The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: Coin... roll...? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
A good magician friend of mine told me of this strange technique a Korean guy did that uses three Voyageur dollars, where one would take two of the dollars, place them in his cupped hand vertically so that they would face each other, with the last dollar in between them. When squeezed tightly, it would become suspended. With some strange squeezing movements, the performer could actually manipulate the coin in the middle to spin on the horizontal axes where it's touching the two coins. I've tried playing with it for a while, but it feels very... strange and knacky. It seems very plausible, though, as I've done a couple full rotations trying this technique. Any thoughts?
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
Yes, I have a thought: I think you are nuts.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I can't quite seem to picture what you are saying Mr Waffles.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
This was in an early Paul Harris book
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Do you know which one?
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
It was in one of the art of astonishment books, and paul describes it as a 'friend of a friend has this friend that can do it' type situation, and is asking anyone if they know it to be true. He describes his efforts, and I've had the same result. Can get the middle coin to revolve about 3 quarters of a turn, but that's it! Weird one this, I can see how it would work, as the on/off pressure does start the coin moving, but am thinking that if anyone has witnessed it, it may have been exaggerated!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Perpetual Motion Coin Myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhbIpIYyTs
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Didn't look very perpetual to me...
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
I worked on this for a while, and was able to get the coin to spin about 3 or 4 times, but it would invariably move to one side and fall. In the hands, once you start to get the knack, it feels doable. If I'm not mistaken, Paul Harris said he'd write a chapter in his next book about anyone who could demonstrate it to him.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
How do you start learning this? Any good dvd on it?
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Seems a little hokey, but if we're going with plausible methods, maybe some kind of tension and release momentum cycle. Like that game "shoot the moon" with the two bars and the marble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9n31M_Z0o
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-