response, mate. Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 13:03, paperinick wrote:
Craig reading Italian... now that is funny!! Smile

Yeah, that was.... interesting.... Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 15:39, Merc Man wrote:
Tiny Plunger:
It's like times are hard, so I've sold my good props on ebaY and have now resorted to raiding my Daughter's toy doll's house.

LOL! Pants

Quote:
Wonder Block:
For members of 'Real Secrets', this must be considered a stage-worthy illusion show!

LOL! Pants

Quote:
Escape:
Sorry, but escaping cards off rods, ribbons, string, etc. have been around since the early part of the LAST Century. Jean Hugard outlined many methods over the years. By the way, Jean Hugard was a bloke who used to write something called books.

LOL (well, this one wasn't quite as funny as the others, but still....) Pants (well, to be truthful, I thought it looked nice on the video)

Quote:
Fortune Teller's Prediction:
Complete and utter garbage that is an insult to magic, and an even bigger insult to any audience subjected to watching it.

LOL! Pants
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
I agree with Craig. Even though Tiny Plunger isn't the most amazing piece of magic, it is really entertaining. There is more to magic than just freaking people out.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
My only problem with Tiny Plunger: How the hell do you justify a prop like that and still maintain your dignity?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 01:37, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
My only problem with Tiny Plunger: How the hell do you justify a prop like that and still maintain your dignity?

Certainly not with a pack of cards with a hole drilled through it, and a piece of naff looking cheap ribbon used for tying up birthday presents! Smile
Barry Allen

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
For those going on tirades about tiny plunger, have you seen Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants? Is a toy turtle with a human head "dignified"? Maybe not but Ricky Jay certainly maintains his dignity and kills with it. Tiny plunger is a tongue in cheek routine that is also a fooler.

I have no idea how Escape works but I'm not going to carry around a special deck and keep track of a gimmick to do an ambitious card finale. I'll get the same shouts of "No Way" with the card in mouth or bent card finale. That doesn't mean it's an awful trick.

I have huge collection of puzzles and brainteasers and I have something very similar to the Magic Block but it looks like an improvement. Mine couldn't be opened in front of the spectators or even behind your back without giving away the secret.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
LeoC-Coins
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of LeoC-Coins
Craig you are right! Tiny plunger is an awesome prop and can create brilliant moments from laughter to amazement if you present it correctly. Im sorry Dave but in my opinion you have marked it harshly. Its AWESOME!
I can easily see how spectators will love the prop and how it has had its own personality given. I only issue in my mind is the table space.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Dave's mark wasn't even harsh. It was still in the 70s!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 01:37, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

Dignity, schmignity - this prop is transcendant! After using it with cards, set the deck aside and bring out a mini toilet. Use the plunger on the toilet, from which you pull a mini lemon. Cut into the lemon to reveal a spec's previously signed card.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
The last time I heard someone say, "Let me show you my tiny plunger," I realised I'd walked into the wrong bar.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Sorry the tiny plunger thing is just bizarre, really not for me......
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Juan Tamariz has entertained millions of people with the Koornwinder Kar:

http://youtu.be/oFoJA6hu0ro?t=2m9s

Bet Senior Tamariz would kill with the Tiny Plunger. Think out of the bowl!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Agreed Zombie but let's be fair, Juan Tamariz is up there with the Fred Kaps of this World - in that anything they touch(ed) is just pure, magical gold.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of magicians are not blessed with such wonderful personas (myself included). To this end, I can just imagine the average magician coming across as a bit of a geek using tosh such as this.

Just my point of view obviously. And the fact remains it appears to be a rip-off of something already out there. To this end, I wouldn't even consider buying it.
Barry Allen

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Merc, I remember the combination lock trick and I don't believe it worked in anything like the same manner and certainly is a completely different look and plot. Are you claiming it is a rip-off because the two routines involve cutting to a card? Or are you refering to some other trick?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Mike,

I remember Keith Bennett demming the lock trick in his shop in Birmingham. Now my memory is a little jaded after so many years BUT the ways he used the lock to cut to a chosen card, and/or a number of pre-determined cards, appears the same as in the demo clips for tiny plunger. To this end, it appears to be basically the same trick.

Are you saying that it isn't the same modus operandi then? If not, then what's your point?

I just get sick and tired of seeing new(?) magic hitting the market that is basically the same as things that have been around long enough that the current creator believes (hopes?) will be forgotten about. Dean Dill's bead trick springs instantly to mind. Or are you saying that isn't a rip-off either - because it uses different coloured beads?
Barry Allen