The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: Are you satisfied with your magic purchases most of the time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
CaMagic51
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I am interested in learning whether Café members are satisfied with their magic purchases most of the time. I invite anyone interested in participating to respond with a message addressing two things: First, a simple "yes" or "no" answer to the question I pose. Second, a rating on a 5 point scale as to how satisfied or dissatisfied they are, where 1 is very dissatisfied and 5 is very satisfied. 3 would mean that they are about equally satisfied and dissatisfied. If anyone does not want to stick their neck out publicly, they can PM me and I will tally their input along with the input of others and not disclose their identity. At some point I will report the results. This is intended to be very subjective. I debated whether to include or exclude books and DVDs and decided to include them along with individual tricks. Thank you.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Hi CaMagic1-

Are you asking about purchases in person (shops & lectures), online, or from Café members? For me, in order, the answer would be:

Usually.
Sometimes.
Almost always.

I will say, though, that as far as buying used items from fellow magicians, it is important to adk about condition, availability of insgructions, and overall quality. I've had a couple of minor disappointments, but all because I dif not adk the right questions, and almost laways fellow artists have been open to returns and/or substitutions of product.

Hope that helps.

Motley Mage
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I make mostly online purchases as there aren't any more magic shops close to me here. And if I consider the past couple of years I would say it's a 50-50 split. However over the past year only it is closer to 100% satisfied. What changed? I now purchase mostly from creators only, and I know which creators I can trust to offer only top-notch magic.

Works for me!

Thanks!

Jim
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
For me, it's expecting the earth shattering method, only to find
out it uses something I already have. ..

yes..3...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sometimes I'm wild to get something like Axel Hecklau's News Flash, Gene Anderson's Picto Transpo or Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot and I'll get it, practice and put in my show as fast as I can (responsibly). I love them and would perform them as recreation (don't tell my clients).

My backlog of un-worked Magic would say that I'm not always happy but occasionally the right time comes along and something that has lain fallow for a long time will come into play. I tend to hold on to Magic that I think is good but I'm not "feeling" it yet.

I have a lot of Magic that I get, have an immediate reaction against and pass it along at the next Magic Club sale. I never get a good price at auction because despite the new packaging I can't bring myself to "sell" things I don't like.

If the reason I don't like an effect is a personality thing I'll often try to find it a good home with a likely match. Sometimes I get less money back on those deals but I like to see good Magic find a home. I love to see the Magic performed to good effect by its adopted Magician. (This does not always happen).

I tend to make a lot of the Magic in my show and I don't always end up liking the Magic I decide to make either, so... "You gotta kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince".

-Mary Mowder
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
When I first started I was dissapointed with a lot of purchases.
But I learn't to not jump at things that excited me till I did some
research and read reviews on them.They can make things sound do enticing.
And you still have some misses sometime.
Todd
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bowers is right.

If you ask a few questions of yourself before researching the effect (which you should also do) you can save some money.

Is this in my character? Is it something I'm willing to practice? Does everyone else do it? Do I want to carry it? Where would I perform it? Do I have several different versions of this effect? Etc...

"And you still have some misses sometimes."

-Mary Mowder
CaMagic51
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Really good and thoughtful comments. Others?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sorry I didn't follow the rules CaMagic51.

-Mary
joemystic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of joemystic
I like to see the magic performed before I buy it. I like the promotional videos. It has been a good policy until recently. I have noticed that the promo videos are being cut and pasted and are downright misleading. I recently watched the video for Infinitum. I would dare Hondo to perform the unlink in person as seen on the video. If you watch it there is a glitch/cut just before the unlink. I have purchased items that disappointed because of video editing. I now watch closer for misleading shots. Show me the effect start to finish with no editing and I am usually satisfied with the purchase.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Well I have been happy with my buys, but like some people I really ponder over the items I am buying. Recently I thought about adding a music section to my kid shows and I am now in the process of buying some effects for it. If they come out bad I will just bite the bullet because as a musician things you like today may not be the ones you like tomorrow. Because of that magic buys of today might be a bad buy tomorrow. I would say though if I find that 20% of my buys are good then it is worth it to me.

Just as a side note every book I bought has been well worth it. I mean I would have paid $100 for Royal Road (just don't tell Dover)
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Years ago I was probably happy with 60 percent of what I bought and 40 percent not so much. I have found that over the years. I hardly ever buy something that I have ended up not being happy with. But am also much more picky of what I buy as well. I'm not one to buy the latest release just because it's the new and improved this or that. Or some new method and effect. So yes I am happy with the purchases that I make. I'd have to give my satisfaction a five.
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 21:23, joemystic wrote:
I like to see the magic performed before I buy it. I like the promotional videos. It has been a good policy until recently. I have noticed that the promo videos are being cut and pasted and are downright misleading. I recently watched the video for Infinitum. I would dare Hondo to perform the unlink in person as seen on the video. If you watch it there is a glitch/cut just before the unlink. I have purchased items that disappointed because of video editing. I now watch closer for misleading shots. Show me the effect start to finish with no editing and I am usually satisfied with the purchase.

Hi,
This clip will answer your question about my Unlink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxRnl9d96E0

(I use a simple software to transfer the video and subtitles for Youtube. The actual quality of DVD is more better.)

Hondo
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Years ago most magic sold was designed to be performed across a dealer table.
Today most magic sold is demmed by video and highly edited.

Bottom line is that most magic sold was never developed or designed to be performed professionally.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes. I give it a 5.

With my limited pension, I can't just buy what I think is good. Having been discouraged by exposure and the general attitude of spectators (mine anyway), I decide to look into The Bizarre. I discovered 0utl@w Effects, and the L*n@ series...and yes, I paid dearly...I got all three books and Pe@rly G@tes!

To say I am satisfied would be a gross understatement! If I never did another Coin/Silk or Ball effect, I would still be ahead! Because Of L*n@, I am in trouble with my family, and have lost a couple friends...hee hee heeee! I LOVE it!

Penguin has always been my favorite Magic Shop. I've never been disappointed by them. MJM is good too! But, remember, I don't buy the latest thing. Usually.

Doug
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Hey Doug--Feel free to send me all of your silk magic! B^)
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4544 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Recently I've been smart with my magic purchases. A good 70/30
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Thanks CaMag--great idea for some input.
I have been out of magic for about 15 years, as far as keeping up with it and progressing.
What I find is a bonus. If you shop carefully, there are a lot more visual effects than before, and
magic is doing away with the plastic junk that used to clutter dealer shelves. But on the downside, magic trick prices are
so high, and without being able to see tricks at a shop (I am assuming this is true for many of us, due to lack of shops or time),
it is a lot easier to get rooked when buying tricks. I would say I am satisfied about 50% or less of the time.
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
Yes, 4 out of 5. I am very careful with my magic dollars, no impulse buys. I can't afford those.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
As I get older, I buy less magic and concentrate on making the magic I already have better.