The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: The Wizard Product Review 155: Tiny Plunger, Wonder Block, Escape, Fortune Teller's Prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
Hi Guys,

Here is this weeks show:

This weeks show:

Tiny Plunger by John Armstrong

Get it by Clicking Here!

[Wonder Block by King of Magic

Get it here by Clicking Here!

Escape by Mickael Chatelain

Get it by Clicking Here!

Fortune Teller's Prediction

Get it here by Clicking Here!

---
mind monger
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, England
86 Posts

Profile of mind monger
Sorry Craig I'm with Dave on this one. Tiny plunger doesn't do it for me at all.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I came up with a backstory for the plunger, been doing it for quite a while.

Is it amazing magic? The way I tell the story, it at least has a more magical tone, and is great entertainment. If all you do is say, "I have this plunger that can pick up cards," of course that is not great magic but it is because you are a poor performer if that's all you do with this.

The fact that they delayed releasing this to come out with the gimmicked plunger, and provided a poor routine for it, is ridiculous (yes, even though I have been doing this for quite a while with a "cheap" plunger, I took the plunge Smile Smile Smile and got this).

My tiny plunger, which you can hang off your keychain / fob :

Click here to view attached image.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
"I can sum this up in six words" - I don't know how to count Smile

Okay, maybe seven words.

For those who didn't watch the review, the "six" words are: "It's good, but it's no Tiny Plunger."
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I'm on Craig's side. I've performed the Jon's Tiny Plunger routine quite a bit lately and people love it.

Escape looks like a color change...that I have to carry a bunch of extra stuff to perform.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
For Escape, I do feel that adding the string through the deck makes it look more impossible than just a color change, but not sure if laypeople would be that much more amazed by it.

Does going from, "Look, I can make a card change when there was no way I could possibly have done that" to "I can make a card change when there was no way to do that, especially with this string I tied through the deck" add THAT much? I don't think it does, but could see how people would think that it would.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
If there's going to be a bet, I'd like to compare reactions to a color change to reactions to Escape as well as to Tiny Plunger. I think that the reactions to the color change will be almost equal, if not the same as, Escape.

Tiny Plunger is more about entertaining and can be somewhat magical.

So, if there is a bet, make sure that you are judging reactions like smiles and laughs, not just "OMG HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!!"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'm with Dave. If I had to choose one I'd choose escape. I watched the Tiny Plunger promo when it was released and didn't like the look of it. After watching today's review my mind hasn't been changed at all.

That said, I can't see myself doing Escape either to be honest. I felt it comes across too much like a puzzle. In fact on a show where there was a puzzle, Escape appeared more puzzle-like than the actual puzzle, which appeared quite magical... At least Dave's presentation of it made it so. A signed coin vanishes and appears inside an impossibly locked box.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I'm with Roslyn (and also agree with Dave)...No offense to Tiny Plunger fans, but I hate Tiny Plunger; I seem to be in the minority, though, everybody seems to love it...just doesn't do it for me...
Thought Escape was okay, but really expected the main effect to be chosen card completely escapes ribbon, which they did mention you could do...I would also probably never perform escape, as it is too similar to locked deck, which I already have
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I love the look of the tiny plunger, can't wait to get my hands on it ! I bought Escape, I have to agree that the gimmick is really clever but the all thing is overpriced and not my kind of magic Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
121 Posts

Profile of illusion123
Don't like Tiny Plunger and I wouldn't even try and stick this on someone's forehead in a bar situation. Just not the right thing to do and you might get a slap back. Why do you need to use a plunger to find a card at any number. The Plunger does not make any sense to me at all. I also think Craig needs to calm down a little or he will be having a seizure. We are talking magic tricks here not life or death situations.

Chris Wild
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I agree with Dave. The tiny plunger is entertaining because the guys doing it are stars. They could make origami entertaining. I can't. Good trick or just good magicians? I vote the latter.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
There is a mention of 'tiny plunger' on the new Alakazam vlog........... and a quick performance by Peter.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I have a lot of respect for Craig and his style as a magician but even when I saw the trailer for tiny plunger I just didn't think I looked good I was really surprised to see Garret Thomas and Mathieu Bich on board about this project just cause I really don't think there's much of a difference between a magician or a plunger cutting to a selected card. I think to a layman it's more impressive when somehow the spectater cuts to the selected card.

I liked escape Not sure if I like the Idea of carying a deck of cards around for 1 trick but I feel there is a bit of a difference between an erdnase change and a card turning into your selection and still tied to a ribbin which hadn't appeared to change since card was lost in the deck.

I thought the block looked great but where would you perform it?
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Craig reading Italian... now that is funny!! Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I think both Craig and Dave have to test the tricks for real people and after, the people decide !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Whether Craig or Dave like or love something, the only test that counts is when it's performed for punters. Dave Penn once performed a trick in the shop, people loved it...and he still didn't care for it. I understand that. If you don't love a routine, why perform it?

On Tiny Plunger:
When David Penn said "and in the corner of the restaurant, there's a guy with a metal cup producing an orange, going "OH MY GOD"" I lost it. I could not stop laughing.

David Penn is one of the most talented, FUNNIEST blokes in all of magic. Don't be fooled by Craig Petty. He's equally as brilliant in his set ups for Dave to hit them out of the park.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Am I the only one who finds Tiny Plunger just the slightest bit childish? I agree with Dave on that one.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 14:03, mayniac wrote:
Am I the only one who finds Tiny Plunger just the slightest bit childish? I agree with Dave on that one.

Perhaps slightly more childish than a grown man carrying around playing cards with a hole punched through them and a piece of ribbon...
RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
My feeling is that if Tiny Plunger had been released by anyone other than a familiar name (and BTW excellent) magician, we would have seen a Craig rant about how silly it was. Escape is better, but a deck with a hole punched in the corner is not something I would carry, so really neither are something I'm interested in.