The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
No idea yet. Just busy writing!
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Thanks... Good luck!
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Hey Richard,

Even though I am a big fan of Tenyo - I have mainly stuck to buying Lubor Fiedler and Angelo Carbone effects. As such - I hope you will mention in your book your ten favourite Tenyo effects - so that people like myself know which Tenyo effects are the best ones to track down when searching Ebay. I guess the reason I am not more of a Tenyo collector is because I am unsure exactly where to start.

As such - I will use your book to help start my Tenyo collection.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Bob

I assume you have Tenyo effects that Angelo and Lubor invented. Those are some great Tenyo items. There are some older posts where we have shared our favorites, of course there are different opinions but some commonalities as well, would give you a good start.

I would be very interested in what are your Lubor favorites.

John
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
My top 5 favourite Fiedler effects? Here they are in order...

1) FLYING CARPET

2) PHANTOM CLOCK

3) ANTI-GRAVITY ROCK

4) CARD SURGERY

5) 4-D SURPRISE
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Bob, what are your top two or three non Tenyo effects? Mine would probally be Hot Wire, juggling cards and brain box.

John
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I don't do things like "10 Favorite Tricks" in my books. My opinion is too subjective.

And, how can a list like that be valid? I just discovered that "Money Splash" didn't work because the instructions were incorrect. So, would "Money Splash" become a favorite effect of some people if the instructions were correct and they had been using it successfully for years?

Too many variables for lists like that.

If you want to have an idea of which tricks are "good," you might consult Stereo's blog or start a new thread here: "List your 10 favorite Tenyo tricks in order of preference."
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Good points, Richard!

As for 'Non-Tenyo' Fiedler effects. There are some of his from old magazines, books and lecture notes that I really like. But - I won't go over them until I have had a chance to check out the rest of his published (and unpublished?) ideas in the upcoming Kaufman book.

Still - as for the marketed effects - I always thought FLYING COLOUR CARDS was very good. As is the silver foil effect which heats up in the spectator's hands. His DIE-A-BOLIC is very good as well. I also thought SPIN GONE was very novel.

But my favourite would be the tricks based around the die with no ink spots and it's reflection in a mirror (which does have ink spots). Not sure what the original was called - but recently it came out (as a rip off?) as DICE ILLUSION 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ztik_vLhc

Lastly - let's not forget the Dental Dam Penetration. It is one of the strongest tricks in all of close-up magic.

All the best,

Joe Mckay
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Joe, forgot that the die and mirror was his, that is a cool effect. Do not own flying color cards but know the method which is very clever.

Richard makes a good point about favorites lists... however I think he broke his rule in Richards Almanac and I enjoyed reading his thoughts there (may have been positioned as overlooked items)

John
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Hi Bob,
Want a place to start. Not long ago we did a survey here on our favorite Tenyo to perform.
Here is a summary of that topic with the votes received.
They really do make for a cool collection with a great backstory.
Good Luck
Ed

OUR FAVORITE TENYO’S TO PERFORM:

12 Crystal Cleaver
10 Invisible Zone
8 Prison Box
6 4-D Surprise 4D
4 Magical Door
4 Mirage
4 Wonder Window
4 Twister
3 BillScape
3 Eye of the Idol
3 Mystery China Box
2 President’s Cabinet
2 Dragon Altar Dragon
2 Clear Surprise
2 Diabolicus
2 Illusion Scale
2 Mini-Zag
2 Mobile Illusion
2 Parabox
2 Soft Coins
2 Space Towers
2 Tunnel of Darkness
2 Unusual Suspects
Alpha tunnel
Ballerina hank
Bare Bones
Bird Watcher
Blue Crystal
Crystal Pyramid
Cubio
Dynamic Coins
ELEVATOR COINS
Flying Carpet
Fortune Donut
Future Clock
Geometrick
Grand Derby Prediction
Knife of Ninja
Magicians Matchbox
Metamorphosis
Mirror Mate
Mystery Triangle
Ninja Experiment
Sandwich Platter
See Thru Guillotine
Side track
Telesphere
Vault Vision
Zig-Zag Cigarette
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Those favorites will change after my book comes out. Smile
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 11:39, Bob_Hummer wrote:
Good points, Richard!

As for 'Non-Tenyo' Fiedler effects. There are some of his from old magazines, books and lecture notes that I really like. But - I won't go over them until I have had a chance to check out the rest of his published (and unpublished?) ideas in the upcoming Kaufman book.

Still - as for the marketed effects - I always thought FLYING COLOUR CARDS was very good. As is the silver foil effect which heats up in the spectator's hands. His DIE-A-BOLIC is very good as well. I also thought SPIN GONE was very novel.

But my favourite would be the tricks based around the die with no ink spots and it's reflection in a mirror (which does have ink spots). Not sure what the original was called - but recently it came out (as a rip off?) as DICE ILLUSION 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ztik_vLhc

Lastly - let's not forget the Dental Dam Penetration. It is one of the strongest tricks in all of close-up magic.

All the best,

Joe Mckay

Fiedler's "color to no color pip" die was called Shock Die or Shock Dice in the US, marketed by Tannen in the 70s. It was not a mirror effect originally but rather it was gimmicked so that you could drop it or spin it and the pips would change right before your eyes. In Germany it was marketed in larger wood version as Lubor Die (aka Lubor Wurfel)

Flying Color cards is very cool but I don't have the guts to try that one in public.

As far as his Tenyo tricks go, I like most of them but it really is worth looking at other tricks and other inventors, especially the big 4 or 5 inventors.

A few Tenyos that sort of border on being Fiedler-like are: Diabolicus, Metal Matrimony and maybe stretching a little...Eye of the Idol. Also Mystic Scope, while not the greatest Tenyo invention is an optical effect.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 18:38, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Those favorites will change after my book comes out. Smile

Wow, a bold statement Smile & a very cool one.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Hey Richard,

The main thing I am hoping for is a discussion of any unreleased Lubor Fiedler effects. Both in terms of the original prototypes - and the effects that Tenyo decided not to release.

It would be great to see the video clips of Lubor demonstrating his latest ideas to the Tenyo team.

Something I understand he used to do at various FISM conventions.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Bob Farmer once wrote that he was the first person to apply a mirror to the Lubor Fiedler die effect.

I think the mirror is the perfect application for this die. So well done to Bob for coming up with that!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

There are no videos of Lubor demonstrating items to the Tenyo team. Like Angelo Carbone, he sends prototypes by mail and sends a video of what the item is supposed to look like.

Sorry!

New Lubor Field material will be in the Lubor Fiedler book.
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
160 Posts

Profile of overflow
Any update ?

Thanks
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Layout is at 700 finished pages.

Still taking photos.

Things are moving along at a good pace with some excellent new handlings for the just-released 2015 line from Tenyo's top demonstrators. Book is all written except for those, which just adds a few days.

Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura have been proofing all along, but they want another chance to proofread the whole book once it's laid out, so that might add a month or two to the schedule.

All is well and good!
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Great to hear Richard. Worth the wait Smile.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I sure hope it's worth the wait! I'll be really glad when it's done ... it is HUGE.