The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
It would be great to read in the book about the issues that are disucussed during the spring meeting where they finalise the new range of tricks.

You mention elsewhere you hope to be there this year for the meeting. And it would be fascinating to have such a meeting written up for the book.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I actually didn't mean that I'd be there for a product meeting, just that I'd be having a meeting with the Tenyo folks in that room.

I don't think they would let an outsider into a product meeting, but it's a good idea nevertheless.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
On your 20 hour flights to & from Japan, just reread every post ever written in this forum.
That will keep you out of trouble and give you some ideas.
For example- We have complained about a number of issues with some of the tricks. I would love to know
how their engineers respond to these complaints. Noise issues, quality issues, things not working issues (think wonder window)

How about some of their flops, & just plain terrible ideas. I can think of one someone here recently called Kaka.

Just as aside, do any of them follow this forum. Would be cool to have a rep from there pop on here once in a while.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Ed, having a conversation with a Japanese person is nothing like conversing with a Westerner. You don't approach things directly.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Richard, then here is hoping you find the diplomatic, politically & culturally correct way to
Address the issues. Because I am way too politically incorrect to be
Let out in public:)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Lol! Ed, could make a fun reality show.... "Ed Goes To Japan"

For the book might be neat to incorporate the animation from "I'm a Magician" T - 61 somwhere in the book.

John
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Yeah, I can see it now, meeting Toru Suzuki, looking him right in the eye and say, love Crystal Cleaver, but did it have to be so noisy?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Great news richard I can't wait to see this book.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

It's 14 hours from DC to Tokyo, a straight shot. I do it all the time and enjoy the solitude of the flight. Also get a lot of work done.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-18 22:37, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Ed, having a conversation with a Japanese person is nothing like conversing with a Westerner. You don't approach things directly.

And that, sir, is an understatement worthy of the Japanese!

After three months in Osaka, I learned so much about thinking through every possible ramification and interpretation of every single word in every single sentence. It made Bill Murray's scenes in "Lost in Translation" even funnier, since I saw it about a week after I got back.

I wish I was in DC instead of DFW; I would love to assist on a project like this. It sounds remarkable, and I know it will be done with the passion and attention to detail that you always show.

Really looking forward to this book.

Cheers,

Pix
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1484 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Great news Richard and the perfect person to do it. What a mammoth task ahead. Any prototype photos/sketches you want you can have.

Angelo
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Thanks, Angelo. I'll be in touch!
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Richard,

I would be really interested to know about the T-numbers from T-42 to T-60.

Why are some of them so hard to find like T-43 Invisible Man and T-54 Melting Loop?

Why are there two that no one we know of has T-44 Magic Coaster and T-45 Breakaway Fan. These are so scarce that there is barely a picture of them?

Why are there duplicate T-numbers like Melting Loop packages printed with T-54 and T-64?

Where the heck did That is Your Card come from and why does it have the same T-Number as Billiard Balls?

Some kind of research into these question would be valuable to collectors and would be information that has never been published.

John
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Many of this questions have already been asked to Tenyo in many occasions, and they know nothing!
It is very old, people do not remember, may no longer there. Even in Japanese Official website they explain they have no clue about these missing T-numbers. They also explain that the T- were added to the magic tricks sold internationally. The only for Japan trick do not have this T- number.

My question is why there is a gap in 1984 with no T-tricks produced this year.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Just because no answers have been given previously, doesn't mean they really don't know.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes but we must be pragmatic ... If they had the answer they had absolutly no reason to lie and hide...

"I know the answer to this question, but I'll pretend I did not to all those who have requested past 40 years because it's super funny..." I can not imagine the Japanese think this way.

Do not complicate things unnecessarily. But obviously it costs nothing to ask again, and you have to try.

They have already said that maybe they can be mistakenly selected a wrong number during production and therefore skipped the missing numbers so as not to create incoherence. This can explain the double reference en some tricks (good number on instructions and error on package, both produced independently by differents subcontractor). Maybe it's something else. I hope you have the chance to finally have a definitive answer to this problem which all the fans seek answers for decades.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Richard,

I remember bugging you about this on many occasions, glad to hear this has finally come to fruition. I personally would like to see a book with ARTFUL photos of every single Tenyo trick made as part of the "T" line with backstory data for each trick.

1. It would also be nice to cater the book towards the Tenyo magic collector and not just magicians.
2. Perhaps a rarity classification system and/or production numbers by region (Tenyo probably wouldn't release this information, but it would be neat - it would sure clean up eBay gouging)
3. Perhaps a price guide based on an avergage of verifiable eBay closings.
4. Tenyo prop and packaging variations (e.g., Midas Machine prop color variants)
5. Packaging photos for US tenyo tricks with front and back shots.

Extremely glad to hear this effort is in your capable hands!

Good luck.
daddy_bone
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of daddy_bone
Richard, this is such great news!!! I've been a fan of Tenyo even since I was 10 years old working in a magic shop demoing magic. I always remember that these were the most expensive close up tricks in stock, BUT that never stopped me and having my parents buying them for me Smile Ever since then I've been collecting and have a collection of over at least 50 Tenyo tricks. Can't wait for this release!!!!
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I do not think it is necessary to specify Richard, but if you need help, advice or pictures or other for you book do not hesitate to ask me.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Thanks, Stereo, for your offer, The members of this Tenyo chat group have already made many good suggestions here. I have more questions to ask than I can count. I have to start in Tokyo.