The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Any ideas or input appreciated. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
I am about to publish the first book on the 'traditional style' Hindu Cups and Balls.
I have spent many dollars and many years of my life devoted to this one trick.

Frankly I am disgusted watching the nimrods online exposing magic. I am disgusted by the counterfeiters who have absolutely no consciences and are only out to make a buck. In fact I am starting to get disgusted by most magicians in general. I have met very few who have any ethics.

I would like to share this work with those that have the same passion as I have for this trick and are hardcore-serious about mastering this-NOT the whole world.
I would appreciate any input or ideas on how I can do this and still keep the 'work' sub rosa.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Gary,
Publish it in a limited edition hardcover book. The ripoff artists and You Tube copycats are too lazy to read a book. They want to be spoon fed.
You might offer it to magicians on a case by case basis and ask them to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
None of these ideas is perfect but I believe they will get you closer to your goal.

Larry Smile
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
All a ripoff or copycat needs is one bean spiller, one.
What do you figure the percentage of bean spillin' magi is?
Plenty of books scanned and offered via p2p too.
Sad to say, imho, there is no way to accomplish your goal.

Wait there may be one. Have them make a pilgrimage to you, prove their worthiness and then, and I do mean only then, do you hypnotize them with a suggestion that if they disseminate the information in any way they will permanently be afflicted with the worst possible pain imaginable centered in the groin.
This won't be %100 to be sure, but hey, whatareyougonna do?
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
When Mark Tams released the Triple Threat book (on the Triple Threat coin gimmick), he watermarked each page with the buyers name. If the book were to be copied or reproduced, the copy would contain the buyers name, thus deterring duplication.
You can contact him thru his blog: http://triple333threat.wordpress.com/ and talk to him about the process/cost and viability of using this technology for your project.

Whatever you choose to do - know that you are doing something great. Gary, your book is highly anticipated in my home!
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
Gary, your intent is admirable and it would be nice if more magicians followed suit.

Some excellent suggestions have been made thus far. I look forward to this book in the spirit of respecting the art!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
There are few books on the Hindu Cups and Pete Biro's writings on the subject are fairly complete.
The only really original routine that I've seen in print was by the late French magician Jack Karlow and I tried to get the rights to translate it but he had no heirs.
Thus what have you added to the Hindu Cups that allows you to judge others for ripping off previous works ? Are you doing just a "me too" seeking for your rip off being protected from being ripped off by others, or have you found some smart things (effects, moves, presentations, climax...) justifying your claim for your intellectual rights to be protected?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Lawrence O, not sure how or why you're calling Gary's work a rip off when it hasn't been published yet. There's no way to judge. I believe that
he was looking for a way to keep it off the file sharing sites.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I didn't call it a rip off. Didn't I ask a question ? Now by experience, magicians who start by screaming about their work being ripped off before they even published it are generally the ones who just publish a "me too". Thus I was asking Gary in what category he is because if he has something original to publish about the Hindu Cups, I'm definitely interested. His approach however is casting a doubt for, if he has something original either in the moves, the presentation, the misdirection, or whatever, why not start to talk about these positive aspects rather than casting other magicians negatively?

May I remind Pete Biro's recent post
If you wish, to Café member who pm me, I'm offering my book (24 pages) on "Indian Cups and Balls" for $10 (reg. $15) pp in USA.
Unquote

Now if Gary has something new to offer, I'm simply delighted but I would have liked to hear about it (without disclosure) rather than his initially aggressive approach. Now you know what ? Gary can still tell us positive things about his work and this discussion is offering him a nice jumping board to promote his work
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-27 10:24, Lawrence O wrote:
I didn't call it a rip off. Didn't I ask a question ? Now by experience, magicians who start by screaming about their work being ripped off before they even published it are generally the ones who just publish a "me too". Thus I was asking Gary in what category he is because if he has something original to publish about the Hindu Cups, I'm definitely interested. His approach however is casting a doubt for, if he has something original either in the moves, the presentation, the misdirection, or whatever, why not start to talk about these positive aspects rather than casting other magicians negatively?

May I remind Pete Biro's recent post
If you wish, to Café member who pm me, I'm offering my book (24 pages) on "Indian Cups and Balls" for $10 (reg. $15) pp in USA.
Unquote

Now if Gary has something new to offer, I'm simply delighted but I would have liked to hear about it (without disclosure) rather than his initially aggressive approach. Now you know what ? Gary can still tell us positive things about his work and this discussion is offering him a nice jumping oard to promote his work

I am not here looking to promote anything. Read my original post again.
I honestly don't have any idea of what you are talking about.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Gary,

I too have devoted many years to the cups and balls. I particularly love the Hindu Cups as well. My humble suggestion is... as you stated earlier,, publish it as a book and only as a book... NOTHING online or filmed for dvd release. Another is to hold an exclusive lecture or workshop. Keep it tight. I live in Manila Philippines, but I am willing to travel fand spend or something like this. Ypu can also ask Pete or Bill Palmer who the serious Cups and Balls practitioners are.

