The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Abbott's Mutilated Parasol (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hi Dick Oslund, with the fast changing world we now live in, where products and companies are gobbled up like candy, the shelving paper is no long available, as the company is out of business. Very sad, indeed!

So I have been looking for a good substitute for some time now. Thanks for the tip Dick!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OY I should have mentioned ..... When I was using Dye Version, I was looking for something that would last a season.

My sister suggested plain white CONTACT PAPER. So, I bought a roll of CP and, since I wanted a 6 foot long sign at the finish, I cut a 12 foot piece off the roll. Working with my sister -- and brother-in-law, we first folded the paper in half to get a 6' long blank paper for the sign. We made a sharp crease at the fold.

Working on the dining room table, we stretched out the CP with the sticky side up ( It still had the protective coat in place).

It was necessary to 'tack' down one six foot section with a few tiny pieces of duct tape. (Use just enough duct tape to do the job)

Next,we carefully removed the protective coat from the taped down section.This is tricky (that's why 3 people!!!)

We had to work carefully aroung the "tack" of duct tape. The few bits of duct tape that had to be left for "tacking" purposes were covered by the double layer of CP.

With this first 6 feet tacked down snugly, and the protective coat removed, we carefully stripped the protective coat from the other 6' section and working as a team, we were able to stick the two sections together evenly so that we had a 6' long double thickness of the CP.

Result: a tough 6' piece double thick piece of CP.

I took it to the sign paper, who printed A P P L A U S E in six inch block letters on it. The other side was left blank.

By the end of the season it showed some wear, but it was still serviceable.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
At the time of the Dye Version "problem" I was not doing the parasol, so I had not thought of the window shade material. I'm no longer doing Dye Version.

The window shade material might be practical for the Dye Version! If it did wear out after some weeks, it could be replaced,without the 'struggle' of the contact paper!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick, been to the Hardware store lately, rolls of Contact Paper are gone as well. There are some off brand on the web, but nothing like the colors and metallic version Contact use to make. The last Contact paper I seen in the store was in 9"x12" sheets at a Meir's big box store locally.

Times are a changing!!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 23:49, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Dick, been to the Hardware store lately, rolls of Contact Paper are gone as well. There are some off brand on the web, but nothing like the colors and metallic version Contact use to make. The last Contact paper I seen in the store was in 9"x12" sheets at a Meir's big box store locally.

Times are a changing!!

You can say that again....and not all for the better!
Mister Mystery
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I guess you can tell! I've been retired since 2008.

But, I am getting stronger in my 'dotage'. --It used to be that I couldn't carry ten dollars worth of groceries. --Now, it's easy!

Sheesh...I spent a half hour describing that sign making episode with the contact paper!!!!! Oh well...it was good exercise!

I always liked Dukes Dye V. I had to cut it on a/c of set up time. Doing 14 and 15 per week and making the jumps can be a challenge!

You mean they don't still sell buggy whips and celluloid collars? OY!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I have used the Abbotts for the past few years, I think its the best around, But a small piece of rod on the top has just broke, I have contacted Abbotts and they don't reply. I would be willing to buy another framework for the parasol. why havent they replied to any of my e-mails,
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I have used the Abbotts for the past few years, I think its the best around, But a small piece of rod on the top has just broke, I have contacted Abbotts and they don't reply. I would be willing to buy another framework for the parasol. why havent they replied to any of my e-mails, they may have stop making this model ???????
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Best of luck, Wally. I hope you can get it resolved. I am still waiting on my parasol. Abbott's may be busy as they recently held their close-up magic convention. I am hoping it will get here soon. I went ahead and bought a roller shade but I am not going to cut it until the parasol arrives. According to what Greg told me when I placed the order it should get to me at any time.
Mister Mystery
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Hi, I would be interested in how the last two posters made out. Wally, did you get your parasol repaired? Regan, did you receive your parasol ok.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I did receive my Mutilated Parasol. The parasol is nice, but I had a problem with the change purse. I notified Abbott's about the problem the day after I received it. I won't go into too many details yet, but lets just say I am not happy with Abbott's customer service. I will be posting more as I see how this plays out.

