The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Exploring Erdnase (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Erdnase, talking about the back palm:

"As an exhibition of dexterity this is probably unsurpassed in card manipulation, but it is of little aid in the performance of tricks. However, everything may be put to some use, and the back palm once helped us out of a difficult situation--'but that is another story.' "

Many have been the times that I've longed to know that story!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Some good quotes there Barry, I've put them on my website here:

http://www.magiconthebrain.com/quotes/erdnase-says/

This page will display a random Erdnase quote each time you load it. Please share your favourite Erdnase quotes on this thread, and I'll add them to my database.

Quote:
"As an exhibition of dexterity this is probably unsurpassed in card manipulation, but it is of little aid in the performance of tricks. However, everything may be put to some use, and the back palm once helped us out of a difficult situation--'but that is another story.' "

When I first read this part of the text, I was so disappointed that Erdnase didn't share the story. I'm sure it was - wait for it - legendary!

Marty
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
There's hundreds of quotes I like, but have always particularly enjoyed the following:

In discussing the Shift: "nevertheless, upon occasion it must be employed, and the resourceful professional failing to improve the method changes the moment."

In discussing Three Card Monte: "But there is not a single card feat in the whole calendar which will give as good returns for the amount of practice required, or that will mystify as greatly, or cause as much amusement, or bear so much repetition, as this little game; and for these reasons we believe it worthy of instinted effort to master thoroughly."

"Sidling" was also a very important word for me when learning the 'To Retain Bottom Stock"!!!

Justin
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Thanks Justin, these two quotes have been added to the database.

I guess the more modern equivalent of "sidling" would be "sideways". When I first read portions of Erdnase, I was constantly looking up words in the dictionary. In fact, I still am!

Marty
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Hi Marty,

A challenging endeavor. Thank you for including us in your journey. Look forward to your posts.

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Great idea, such an effort!

I'd like to do that some day, but I guess if the old english makes it difficult for you, imagine how can it be for a spanish guy who sometimes gets lost with modern english (although I've been doing pretty good with what I have)...

Sure I'll be following your posts!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to do that some day, but I guess if the old english makes it difficult for you, imagine how can it be for a spanish guy who sometimes gets lost with modern english (although I've been doing pretty good with what I have)...

Ah yes, but then you can read all of those wonderful Spanish magic books that haven't, and may never, be published in English. I'm seriously considering learning Spanish for this reason!

Marty
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 14:04, CharliePA wrote:
imagine how can it be for a spanish guy who sometimes gets lost with modern english.........

No problem, have a go in your native tongue!
http://www.everythingerdnase.com/exhibit/?exhibits=foreign6
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
There's no need to tell I can give you a hand in spanish translations (or learning). Just ask!!
BTW, most of the best spanish magic books out there have been translated (Tamariz, Jose Carroll or Ascanio come to mind). But I guess lecture notes and little booklets are impossible to find in english.

I knew about that spanish Erndase, silverking, but I heard Editorial Fraksons translations are not very good.
In fact, I own a Spanish edition of "Close up card magic", from Harry Lorayne –can't remember who's the publisher–, and I understand better the english edition!

PD. Excuse my english, sometimes I think I'm writing nonsense. I hope I made myself clear...

George Bernard Shaw
Samson
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Samson
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 08:03, martyjacobs wrote:

Ah yes, but then you can read all of those wonderful Spanish magic books that haven't, and may never, be published in English. I'm seriously considering learning Spanish for this reason!

Marty

Ascanio in one of his books (Vol. !, I read this one in English), advocated that Spanish magicians learn enough English to read those books, because he claims that a magician's vocabulary isn't that hard to get what you need. I thought it might work in reverse and I ordered some Dani DaOrtiz stuff in spanish. I took 2 semesters in college but found I knew enough to get the gist of handling and looking up what I didn't know wasn't too tricky. I think idea is a sound one, as you'll have access to a lot of stuff others don't.
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
My english actually improved a lot just by reading (and making an effort trying to understand everything) magic books in english.

Enjoy Dani DaOrtiz stuff, it's simply awesome. What did you ordered?

George Bernard Shaw
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
So back on track...
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
With a couple of notable exceptions, the real value of Erdnase is not in the moves, which have largely been supplanted by improved techniques.

I think if you had a proper understanding of the moves in Erdnase you would not hold that opinion. Many has been the time that I have shown the actual Erdnase techniques to someone who thought like you and they were very surprised at how deceptive and invisible they are. There is much to be learned between the covers of that book.

