The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Where Is Your Waist Line? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have noticed MEN don't know where their waistline is. I was shopping and noted a couple looking for pants. This guy had on jeans but they were below his stomach, almost down to his 'ding dong'. The back of the pants was up on his backside. Talk about living an illusion. I can't believe his wife did not tell him.

She asked what size, and he said 32. I thought, really with that gut stick out that far. The wife looked in my direction, enough said.

I have noticed more and more that men seem to be living in a fantasy world, when it comes to their waist size.

Here is the facts, and if you don't believe me, go to a men's shop and have the tailor measure you. Your waist is at your bellybutton! Yes it is true. Not below that stomach you let out of control. The tailor will start at you bellybutton and go around your body with the tape measure.

For one thing, it is improper wearing of slacks. It also make you look shorter in height. You also have to lean over to reach for items in your pockets, making you look like you have short arms.

The most important point, it is distracting, and other business men do notice, and it reflects on whether you will get a magic job or not.

If you buy a new suit or slacks and jacket, if it does not fit correctly, you still look sloppy. It could cost you hundreds of dollars in income.

Finally, a longer tie will not cover or camouflage this either. At some point you will move and expose all to the client or worse the audience.

So own up or do some exercise to make your mental image of you and the actual you coincide with one another.

Just on a campaign for well dressed magicians. That all!
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I agree that we should keep our pants up, but are you saying we should all wear our pants up to our belly button?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is correct, in a professional working environment. Your bellybutton is your waist line.
Dan Eckert Illusionist
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dan Eckert Illusionist
Thanks Bill,
This is great! However, how do we avoid the cliche' and/or the "geeky-ness" of pants up to our belly-button? The fact is, people have lost touch with what it looks like to dress properly and how to do so. Is dressing with our pants to our waistline for the sake of propriety as important as staying relevant? I mean, Copperfield is wearing jeans and khakis now. Can the suited magician ever come across as anything more than a cliche'? I certainly hope so, because I perform in a suit all the time. I just am always a bit self conscious because as much as I love it... I fear I fulfill the stereotype.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Men have always lived in that kind of fantasy world. But, yes, people have gotten a lot fatter in the last few decades. There are some pictures going around the Internet of 19th century carnival fat men and women - sideshow "freaks." They wouldn't even be noticed at a modern all-you-can-eat buffet or Walmart.

By the way, I wear my pants at my naval, unless I'm wearing jeans. But then, yeah, I am a nerd.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 19:21, Dan Eckert Illusionist wrote:
Thanks Bill,
This is great! However, how do we avoid the cliche' and/or the "geeky-ness" of pants up to our belly-button? The fact is, people have lost touch with what it looks like to dress properly and how to do so. Is dressing with our pants to our waistline for the sake of propriety as important as staying relevant? I mean, Copperfield is wearing jeans and khakis now. Can the suited magician ever come across as anything more than a cliche'? I certainly hope so, because I perform in a suit all the time. I just am always a bit self conscious because as much as I love it... I fear I fulfill the stereotype.

Thanks for you input, but if pants are worn at the navel or bellybutton, it does not look "geeky", it is when it is above the navel that you must be thinking of, although when Sans-a-blet slacks were at their prime, the elastic waist went a little above the navel and still looked great. Although, they were very well made slacks.

I am not considering the "NEW" short rise or hip hugger many of the fad clothing being sold today. These will be out of style tomorrow, I am only referring to a traditional classic style and cut for suits and slacks.

Impression is everything, and having your pants below your stomach to your crotch, is very distracting for an audience.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 20:02, gomerel wrote:
Men have always lived in that kind of fantasy world. But, yes, people have gotten a lot fatter in the last few decades. There are some pictures going around the Internet of 19th century carnival fat men and women - sideshow "freaks." They wouldn't even be noticed at a modern all-you-can-eat buffet or Walmart.

By the way, I wear my pants at my naval, unless I'm wearing jeans. But then, yeah, I am a nerd.

Men yes, but Magicians standing before an audience, should not. Just my opinion of the well dressed Magician.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
So, Ed Grimley would be proud...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
I'm guessing the discussion stems from the tendency for men with a bit of a belly to put the belt below the jolly gut. I agree that's not a great look. But for most of us, the navel is a poor guide. For each of us, the navel is in a different spot in relation to our hip bones. I go by my hip bone, which is a more modern approach. If we're talking about suits, the rise of the pant (as with every other detail of the suit) should be in proportion to the look of the suit, IMHO. If your suit jacket is shorter than traditional and slim-fitting---then your pants probably won't be at your navel. If your pants are modern (slimmer than the flowy, pleated sort of yesteryear), then the rise probably needs to be a bit lower to look right. In style, traditional rules are great, but proportion is everything. The pants for all my tailored looks hit at or slightly above my hips, perhaps one inch below my navel. Any higher and the rise of the pant just doesn't look right with my jackets, which are fitted and shorter than traditional.

