The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Abbott's Mutilated Parasol (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase an Abbott's Mutilated Parasol. I know Abbott's changed their design a few years ago. Abbott's calls the new model "improved" I have heard some conflicting reports on the quality of the new design.

I know they switched to diamond cut silks, but that is not an issue for me at all. I also read that the new model is longer. I guess that would be a problem when using a newspaper as the tube, but I can deal with that. There may be other differences that I am unaware of. I would love to hear about them, but I am most just interested in the quality of the umbrella.

How does it compare to the old one?
Will it stay locked in the open position or do you have to hold it?
Does the paint chip off easily?
Overall durability?

The price on this has raised substantially and I am not sure if I want to get a new one or not.

I will appreciate any advice you have or knowledge you are willing to share.

Thank you!
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Regan, most all your questions are answered in this forum you even posted in. A member says he purchased this item recently.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

Regan, you seem to be confused about the word "Improved", this has been called this for many years. What that is referring to is the ability of loading the parasol from either end of the newspaper tube. That is one of the best features that Abbott's has over all others. The only other company that made the parasol like this was Edward Drane Co. out of Chicago over 40 years ago.

If possible, I really advise you actually go to Abbott's if you are seriously thinking of purchasing this trick from them. I don't know whether to believe all these negative comments or not. As the people have no credentials of any kind, and never post pictures of what they are complaining about. If they are someone that has not purchased much magic then they really don't know what to expect from magic manufacturer.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, thanks. I was confused on about 'improved'. Thanks for clearing that up. I know quite a bit about the Abbott's model, and the single tube method is the main reason it is the only MP I had ever considered buying. I have thought on getting one for years and finally came up with a routine that I like, but then I started hearing some negative comments about the latest version. I started doing searches and reading all the threads I could find here at the Café.

Most of my concerns have been addressed but I still have not been able to find out if the new Abbott's model will lock in the open position or not.

Thanks for your help!
Mister Mystery
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Regan:

I wouldn't use the word "lock"...."stay" is more like it.....due to the construction.........it should not be a problem at all....

There is a reason that so many working magicians use Abbott's Mutilated Parasols................
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Here is what I know about the "new" style parasol from Abbott's.

1) It still uses steel ribs. That is very important for durability.

2) It never really did lock open real well. As Rainboguy said it kind of stays against a brass clip. It performance I never really locked it open but it could be.

3) Paint is the same as always. Yes, it can rub off but I never say any real problem with it.

4)Cover is still made with 100% silk that will take the wear and tear.

5) It is about 1- 1 1/2" longer than their older models. Just the difference in ribs. Not that big of a deal unless you roll it up in a newspaper as I did. With the papers getting smaller and parasol slightly larger, it made too little cover for me on both ends of the rolled up paper.

6) Price is still a bargain when you consider all the work in making one.

BTW, I prefer the red on the outside of the tie dyed cover as I feel it looks bigger than the blue on the outside.

Hope that helps.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks guys! You have been very helpful.I am convinced that Abbott's is the only one for me, but I have one other concern. I need to know the inside diameters of the shafts. I know that Abbott's went to diamond cut silks, and I hear they are much lighter weight than they sued to be. If this is a necessity due to a smaller I.D of the shaft then the new model may not work for me. If it is the same as the old model then I am going to order one very soon....like within a week or so. I'm gett8ing closer! Thanks!
Mister Mystery
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Regan:

I could be wrong but I believe that the interior dimension of the shaft is the same size. it's the size of the ribs now that makes it necessary to use diamond-cut silks.

By the way, I replaced the ones that came on my last parasol from Abbott's with Jay Scott Berry's Diamond-cut silks....the look better and "flutter" better when you spin the parasol.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Visually, it appears to be the same size but I can't say for sure. Just ask Greg and he can tell you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ooh, if the spokes are larger, or more bulky then that will probably kill it for me. I plan on calling Greg to discuss this with him, but I still need to figure out some things before I do.

I may have to try and find an older model, I don't know. Even if I can locate one it seems the model might be difficult to discern and I would probably be at the mercy of the seller. Maybe if I can find out what year Abbott's went to this model it would help with the identification.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Again, why not go to the source, Greg use to be very forthcoming about information. I have not spoken to him in a while so I do not know if anything has changed.

Another source is the guy who calls himself "magicgettogether" here on the Café. I don't know who he is, but he always seems to offer his help, and find out information from Abbott's.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I finally have an Abbott's Mutilated Parasol ordered. According to Greg, it should be here within a few days. I am waiting for Greg to email the measurement for the length I will need to make the tube. I am hoping to get that done while I am waiting. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what material to use? I am hoping to find something that will be durable if I can.

Thanks for everyone's help with this purchase decision!
Mister Mystery
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Regan, I can't wait for you to get yours and critique it.