Dan
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Sorry for the lack of Erdnase activity. I've just posted part 2:

Exploring Erdnase (Part 2)

You can also download a FREE PDF copy of The Expert at the Card Table from my site now!

Marty
wnewhouse
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of wnewhouse
Best of luck to you, Marty, on your project. Pretty ambitious and I look forward to reading about your progress. I hope you are already at least a moderately accomplished card manipulator, because too much of EATCT is, IMO, virtually useless as an instructional book for a beginner. Being a beginner I have found some of the descriptions excellent, such as for the diagonal palm shift, and others so poor as to appear to be physically impossible to do as described (such as the longitudinal palm shift, p80). He also seems to get pretty careless, or at least inconsistent, with his terminology. He uses the technical terms consistently, but can't seem to give coherent directions with words like in, out, up, down, toward, etc. No doubt his descriptions are crystal clear to someone who already knows exactly how to do the moves. Yes, the man created a ground-breaking publication when it was published 100 years ago. That is deserving of respect, but not adulation. And the material provides the foundation for a lot of much better technique available today from people who actually know how to teach a subject. Just as whale oil lamps were a big deal, too, when they came on the market, but we're all using electric lights now for good reasons. Doesn't mean I don't use an oil (not whale) lamp when the situation is appropriate (power is out), but I don't imbue the oil lamps with an unwarranted reverence. I also don't appreciate an author claiming a single move can be learned easily with only a modest amount of practice when he knows full well it will take 80-100 hours of very serious work to nail it. I see too much of that arrogant smugness in magic instruction, including EATCT, but that's a different thread entirely. And about those DVDs that are available. Books have certain advantages and certain limitations. Likewise, DVDs have certain, different, advantages and other, different, disadvantages than books. Live personal instruction also has its own set of advantages and limitations. To say one or the other is the 'best' is short-sighted IMO. When you eat dinner, do you insist on only using a plate and fork, even when soup is being served, because plates and forks are 'the best way' to serve food? Of course not. So, obviously, I'm not an Erdnase accolyte and will undoubtedly hear a firestorm of criticism for my non-standard perspective. You can just blow me off as an uninformed card novice if you want to. Be that as it may, my point is this: Dive into your chosen project, enjoy it thoroughly, be very proud of the skill you achieve, but don't be surprised when you run into severe roadblocks by restricting yourself to that one source. And don't romanticize it into sainthood. Vernon knew Erdnase better than most anyone, yet he spent a great deal of effort improving upon and generally cleaning up the material. So be willing to consult other sources, and other types of sources, when you run into the blind alleys in EATCT. I have every confidence you will succeed with your project.
Bill Newhouse
'A reasonably remarkable presenter of extraordinarily mundane miracles.'
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 04:47, wnewhouse wrote:
...You can just blow me off as an uninformed card novice if you want to...

Will do.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
Best of luck to you, Marty, on your project. Pretty ambitious and I look forward to reading about your progress. I hope you are already at least a moderately accomplished card manipulator, because too much of EATCT is, IMO, virtually useless as an instructional book for a beginner. Being a beginner I have found some of the descriptions excellent, such as for the diagonal palm shift, and others so poor as to appear to be physically impossible to do as described (such as the longitudinal palm shift, p80). He also seems to get pretty careless, or at least inconsistent, with his terminology. He uses the technical terms consistently, but can't seem to give coherent directions with words like in, out, up, down, toward, etc. No doubt his descriptions are crystal clear to someone who already knows exactly how to do the moves. Yes, the man created a ground-breaking publication when it was published 100 years ago. That is deserving of respect, but not adulation. And the material provides the foundation for a lot of much better technique available today from people who actually know how to teach a subject. Just as whale oil lamps were a big deal, too, when they came on the market, but we're all using electric lights now for good reasons. Doesn't mean I don't use an oil (not whale) lamp when the situation is appropriate (power is out), but I don't imbue the oil lamps with an unwarranted reverence. I also don't appreciate an author claiming a single move can be learned easily with only a modest amount of practice when he knows full well it will take 80-100 hours of very serious work to nail it. I see too much of that arrogant smugness in magic instruction, including EATCT, but that's a different thread entirely. And about those DVDs that are available. Books have certain advantages and certain limitations. Likewise, DVDs have certain, different, advantages and other, different, disadvantages than books. Live personal instruction also has its own set of advantages and limitations. To say one or the other is the 'best' is short-sighted IMO. When you eat dinner, do you insist on only using a plate and fork, even when soup is being served, because plates and forks are 'the best way' to serve food? Of course not. So, obviously, I'm not an Erdnase accolyte and will undoubtedly hear a firestorm of criticism for my non-standard perspective. You can just blow me off as an uninformed card novice if you want to. Be that as it may, my point is this: Dive into your chosen project, enjoy it thoroughly, be very proud of the skill you achieve, but don't be surprised when you run into severe roadblocks by restricting yourself to that one source. And don't romanticize it into sainthood. Vernon knew Erdnase better than most anyone, yet he spent a great deal of effort improving upon and generally cleaning up the material. So be willing to consult other sources, and other types of sources, when you run into the blind alleys in EATCT. I have every confidence you will succeed with your proje