Chris, I have not forgotten your request for a review. I will post one when I see how all this goes.
Mister Mystery
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Regan! Sorry to hear that your 'purse' is giving you a problem. --and, I'm surprised that Greg isn't 'taking care' of you.

See my post further up this thread...IMHO, that 'purse' is a relic of the gay nineties!

I 'filed' the purse in the bottom of an old trunk and there it will rot! I bought my parasol second hand, and the purse came with it. Had I ordered it new from Colon, I would have specified NO PURSE, and would have gotten the prop at a slight discount.

I use a flat drawstring change bag (Gen Grant called it a 'tote' bag when he first made them eons ago. My bag is home made and of a fairly nondescript color. I want it to look like a little boy's marble bag (not a magic prop).

My routine (courtesy of old pal Don Lawton)never fails to get a huge laugh when the mutilated parasol is dragged out. There are several other good laughs in the 2 minute routine, plus a big mitt at the finish.

I published it in MUM a couple years ago (I forget what issue). If I weren't retired, I would never have published it!!!!!!!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The bag to parasol cover is the more popular way of changing the silks to a parasol cover. As with this idea, it is only a one time transposition, but one could use a prop like Abbott's Casket of Pandora's Tube to change it back, or even use the purse that comes with the item.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Guys, thanks for the advice. Dick, I am sure I read your routine, but I hope I can find it and read it again.

Yes, I realize some do not like the purse, and that there are other props that can be used. However, I personally do like the idea of having a purse for the volunteer to use. It goes along with the routine I came up with, so for my routine it is a necessity. And besides, the fact is that I got a defective prop and Abbott's has not done anything about it. I have waited, and waited, and debated whether to post about this or not. Chris had asked for a review, and I had planned on posting something, but I was trying to hold off until this got settled. Well, someone else brought it up, and Abbott's has had plenty of time and hardly made any effort, and I fell I have given them ample time, so here goes.

I had spent a long, long time trying to come up with a Mutilated Parasol routine. I waited years to purchase one because I wanted to make sure I had a routine that was good, sort of unique, and one that I was happy with. There are a couple of things I do not like about the standard MP routines that I know, so I wanted to do something a little different. I spent a long time trying to figure out whether or not the new MP would work with my ideas. Many of you are probably aware of the posts I had recently been making with all the inquiries about the interior of the parasol shaft, etc. When I finally placed the order with Abbott's I ordered some extras to go with my MP because I had some mods I had to do right off the bat.

Prior to the actual placement of the order, I had already written my routine and had been practicing it 'dry' so I could be ready to go when my festival show schedule began. Of course I did not have the actual props so I had to make believe and feign parts of my rehearsals, but it worked out well. Still, I was really pressed for time because as I said, I had some modifications to do after everything arrived. That is the reason I made sure it could be ready in time for my shows when I placed the order. I was assured that it would, and was told it would take about 2 weeks to get everything made. That gave me about 3 weeks to spare so I felt fine with that. It took longer, and I admit that I was getting nervous, but I kept in contact (I sent sent emails to Abbott's on March, 22 & April, 4) and it arrived with about 9-10 days before my show schedule began.

I discovered the problem with the purse the day after the package arrived. I had plenty of things to do with the mods to the MP routine, and other new things I had been working on for this year's schedule, so I was really short on time. I immediately called Abbott's and informed them of the problem but I felt I was not treated right. After some back and forth they finally did offer to repair the purse, but that meant sending it back, waiting on them to make the repair, and waiting on it to arrive after it was sent back to me. I only had 6-7 working days and I knew there was no time for that. I was told that they would have Abbott's seamstress give me a call, but I waited.....and waited.....and waited....until I finally gave up. In the meantime, the shows I had needed the MP so badly for came and went.