Chris
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Chris, I will try to remember to post something after I use it for a while and test it out.

One other question: Greg told me the overall length of the parasol is 28". I am guessing that there is 4-5" of white on each side, so I am thinking that a tube of about 24" would work well. That would leave 2" protruding from each end. Is that enough, or should I make the tube a little shorter?
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Go by how long the cover section is, the white part. The tip on the top is about @" long. The white handle is about 4" long. Better to show less of the white than the colored cover.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Regan~~~

After a lot of years, I finally put the mutilated parasol into the show in 1992. It was a hit from the first day! When I jerk out the 'mutilated' parasol, it's an absolute show stop laugh.

I had played with the prop over the years, but could not come up with a routine that fit ME and MY audiences. When I found it, I tested it, and as long as I have the strength to carry it in, it will be IN!

So THE COVER. First DO NOT USE NEWSPAPER!!!!! The ink on newsprint never totally dries, ands you'll stain the silk parasol.

I tested several materials, and finally settled on WINDOW SHADE MATERIAL. Mine is an off white. I imagine it can be found in several muted pastels. (I don't want it to be flashier than the parasol!!!)

I bought a shade at a store that sells "window treatments" etc. It comes rolled around a 1" diameter round "stick". The "bottom" has a thin wood strip in an 'open' hem. The wood stick makes it easier to handle the cover and to "control" it when rolling it.

End to End, when rolled around the parasol,my cover is 20" long This just covers the parasol with the white ends showing. The white ends on my parasol are 5 1//4" long at the handle end and 2 1/2" long at the ferrule end.

Unrolled , the cover is 20" x 18". >>> IMPORTANT <<< : The window shade was 40" wide before I cut off a piece for the parasol cover. I cut the parasol cover 20" x 20". One thin wood strip was already "installed" in an open hem. The extra inch was wrapped around another 20" thin wood strip (from the hem of the left over window shade and glued in place.

Thus the shade has a "handle" on both ends It's much easier to roll it with the strips. Try it, you'll see.

You could use BROWN WRAPPING PAPER, but this need replacing as it becomes a bit battered on the road. The window shade will last all season.

If you have any questions on this, PM me.

"I'm just a fella, a fella with an umbrella"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just double checked when I read back through your last post above and noted that the "new" parasols are 28" long.

My parasol is 26" long!!!!! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE YOUR COVER TWO INCHES LONGER!

Greg has to make the prop from the umbrellas that he can buy. My parasol is over 20 years old.

But, the above dimensions can certainly be adjusted to fit. Make it a little long and then cut off to fit.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe Freezer wrapping paper will work as well. It is 24" wide, and plastic coated on one side. Thus it will last a few shows before replacing, and you can decorate the white paper side however you like. Messages can even be stenciled on it, for a comedy addition or a message who the event that hired you.

I looked for a long time to find a good non-hem type of material, I just never thought of those old roller blinds. Good advice, Dick!!

Maybe I will get that roller blind for my Dukes Dye Version, never have to replace it then.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks so much! Richard had already given me some excellent ideas, and now I have another. Decisions, decisions! Smile

Dick, that is a wonderful idea and description! I will check and see what I can find!

Thanks again to everyone!
Mister Mystery
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just remembered (egad,I AM getting slow!!!)

A couple of years ago, I published in MUM, the routine I'm using for the Parasol. I got it from old pal, Don LAWTON. I changed the lines to fit me and my audiences (mostly schools--in this case elementary schools)My lines for the parasol, are 'geared' to younger kids, but not high school young adults.

I never liked (personall taste) the "I will now say the magic words and the parasol cover will be over here in this (ugly) purse and the silks will be over here tied to the parasol...etc." No surprise, no applause, etc.

Don and I must have had the same mother! We thought so much alike!!!

When I jerk out the mutilated parasol, IT'S A SHOW STOP LAUGH!

I probably should never have tipped this, but, I'm retired. And, others have passed along ideas to me over the years. Now, it's my turn!

BTW I don't use the (ugly) purse! I use one of those FLAT drawstring change bags (Gen Grant called it a 'TOTE BAG'. In the routine, it's called "my old marble bag" (there are no marbles in it.) --I lost all my marbles years ago.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OH! BILL>>>>> For DUKES DYE VERSION...

I wanted a sign that would last all year, as you just mentioned, Bill.

Duke made up different signs all the time, 'cuz he worked casuals, parties,etc. I was doing schools, so I wanted a 'generic' sign.

At the finish of the DV, it's a bit tricky to cue the crowd for applause,due to the sequence of 'events' at the finish.

So, I went to a sign painter and had him paint A P P L A U S E in big letters (like TV studios use to cue the studio audiences) IT WORKED GREAT!