The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I've just made a deal with Tenyo to produce a book on all of their magic effects with their full cooperation. This will require much work: trips to Japan, writing, photography, and so on.

I'll be interested to hear what YOU think should be in the book!
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Wow that is great news.

Congratulations!
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Great News

I already feel like Stereo's blog is the definitive Tenyo book Smile
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Wow, very cool. Wish I could write (or sing, or draw, or perform magic Smile Oh well, Thank goodness for self working Tenyo's)
Hey there's a chapter: Self working Tenyo's for the sleightly challenged Smile
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Congratulations!!!......can't wait to see the result.

An idea......it would be great that the book includes an original/exclusive "pack flat" trick between his pages....
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
This is something I wanted to do but I can't do all alone and blog take me lot of time.
My idea was A beautiful color book the size of a DVD case of the same style that has been done by French guy for the history of Nintendo and wich is just the perfection. Something in several volumes that covers the history and reference all Tenyo tricks. If a book is made, it must be done properly, it must be in full color with pictures, something very visual and beautiful.

pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Richard

Just to manage expectations, is it fair to say that we are at least 5 years away from seeing this book?

I hope we get Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy before the Tenyo book Smile
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Thank you for your kind word Pierredan ;o)
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jcs013
That is excellent news...cannot wait to see it
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
I feel the Jennings book slipping away....
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
I want it! I want it!
Congrats for the idea and for having closed the deal with Tenyo!
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Richard,

This is wonderful news! I also hope it will be in full color with a lot of photos. I love the idea of the book doing a trick!

Congratulations!
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Great Idea.

It should be large enough to be able to see good size pictures of the props it will be very colorful.

Good for you Richard, getting Tenyo to go along with anything is something very hard to do.

You must have a good idea what you want to do with it to have them say yes to it.

I'll be buying it when it is available. Smile

Richard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
This is incredible news! I once posted that this would be a dream book for me.

Really hope there is a chapter on the prototypes for Lubor Fiedler's tricks (how they looked before and after Tenyo worked on them. Apparently some of his tricks are even stronger before Tenyo has simplified and mass-produced them). Also would love at look at some of Lubor's tricks which Tenyo decided not to go with (for whatever reason).

I love ya' Richard!

Joe
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I imagine the Tenyo team has come up with some amazing ideas over the years which could never be made into a plastic prop. Maybe because they were too complex - or even because they were too simple (perhaps a clever little impromptu or sleight-of-hand piece. You see some of these in the GENII and MAGIC MANUSCRIPT specials on Tenyo back in the late 80's) and were perhaps more suited for a book instead.

Would be nice to get a flavour of the creativity which doesn't (for whatever reason) make it on to the shelves.

Looking forward to it!

Joe
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I'm pretty sure the book will be hardcover, 8.5 x 11, and full color.
And large.
If you have any other ideas, let me know.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
There is lot of fabulous prototypes never produced, for example there is an incredible Zig Zag Coin props described on the Hiroshi Kondo Tenkai Prize book ( I will soon make a blog post about this book ). Maybe that Mr. Kondo has already shown you this prototype Richard when you have meet in Japan. It's a real gem, so clever, so visual. But this was never produced, then it would have probably been a bestseller. There are a lot of things to say about this company. I can't wait to see the final Book.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
There are so many Tenyo tricks that most of us will never get to see.

So - I hope somebody (such as yourself) can perhaps give a run down of the ones which are particularly note-worthy. And perhaps describe how they work. I have followed your writings for years. And you have a good way of briefly and succinctly summarising what is noteworthy about a particular method.

Just seems a shame that an important and inventive method might be buried away unused on a shelf. When it could be summarised, so that others can try and improve them, or adapt them for other tricks. It would be really nice to have a record of the important advances that Tenyo have made in the past.

I am sure you have something like this in mind. But I just wanted to stress how important this book could be for other creators in the future.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Also - I wonder if Tenyo have kept the videos they took of Lubor Fiedler during the various meet-ups they have had with him (often during FISM conventions)? It would be great to see the footage from them on a DVD - or online video (password portected) link.

I hope there is a similar focus on Angelo Carbone as well. Since he is the Lubor Fiedler of his generation. And because he has done so much work for Tenyo in terms of recording and detailing their work.

Joe
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Wow, incredible news Richard! Sign me up for the Deluxe leather version... Hopefully bound with a Melting Loop Smile This along with Stereo' s blog will be great resource for current and future Tenyoites.

Tenyo is such an iconic brand in our little world of magic and it will be great to see it profiled this way. Will the book be aimed at an audience beyond magicians? Having a concise visual representation of Tenyo's incredible line will be great. I will be particularly interested in the inventors and the creative/production process. As Tenyo enthusiasts any rare items that can be uncovered will of course be of interest.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

John