The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Ball Vase Routines (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 07:34, Tony Thomas wrote:
Charlie Frye in his DVD Eccentricks 3 explains some interesting and novel routines with the Ball Vase.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1493

The Eccentricks material is also available in a book (if you prefer) by the same title from Charlie Frye's web site.

Man, I am a fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JA8ZgQm......37DE903B
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I do a simple routine that's very similar to a fellow Andy Fields who can be seen on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TpMOk1rRXQ. There's a guy in florida who sells the cheap sets on Ebay, but he really works them up and did a very fine job for me. In fact, I'm asking him to come up with a larger set. I've got to say that a lot of people know the ball and vase but with some very simple sleights (color changes largely) I really 'wow' people who though they knew what's going on. Take a look at the link above and you'll see what I mean.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
I did Curtis's ideas as shown in the recent magazine for the magic club last night and added a bounce/ no bounce ball to it and it was all a lot of fun to do.

Marty
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Marty, b/nb balls are a great idea. And on hard surfaces, the little black plastic ball that comes with the set bounces like crazy, anyway. Hmm, I might not be done with this routine yet.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Am thinking about this even more.. was thinking for the smart a.......lecks I might end up with 2 no bounce balls for their intensive inspection.

Marty
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I agree that Mike Gallo has a very nice routine with a ball & vase where at the end he switches in a large different colored ball...nice touch..
Bill
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Charlie Frye.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Duraty's routine with liquid finishhas finally been published by Lybrary.com. I love the book so much that I translated it in English at no charge. So I'm slanted but here is Roy W. Eidem's comment on the book that he purchased.

"I recently got back from an extended road trip. I took with me as my companion to read Duraty's "Irresistible Close Up Magic." What an extremely delightful collection and cornucopia of real world magic gleaned from decades of experience! It is difficult to pick a favorite: rings, coins, bills, balls, nuts & bolts, ropes, Okito box, match box, glasses, business cards, tiny light bulbs, and more. No cards, no fillers. Every magician will happily learn more about the art they love by reading this wonderful book!"
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
mbwambwa
View Profile
New user
I've never posted anything, so how come I have
61 Posts

Profile of mbwambwa
I recommend Tarbell's ball and vase routine from vol 8 as well. It's a very nice presentation.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I have done the ball vase and when I showed the vase everybody knew what it was. the knew it from the magic box. they could tell the workings too. did somebode else experienced that too?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I have been tempted to buy or make an ungimmicked version so it can be inspected before the trick. I am not sure it is worth it to me though. Still it would be fun to show it to certain smarties.

Patrick
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I have done the ball vase and when I showed the vase everybody knew what it was. the knew it from the magic box. they could tell the workings too. did somebode else experienced that too?

It is a commonly sold item in toy stores or even stores like "Five and Below". Still I have toyed with the idea of a routine like Charlie Frye's, it can be entertaining and even some surprising magical moments even if they know how it works.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Yeah...Duraty new book is absolutely stunning. Great job. And the vase routine is a real worker!
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2012, Lawrence O wrote:
Duraty has a book ready for publishing with H&R including a ball and vase routine with a liquisd finish

I would love to see an example of this.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
One of the best routines that I have found is by Doug Gorman called the Stones of Tutankhamun with the props made by Jim Riser. Only 20 sets were manufactured (I think) and I have #6 (WOOHOO). I'm not sure if Doug ever published the routine without buying the props -- they were sold as a complete set. You can easily contact Doug about the routine and he will respond within a day and on Jim Risers website he has a video of the routine - Top Notch. With Doug's blessing, you could use other Ball Vase sets with a paint job and a few other items, to perform the routine.
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

When I started to do a ballvase Routine, I wanted to have the spectators examine the Vase. Hand out the Vase and the ball (without the lid + Gimmick). Take it back, put the lid on it, then as you would have forgotten just Hand the lid as well for examination.

But nowadays I do ballvase only without the Gimmick. Then you can have them examine it all the way.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late great card expert, Ed Marlo, published a fantastic Ball and Vase routine using the Adam's Magic set. I believe it was in The New Tops Magazine by Abbott's back in the 1970's. Great full close-up routine.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3877 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The late great card expert, Ed Marlo, published a fantastic Ball and Vase routine using the Adam's Magic set. I believe it was in The New Tops Magazine by Abbott's back in the 1970's. Great full close-up routine.

It's also in ARCADE DREAMS/Marlo Without Cards, a beautiful (seldom mentioned) hardbound book by Ed Marlo & Jon Racherbaumer, circa late 1990's.

Julie
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2012, Michael Baker wrote:
That same routine was just (re)published in the Nov-Dec double issue of Genii.

Also, Jim Riser was making sets for the Mike Gallo routine (ungimmicked), although I don't know where that routine is published.
+

Mike,
hello and how are you these days? I was speaking with Bill Sutter last night and your name came up. All good of course. You're contribution
to magic with your talent and create such beautiful effects. I just wanted to stop in and say hello to you.

Sincerely,
Jacob Sr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:

It's also in ARCADE DREAMS/Marlo Without Cards, a beautiful (seldom mentioned) hardbound book by Ed Marlo & Jon Racherbaumer, circa late 1990's.

Julie

Arcade Dreams rocks. It addresses some "ghetto magic" tricks like the Ball Vase, Magic Frame, and even the Snapper with fresh ways of looking and performing these trite props. Just wonderful thinking, especially since so many people are familiar with these magic set staples.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.