The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Agree...it will be worth the wait.. and I know you will be happy when it's over Richard but I know it has been a labor of love. Can't wait to finally see it but I am patient and of course will wait as long as it takes to get it right.

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
We reached page 800 in the layout today. Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG. Forget reading this, I'm going to use it to work out with. That's gonna be heavy.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
My head may explode when I receive the book. Fair warning.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I sure hope it's worth the wait! I'll be really glad when it's done ... it is HUGE.

Richard, it WILL be worth the wait! These are going to require some bookshelf reinforcement work.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Perhaps this should have been called "Greater Tenyo" ... Cannot wait, am saving for the postage now Smile
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Richard,

Will this still be a two volume set and if so, how many pages are you projecting each to be?

Thanks,
Kirk
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I was expecting it to be 1,200 pages: two 600-page volumes in a slipcase. Considering where we are in the T-numbers at page 800, it might be a bit shorter. We cannot tell until it's actually finished.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Thought I would give everyone an update on the book.

We just passed page 900 in the layout and we have about 8 or 9 more years of tricks to go. Since the text is all formatted and laid out, with empty boxes placed where the photos will be, I can guess that the T-numbers will end on page 1,100 or so (which includes all the items from the 2015 line plus the additional handlings for them). Then there will be a section of at least 50 pages on Tenyo's large parlor magic items and older tricks. The end, I am relieved to say, is in sight.

The biggest task we still have in front of us is the scanning of all the line drawings, and taking of all the photos/doing screen grabs, for the additional handlings of all the items. However, once we get rolling it should take just about three weeks.

Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura have been proofreading right along, however they've asked for the opportunity to proofread the entire book again once layout is completely finished. This may delay the book about a month. So, I'm going to give all those who've paid for the deluxe edition in advance an extra trick as a courtesy because of the slight delay.

Just a few weeks ago another rare parlor magic item showed up, so things are still going in.

Once the book is done and off to the printer, we have to edit the three DVDs that will go inside.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Thanks Richard ... All sounds great to me. Once again I'm fine with however long it takes as long as it gets done and done correctly which I have all the faith in the world in you and your team. I think your offer for those that have paid already is very fair. Thanks for the update and please keep us posted in the future.

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Will do!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Richard appreciate the update. Nice of you to provide the extra trick, like Charlie I am fine with waiting but have to admit I would like it tomorrow Smile

John
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love the updates Richard, as it makes the waiting all the sweeter. Everyone knows you will do this right, so take the time you need.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Wait, Richard's writing a book on Tenyo?
Outstanding!
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Looking forward to it, Richard!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Just shot the photos for the tricks from 2013.
Only one more year to go! Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

We're at page 1,100 in the layout and everything is coming along well.
All the main photos have now been taken.
Some new handlings for the 2015 line of tricks to write.
The month of January will be spent taking the many hundreds of photos for all the new handlings of the tricks.
And then it's off to the printer ... I hope.
Then we edit the DVDs while the book is being printed.
*** big book.
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
I cant wait Richard! It will all be worth it once it's completed. However its one of those projects that could be never ending because as you are completing it each year another new year of tricks comes out adding yet more to the book. You will have to draw the line (I assume you did at 2015)somewhere or you truly would never finish the book. A true labor of love and it will be so worth the wait! Thanks for taking this awesome project up on your broad shoulders and running with it and and making it what is sure to be an outright winner.

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

We won't be able to include the 2015 catalogue or new Plus One effect because we will go to the printer before they come out. So the line is drawn THERE.

But we did just find a very old Tenyo item, perhaps the only surviving example extant, that will go in.

My shoulders are not broad, my back is killing me, and at some point I'm no longer going to have the energy for this stuff. So, this is a book that has to be done now. It seems pretty safe to say that I won't be writing another 350,000 word, 1,200 page book! Smile
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Happy Christmas to you Richard!

You deserve a rest on all your amazing work for us Tenyo fans.

Joe Mckay