The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Pendulum pull question (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
In an old booklet by Pat Page, he briefly mentions a bottle production using a pendulum pull. Does anyone have any more details on this...ie: how bottle was attached, etc?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It was not the Pendulum Pull but the Pendulum Principle. The person Pat Page referred to was Douglas Francis, is memory serves me, he was a magician before almost all of our current times. You might do a search on Douglas Francis and see what you can find.

As for connection the bottle to a Pendulum, just tie it on. As you will find out comments made in our magic publications are not some magical lost magic effect. Our minds want them to be, but the ones I have researched and found with great expense, are usually a disappointment.

You have all the information you need from The Pull Book to start experimenting yourself.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Actually, it is a pendulum HOLDOUT not PULL. There is a brief description in "The Books of Wonder". That description will give you an idea of what can be done with this great apparatus. It is well known among pros and often utilized by them. Most dabblers in magic are unfamiliar with its use and possibilities.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Magic Researcher:

No, it is NOT a Pendulum Holdout. It is the Pendulum Principle per the Pat Page book.

Bill Hegbli:
Just tieing it on won't work. Or, how would you set the bottle down? And yes, I can indeed start experimenting. I was hoping someone would know the attachment and save me experimentation time.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
The pendulum holdout uses the pendulum principle. It can produce and vanish objects plus do much more. Experimentation is good and necessary.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use an elongated oval or a triangle shaped clip. It will hold the bottle until the tension is taken off.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 20:24, brody wrote:
Bill Hegbli:
Just tieing it on won't work. Or, how would you set the bottle down? And yes, I can indeed start experimenting. I was hoping someone would know the attachment and save me experimentation time.

Again - you are assuming the bottle was set down. It does not imply that in the book at all. The 2 professionals that I have seen use this principal, produce then vanish the object. It is never set down or put in a table or off to the side.

I have no idea what Richard Hughes is thinking of, but a simple rubber stop can be put in the bottle. There are butterfly wall connectors that can be uses a well.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Danny Korem used to lecture and sell something he called "the upside down Topit". It was a pendulum hold-out/pull/device. Using it you could produce (and set down away from your body) a small object or vanish a small object. The vanished object could be something borrowed.

I've used a pendulum to produce a bottle of soda. I used a suction cup afixed to the bottom of the upside down bottle. The bottle came free and could be handed out after being magically produced. It was based on a glass production that was sold by Supreme in the 70s.

A simple oversized loop around the neck of a bottle will work too.

The principle is an old one and probably not the best for vanishing or producing an object. It is just another tool for the good old magical toolbox.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The elongated loop will hold the bottle until it is pressed up from the bottom. They make hookie things to hang up brooms in closets like that.

The suction cup will definitely work also.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I lectured many moons ago with a pendulum weighted clip inspired by a magician named Hughes (can't think of his first name).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Elongated loop!?! Arrgh! I should've thought of that. I know the hook thingy you're talking about.

Just perfect.

Thanks!
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Where could I read more about those (i have read Wonder book 2 and Pat Page book on Pulls) ?
Also any video showing effects with it in action ?
thanks
VG
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe you might find it in the John Cornelius books or Danny Korem books.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com