You know people would read your posts if you knew how to form paragraphs.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hi Marty,

Thanks for thePDF!

Something you may want to consider is to read the entire book and THEN go back and review each section individually keeping in mind the entire scope of the book.
I suspect as you go through the book, you will have to amend your previous posts on your blog.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Best of luck to you, Marty, on your project. Pretty ambitious and I look forward to reading about your progress. I hope you are already at least a moderately accomplished card manipulator, because too much of EATCT is, IMO, virtually useless as an instructional book for a beginner. Being a beginner I have found some of the descriptions excellent, such as for the diagonal palm shift, and others so poor as to appear to be physically impossible to do as described (such as the longitudinal palm shift, p80). He also seems to get pretty careless, or at least inconsistent, with his terminology. He uses the technical terms consistently, but can't seem to give coherent directions with words like in, out, up, down, toward, etc. No doubt his descriptions are crystal clear to someone who already knows exactly how to do the moves. Yes, the man created a ground-breaking publication when it was published 100 years ago. That is deserving of respect, but not adulation. And the material provides the foundation for a lot of much better technique available today from people who actually know how to teach a subject. Just as whale oil lamps were a big deal, too, when they came on the market, but we're all using electric lights now for good reasons. Doesn't mean I don't use an oil (not whale) lamp when the situation is appropriate (power is out), but I don't imbue the oil lamps with an unwarranted reverence. I also don't appreciate an author claiming a single move can be learned easily with only a modest amount of practice when he knows full well it will take 80-100 hours of very serious work to nail it. I see too much of that arrogant smugness in magic instruction, including EATCT, but that's a different thread entirely. And about those DVDs that are available. Books have certain advantages and certain limitations. Likewise, DVDs have certain, different, advantages and other, different, disadvantages than books. Live personal instruction also has its own set of advantages and limitations. To say one or the other is the 'best' is short-sighted IMO. When you eat dinner, do you insist on only using a plate and fork, even when soup is being served, because plates and forks are 'the best way' to serve food? Of course not. So, obviously, I'm not an Erdnase accolyte and will undoubtedly hear a firestorm of criticism for my non-standard perspective. You can just blow me off as an uninformed card novice if you want to. Be that as it may, my point is this: Dive into your chosen project, enjoy it thoroughly, be very proud of the skill you achieve, but don't be surprised when you run into severe roadblocks by restricting yourself to that one source. And don't romanticize it into sainthood. Vernon knew Erdnase better than most anyone, yet he spent a great deal of effort improving upon and generally cleaning up the material. So be willing to consult other sources, and other types of sources, when you run into the blind alleys in EATCT. I have every confidence you will succeed with your project.

80 - 100 hours IS moderate.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

@wnewhouse, so you like EATCT, but with reservations? I'm not sure if you love it or hate it!

Quote:
That is deserving of respect, but not adulation.

Considering its historical significance, I think it deserves some adulation (Vernon obviously thought so too). However, the text isn't perfect and Erdnase wasn't the greatest proof reader, I'll grant you that.

Quote:
Dive into your chosen project, enjoy it thoroughly, be very proud of the skill you achieve, but don't be surprised when you run into severe roadblocks by restricting yourself to that one source.

I never intended to study the book in isolation. I read and practice a lot of card magic on a regular basis, and no doubt my experience will alter my interpretation of the text.

Dorian said:

Quote:
Something you may want to consider is to read the entire book and THEN go back and review each section individually keeping in mind the entire scope of the book. I suspect as you go through the book, you will have to amend your previous posts on your blog.

Yeah, I'm sure this will happen, and often at that! I have no problem exposing my ineptitude during this project. In fact, I'm hoping it will result in some humours posts. After all, we all know that making mistakes is part of the learning process.

Thanks for taking a interest in the project.

Marty