The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Where Is Your Waist Line? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Classic clothing never changes for men. Go to a men's store and ask the clerk for their classic section, they will take you to clothing classically cut. I don't know what to say, as I don't see a photo of you with the cloths you are talking about. It may be you have a long rise, and are wearing "off the rack" clothing. If so, that would account for the lower waist line. I know most slacks today are cut with lower waistlines, that does not make it proper though.

I guess every human is different, and if your belly button is unusually high, then of course it would not pertain to you.

As for me, my belly button is about 2 inches above the top of my hip bone. Hips help keep your pants up, so the don't fall off.

Again, I am speaking about proper dress for appearing on stage in front of an audience. Every day where is much different, even if they are not jeans.

As a professional performer, it should be kept in mind that what ever clothing one choses to wear during their act, it should be part of your image, therefore either the style should not change over time. People will recognize the performer as part of his personality.

Of course if your act totally changes, then changing your attire would also be okay. As in all new show, therefore new clothing.

Also character can be considered, although I dress more "up" then most. I like a tux and an pressed shirt and tie.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
On 2013-04-12 20:45, manal wrote:
If you are Fred Mertz your waist is just below your armpits.

I had that same picture in mind. Fred Mertz or Otis Campbell. With either look, it's "classic." Exactly the look I'd want to go for. I've also got a bridge for sale!!!

Mark. Smile
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Men's clothing styles do change over time. Yes, classic styles do endure but the 'rules' are not as rigid as Bill is suggesting. High waisted trousers are perfect with a 3 piece suit but can look strange in a more casual context. Really the height of your waistband depends on a lot of factors.
Here's an answer given by Simon Crompton, a well respected men's style (not men's fashion) blogger. His answer is like most sensible answers "It depends..."
http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2013/07/......Wn_nNUj0
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2013, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Unless you are overly fat or have some birth defect that place your belly button higher then it should be. You belly button is your waist line. I can only say, visit a men's store with an in house tailor that does alterations in house. He will show you how to wear your cloths.

I don't have a birth defect, Bill, I'm just the next step in humanoid evolution. Smile

If I wore my slacks that high, I'd be singing soprano and be in severe pain. The male version of "camel toe" is not a good look. LOL
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Going back to the original question...I've been trying to figure that out. I had a waist at one time, but I think it disappeared several years ago. Too much "good living". Smile
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Every bespoke tailor knows where your waistline is. And the trousers general style will decide where the upper rim of the trousers will be. That has nothing to do with the waist line. Mostly it depends if the trousers are cut and fitted in Italian or English manner. Italian suits are fitted much closer and tighter and look brilliant when you are slim and well trained - the trousers have belts and you should have a waist that has less diameter than the hips. English suits are cut differently. Traditionally the trousers are never worn with belts but with suspenders. And these trousers are much higher. This only looks good when you wear a vest. The advantage is that the trousers are suspended from the shoulders which can look much better. This also offers the possibility for the tailor to shift the optical waist line higher which gives the impression of longer legs. This is clearly visible with tailcoats worn by Fred Astaire. English suits can have much thicker and stiffer fabric. Weather in Great Britain usually is colder and there is more rain. A fabric that is stiffer and a more solid lining hides a topit much better.

Ther is another important detail for magicians. Imagine a standard trouser. Now imagine a style a little bit like a Spanish torero trouser - the waistline gets much higher. These additional 10 cm around your stomach are hidden by a vest. Now these 10 cm under the vest can be used for holders and hidden items. The vest is above the items so they cannot be seen. And the items are not as visible as if they would have been hidden under the vest directly. This is an quite old secret by Charly Eperny - I think he published it 1944. So with any three piece suit it is wise to get some extra fabric for these extra 10 cm. The fabric and additional lining is also useful for all those extra pockets...
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
What Abrell said.

Also, any tailor knows that the waist is NOT measured at the belly button due to anatomical and clothing cut differences as outlined above. The waist is measured 1 to 2 inches above the iliac crest (hipbones).

What the OP is referring to is the SECOND measurement used to determine the waist to hip ratio. In a healthy male who is not overweight, they should be roughly equivalent. If the second measurement is larger than the first... you've got a gut.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the salesman at any men's store has the same level of knowledge as the person who actually makes and fits the clothes. This is the reason why the wealthy have their clothes custom made; you *cannot* get a proper fit from standard, store bought clothing. Sizes and variations thereof are simply generalizations based on the median size determined by the manufacturer.

And for goodness sake... c-l-o-t-h-e-s.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2012, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I have noticed MEN don't know where their waistline is. I was shopping and noted a couple looking for pants. This guy had on jeans but they were below his stomach, almost down to his 'ding dong'. The back of the pants was up on his backside. Talk about living an illusion. I can't believe his wife did not tell him.

She asked what size, and he said 32. I thought, really with that gut stick out that far. The wife looked in my direction, enough said.

I have noticed more and more that men seem to be living in a fantasy world, when it comes to their waist size.

Here is the facts, and if you don't believe me, go to a men's shop and have the tailor measure you. Your waist is at your bellybutton! Yes it is true. Not below that stomach you let out of control. The tailor will start at you bellybutton and go around your body with the tape measure.

For one thing, it is improper wearing of slacks. It also make you look shorter in height. You also have to lean over to reach for items in your pockets, making you look like you have short arms.

The most important point, it is distracting, and other business men do notice, and it reflects on whether you will get a magic job or not.

If you buy a new suit or slacks and jacket, if it does not fit correctly, you still look sloppy. It could cost you hundreds of dollars in income.

Finally, a longer tie will not cover or camouflage this either. At some point you will move and expose all to the client or worse the audience.

So own up or do some exercise to make your mental image of you and the actual you coincide with one another.

Just on a campaign for well dressed magicians. That all!

Some people can't wear suit pants at naval level due to a medical appliance that they must wear.