The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Hank Ball Idea (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have always loved the hank ball for a good clean vanish of a silk. Although I have done ball manipulations for years, I had a bit of trouble getting a solid, natural palm on the metal hank ball.
Since I have the pleasure of working in a theatre and running a makeup department, the thought occured to me to dip the ball in liquid latex. WOW! The result is like the surface of the Fakini multiplying balls. A world of difference. You can get small bottles of liquid latex that applies with a brush at costume shops. I was so happy with the result, I thought I would share my discovery with the fine folks in the Café! Smile
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Thanks for the idea UFO!

I have a couple of bottles of liquid latex lying around here.

I hope I could find them. Smile
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Another thing that will give you a decent grip on things like this is the clear silicone they use as caulking around bathtubs, etc.

I also use it for sound deadening, waterproofing, and sometimes fastening stuff together. Pretty handy to have around.

Just use a THIN coat. (multiple thin coats, if necessary)

Comes in tubes, like tooth paste.

Any hardware store has it. Inexpensive.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys!,

Actually, just thin strips of clear caulk running vertically all around the ball works for me...saves ya bit, too...it wears off after a while, just reapply the night before, or so...

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, but I don't believe the hank ball is intended to be palmed. Did you lose your loop? That is why they invent the Nikko Ball, see Owen's site and Viking just came out with new model.

The instructions for the hank ball is in Tarbell.

If you want to use it as a billard ball that is something all together different.

Bill Smile
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Bill,

Please forgive me but the hank ball can be palmed. I do it all the time. In Jack Chanin's published work on silk magic, he uses the hank ball for productions and vanishes. He actually instructs the magician to put tape around the ball to help with the palming. I find the loop just gets in the way so I don't use it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I palm the hank ball. The newer handlings don't use the loop. I too find that the loop gets in the way.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think I know what you guys mean...

There are TWO...one with, and one without the loop. Either can be palmed, but the "loop" ball is handled like the coin trick "Now-U-C-It...", but I'm not sure of the exact handling, as TWO hands are used, and it's basically a "hand-washing" type manipulation.

The other ball is great for the changeover palm, and standard billiard ball moves.

The two hank balls I have are different sizes, the small one is made of wood, and has a loop, the other is metal with the "caulking" stripes and no loop (but there ARE two holes...hmmmm).

If you have a Palmo Ball, it works just as well. I never saw anyone do the "loop" thing, so I can't comment on which is "better".

Cheers!
Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I simply use a brown ceramic egg from my Silk to Egg set of ceramic eggs. The brown egg doesn't flash and will hold a 24" square silk or six 2" sponge balls.

Although it has never happened to me, I'd much rather be caught with a brown egg that looks and feels like a real egg than some plastic or metal ball or tube I can't explain.

Also because of the shape, it is easier to hold and manipulate.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bill is correct in that the Stillwell ball (hank ball as it is commonly called) was designed to be manipulated by a loop of thread. It is still very effective to use in this manner though very, very few performers understand this way of using the hank ball. Look up the Stillwell Hankerchief Act and more will be made clear.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Some of the eggs are used with loops.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
I love the silk vanish via the Nikko ball made of wood. Difficult to find a nice wood turned one, and very expensive nowadays.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Here is a lady who is a MASTER at the Loop Ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75dHYB01zpA

Doug
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I'm all thumbs with my hank ball. Duane Laflin is to blame. Smile
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Check out Cellini Anytime Anywhere for some excellent loop ball work.