Best to you and your projects!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Rannie,

I have decided to just issue books and sets of cups to those who attend my lectures and or classes by invitation.
These books will never be available to the general public. Also a non disclosure agreement must be signed.

Only those who are invited,qualify to receive this knowledge.
I will choose who is let in. That is the only way I can control things.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 09:44, Lawrence O wrote:

Thus what have you added to the Hindu Cups that allows you to judge others for ripping off previous works ? Are you doing just a "me too" seeking for your rip off being protected from being ripped off by others, or have you found some smart things (effects, moves, presentations, climax...) justifying your claim for your intellectual rights to be protected?

Learn how to read.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Good, old-fashioned hardbound books are rarely copied/pirated. Sure, the technology is there to do so but commonly it is only books that have significant value that are copied. Books are my preference, BTW; wouldn’t bother me if no one ever released more DVDs! And I hate the short, one-trick videos for the most part. (A precious few have been worthwhile IMO).

But a hardbound book is least likely to be pirated, Gary. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive to publish.

Good luck with this, however you finally decide to do it!

Thank you.

Jim
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Quote:
There are few books on the Hindu Cups and Pete Biro's writings on the subject are fairly complete. poor
The only really original routine that I've seen in print was by the late French magician Jack Karlow and I tried to get the rights to translate it but he had no heirs.

There is absolutely no reason to assume that Gary has nothing new to contribute. Also there is no reason to assume that Pete Biro has covered the subject completely in his short booklet. There is every reason for Gary to wisely consider protecting his work before releasing it. If a producer does not consider such things in advance, it will be too late later. This is just good business.

Your thinly veiled accusations are completely unwarranted. No wonder Gary and many other producers are getting turned off towards so called magicians. When the creative tap runs dry and new items are no longer available to all, it will be a direct result of the actions of the rude people who caused the problems. My guess is that Gary's work is too good for the masses involved with magic. Making it exclusive is a good business solution. I fully support his decision.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 14:09, Gary Kosnitzky wrote:
Rannie,

I have decided to just issue books and sets of cups to those who attend my lectures and or classes by invitation.
These books will never be available to the general public. Also a non disclosure agreement must be signed.

Only those who are invited,qualify to receive this knowledge.
I will choose who is let in. That is the only way I can control things.

Invited or not... I am happy with your decision. Best of luck and Cheers from Sunny Manila!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 15:30, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:

Learn how to read.

amusing -- you aparently have no idea who Laurence O is and what he has contributed to magic, especially its history and the documentation of efects and publications. He has earned the right to ask the questions he does.

Perhaps you should read some of his previous posts over the last many years before commenting.

He probably has the largest collection of magic books and material on Earth -- and he perhaps should have asked, "Why should I add this book to my library?" "Why should I add this book to my published lists of effects and books?"

Thgis is not to say that I completly agree with his view on "rip-off" mentality -- but I always listen to his experience.

Me -- as a published author of many magic effects -- most given away free, I hope that every effect is ripped off and performed as many times as possible and that they inpire some cretivity in others to expand and grow in their appreciation of magic. You can even claim these as your own -- just do it! There can be no greater compliment than to take one of my effects and make of it something beyond my imagination.

Thus, I view that the original post is not about magic, but about money and ego.

OK by me -- just be honest.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gary, you can do whatever you wish. But, limiting like you suggest will make many, like me, not able to read your work. I think you are OVER THINKING something here.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1788 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
All this disgruntlement over three little cups and three little balls, magicians really do need to get a life. It is not the props or the moves that make the performer but the person within.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 07:41, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 15:30, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:

Learn how to read.

amusing -- you aparently have no idea who Laurence O is and what he has contributed to magic, especially its history and the documentation of efects and publications. He has earned the right to ask the questions he does.

Perhaps you should read some of his previous posts over the last many years before commenting.

He probably has the largest collection of magic books and material on Earth -- and he perhaps should have asked, "Why should I add this book to my library?" "Why should I add this book to my published lists of effects and books?"

Quite familiar with who he is and I don't give a flying rip how many posts he has about anything. No one earns the right to fail to read & comprehend and then attack another. Pompous ass comes to mind.
tm613
View Profile
Regular user
Phila, PA
124 Posts

Profile of tm613
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 09:28, Pete Biro wrote:
Gary, you can do whatever you wish. But, limiting like you suggest will make many, like me, not able to read your work. I think you are OVER THINKING something here.

I know I only have 50 some posts but I agree with this....