The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: The Definitive Sankey: What are YOUR Top Ten? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Is there any difference in the content between the normal edition or the deluxe edition?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think the trick/effect content is identical, but you may get a different cover, you get a page of Jay's notes.. Vanishing Inc's site probably gives the details
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Thanks
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I am going through these books again (it has being about 20 months since I last studied them).

I am noticing a lot of cool ideas that I overlooked on my first time round.

Just about to re-read the third volume!

I think it ruins the fun to point out all the best tricks. So - I don't plan on adding to what I have already mentioned in this thread. At least for now.

One nice thing is that I found a cool mentalism trick that I really like. I remembered seeing a great mentalism trick on an old Sankey DVD. But I couldn't remember any of the details about it. Anyway - on my first run through of the books - I somehow passed it by.

But this time I found it - it is lovely being reunited with this trick. It has a combination of simple principles which really tickles me.
KevinKM99
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KevinKM99
There's one trick in the series I'm surprised hasn't garnered more attention. It's called "One of One." I remember watching Jay lecture this and thinking how this would be really strong for laypeople. Spoiler alert: There's a Cardiographic moment in the effect. One card changing to another feels like a switch, yet, one drawing changing to another feels somehow impossibly plausible. Look it up.

Kevin
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I thought I'd put in a vote for the whole string of effects he has that hinge on using the ECC. Not sure if it's cheating to nominate a whe group of effects. Smile
Thijs27
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Thijs27
Hello fellow magicians. I'm currently looking for good books to help me extend my magic. Do you guys think this is still worth it buying or should I try something else? Many thanks, Thijs (sorry is this is a little of topic but I thought since you all read the books)
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Tell us more about yourself.

And we will point you in the right direction.

What books in magic have you read?
Thijs27
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Thijs27
I have read a book about cardmagic, and I have bought some DVDs from different magicians. but now I'm really looking for something with a lot of different good effects, with cards and with a lot of other things. I like books more than DVDs because I seem te forget DVDs faster

Thanks for answering so quick:)
Thijs
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
My two biggest recommendations would be 'Richard's Almanac' by Richard Kaufman and the three 'Art of Astonishment' books by Paul Harris.

That said - the Jay Sankey books mentioned in this thread would be a great choice as well.

You can't go wrong with those books (7 volumes in total).

After that - if you are still hooked on learning tons more magic - I would recommend the 'Apocalyspe' volumes by Harry Lorayne. It is a great magazine. But I think it is best to be quite experienced with magic before tackling them.
Thijs27
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Thijs27
Thanks A lot! I think that I'll buy one of those:) just one more question about these books, because I'm not a native English speaker. What is the most easy to read? Maybe that that could make a difference for me:)
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I would say the Jay Sankey books.

Then the Paul Harris books.

Then 'Richard's Almanac'.

And then the 'Apocalypse' books.

Harry Lorayne is a legend and his magazines (and books) are superb. But his style of writing is not as clear as it could be compared to others. Particularly since he never explains what the effect is supposed to be before diving straight into the explanations.

Also - if you want to learn card magic - then Card College is very well written. And has been translated into a number of foreign languages.

All the best,

Joe Mckay
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
If you want Jay Sankey's best material, you can save yourself a lot of money by just buying "Sankey Panky" directly from me.
Thijs27
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Thijs27
Hey Joe,

Sorry for this late response.. I was on vacation Smile

Thanks a lot for your help!
Cheers, Thijs
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Fan Mail is another great item...
Volume 3, page 1347

What a great way to engage the audience and make them feel special!

Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2016, Richard Kaufman wrote:
If you want Jay Sankey's best material, you can save yourself a lot of money by just buying "Sankey Panky" directly from me.

That's such a great book.

Richard, since you were directly involved with Sankey at the beginning, what kinds of comments did you get from working pros at the time who had seen his stuff for the first time in the Amanac and Sankey Pankey? I've been a big fan of his for a long time thanks to those publications so thanks for publishing them.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2016, Bob_Hummer wrote:

Harry Lorayne is a legend and his magazines (and books) are superb. But his style of writing is not as clear as it could be compared to others. Particularly since he never explains what the effect is supposed to be before diving straight into the explanations.

Also - if you want to learn card magic - then Card College is very well written. And has been translated into a number of foreign languages.

All the best,

Joe Mckay

I couldn't disagree more.
I believe Lorayne's writing style is the clearest I've encountered.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Oh, boy, I think we're opening a can of worms. LOL

Let's get back to this topic... what are your favorite effects from THE DEFINITIVE SANKEY?
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I've been a fan forever and I've always liked Forgery, Back in Time and Stirring Silver.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2016, Bob_Hummer wrote:

All the best,

Joe Mckay

The Richard's Almanac hardcover compilation is amazing. I've been recommending it for many years Smile