By this time I had already given up on Abbott's, so when I finally got a little free time I decided to try and make the repair myself. I am no seamstress, and I only sew by hand, but I did the best I could. The problem is, the inner material had been cut way too short and the stitching missed it in several places. Nearly the entire bottom of one side's interior compartment was not sewn, and several smaller areas up both sides of the both inner compartments were left unstitched. The material was raveling badly, and there was not enough length to make the repair without bringing the stitching inward. Which is what I finally did, but it left the bag looking sort of 'bunched' and 'wavy'. It also made the bag's inner compartment slightly smaller, which is not a good thing as it is a tight enough fit as it was. Anyway, I did the best I could, and I don't think it could have been done any better without taking the entire thing apart and replacing the lining completely.

Over a month after I received my MP I sent an email to Abbott's asking how much a new purse would cost, and guess what? A couple of days later the seamstress emailed me. I explained everything to the seamstress through a reply email, but I have yet to hear back from her, and that was 8-9 days ago. I told her I had already tried to repair the purse and I also told her that I was not happy with Abbott's costumer service. I again asked what a new purse would cost but I'm still waiting to hear.

I realize things happen, and I am not blaming the seamstress or anyone for the defect, but Abbott's service after the sale left a lot to be desired in this case. It was not my fault, but yet it seemed they tried to insinuate that it was. (I was told they had never heard of anyone turning the purse inside out, even though the instructions clearly tell you to do so. I was also told they had never had a complaint about the purse before. It was also mentioned that they knew I was in a hurry for this, because I kept sending emails. So what? I sent 2 emails to check on the progress and to get some measurements so I could be making my tube. I was in a hurry, but I did not want a defective prop!)

I am not really happy with the purse now, and I guess I'll just have to buy another, if they will sell me one. I am picky, (Abbott's reminded me of that too) but I just spent all this money and I do expect it to be workable. I don't think that is asking too much. I mean a major part is defective to the point it cannot even be used, and they drag their feet and cause me to miss out having it for the most important shows of my season. I have been an Abbott's customer for many years, and I thought they would have taken care of me better than this. After I explained the problem, it seems they should have been willing to ship out a new purse as I shipped the defective one back to them. I could have gotten a new purse in time for my shows and I would be praising Abbott's costumer service. They have my contact info, and if they didn't trust me to return the defective item I would have gladly given my CC info to them so they could charge me if I didn't send it back. They may have it on file anyway, but regardless I would have gladly given it to them. I guess they feel they are not obligated to help. Well, all I can say is, "it is not my fault".

In this case I feel Abbott's costumer service has been second to almost everyone.
Mister Mystery
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I fixed it by tying some wire to hold it together. I will buy another Abbotts mutilated parasol in the future.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I have sent mine back for repair, its been over a week and no reply from them, I am getting worried ???.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, wally wrote:
I have sent mine back for repair, its been over a week and no reply from them, I am getting worried ???.

Did you get Abbott's permission to send it to them for repair? I ask because you would have had to contact them and get a response. If you just sent it to them, then I hope you sent it registered mail or signature required delivery to prove they received it. You should be worried, if you did not make proper arrangements.

Why are you asking here on the Café, the Café has nothing to do with Abbott's Magic. Abbott's don't advertise on the Café, and only one guy that says he has any connection with Abbott's post once in a while.

You really think they are going to drop everything just to fix your umbrella? Look to wait several month, if not longer. They are not going to contact you, you sent your apparatus to them. So it is your job to contact them.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Yes Greg said it would be best to send mine to them as some parasols have changed size . still no reply .
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Its on its way back to me, Fixed. Has anyone used the Israel mutilated parasol ?
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi Wally
I have the Mutilated Parasol you are speaking about.
This is excellent version.
You can see a small presentation on my video (around minutes 6:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLeP-Q0s_hI
The cost is $125 + $20 for shipping (brand new), paypal
Please let me know.
Eran

Click here to view attached image.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net