I believe this look:
http://mirandasinsidescoop.files.wordpre......tyle.png

is better than this look:
http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=8

Both very dashing. But the first is a more modern, cleaner cut. I do respect traditional rules, but this one's worth breaking.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
If you are Fred Mertz your waist is just below your armpits.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I agree with Verno that the place where your belly button sits may be slightly different than another person. I'm not tailor but I feel that the measurement should be from the top of your iliac crest (your hip bone). For me, the line for me is about 1-1/2" or so from my belly button, which is a comfortable and at least to my eye an appropriate height at which to wear the pants. When I wear jeans I notice I wear them just a little bit lower, as it feels more comfortable and it is more casual and where they are cut to be.
Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
So a magician shouldn't wear jeans that stop 4 inches below the hip bone? I don't agree. I always thought that showing a bit of cleavage at the back is a good thing as the audience can see that you have nothing hidden there. Smile
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Ah yes, nothing up my sleeve or my plumber's crack...
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

I'm not saying a magician shouldn't keep his pants up, but the belly button is too far. This is the new millennium, not 1940. Times change. Styles change. I'd look ridiculous with pants up to my belly button, not to mention I'd have to have about 4 inches added to the crotch because most of my pants don't even have room to go that high! (I literally tried this, my wife was red in the face laughing.) In this age wearing your slacks up to your belly button is about the equivalent of bell bottoms. Heck, watch television and see all the Hollywood celebrities who are under a constant fashion eye. Or watch a documentary about large business and corporations, and see how many of the businessmen are trying to raise their voice an octave. XD
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I can see no one knows how cloths should fit. I just bought 2 pair of slacks and they both come to my belly button.

I bet you guys don't know the make a short rise and a long rise slack. Even though the new slacks I bought are short rise they still come to my belly button. Yes the do pull at jewels and rear, but the price was one I could not pass up.

Herr, I would say your wife is afraid to tell you how bad you look, I guess you are one of those guys that should not squat down, or you'll show the world your crack. Classy, really classy.

Unless you are overly fat or have some birth defect that place your belly button higher then it should be. You belly button is your waist line. I can only say, visit a men's store with an in house tailor that does alterations in house. He will show you how to wear your cloths.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 08:06, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I can see no one knows how cloths should fit. I just bought 2 pair of slacks and they both come to my belly button.

I bet you guys don't know the make a short rise and a long rise slack. Even though the new slacks I bought are short rise they still come to my belly button. Yes the do pull at jewels and rear, but the price was one I could not pass up.

Herr, I would say your wife is afraid to tell you how bad you look, I guess you are one of those guys that should not squat down, or you'll show the world your crack. Classy, really classy.

Unless you are overly fat or have some birth defect that place your belly button higher then it should be. You belly button is your waist line. I can only say, visit a men's store with an in house tailor that does alterations in house. He will show you how to wear your cloths.
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

No, my wife is beside me right now, and I assure you, she laughed her but off at the sight of me with my pants that high. (I put mine on and to see what it would look like.) I do agree with you though about wearing pants too short and showing back cleavage. I can bend completely over though and not show my plumber side, or even any skin at all. I guess it's just the way the pants I buy are made? I could see though wearing pants that high if in a tux or a suit, but for everyday wear, such as my cargo pants, no. I do know the difference between high rise and short rise, but I've never even seen khakis or cargos in a long/high rise.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Let me be clear that I am speaking about the cloths we wear for performance. Anyone can wear whatever they wise everyday, but the image in front of a performance audience should be of the upmost good taste.

I recently attended a magic lecture and the famous magician, had the front of his dress suit pants well below his the dangerous area. It was very disconcerting to say the least.

Also do you know well made pants also consider which side you carry your "gun" as it was called the army.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-07 02:47, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Also do you know well made pants also consider which side you carry your "gun" as it was called the army.

That's fascinating, I never knew that.
Spock10194
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of Spock10194
I personally don't remember seeing anyone ever wear any type of pants that high. I've also had my waistline measured for tuxedos and it was not measured at the belly button, but around an inch below. I'm wearing my work clothes now (I work as a clerk in a pharmacy) which consist of slacks, a belt, dress shoes, and a dressy button down shirt. They pants come to about an inch below my belly button. I have a 27 inch waist (I'm eighteen, naturally thin, and fit) and I believe I actually measured for a 26 inch waist when measuring for my tux.

It may have once been considered proper to wear pants that high, but even dress fashion changes, not just casual wear.