The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Essential Magic Conference :: 2010 or 2011 or 2012 ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I missed the 2012 live video; but, interesting in accessing
the vids either way.

In particular, I wanted to see the 2011 set because of
Peter Wardell's talk. Only because of his claim to fame as
one of the best street magician's in EU.

So with that in mind, which one would you recommend for someone
who can only purchase one at the moment but want to maximize
what can be learned. In particular, anything about street
performing, act building, character, etc. Yeah magic is bonus,
but not necessarily the top on my list...(I have enough magic
routines, effects, etc...).

Also, is there any place that provides what each speaker talks
about? That would be tremendously helpful in making such a
choice; especially, when you have repeat people from previous
years...

What say you?

Thanks ahead of time...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Tough questions.

Practically speaking, Peter Wardell's talk is the only one over the three years that gets into useful advice on street performing. There are some other street performers over the various disks, like Gazzo, but Peter's talk is, I believe, the only one that really gets into the details of presentation and performance.

Barry and Stuart's presentation on the first year, which deals with originality and presentation, is also quite good.

I'm not through watching the third year yet, but I have a feeling I'll consider it my favorite of the three when I'm finished. There are some talks by Armando Lucero, David Williamson and Bill Malone about character, although they tend to be more personal reminiscences about lessons they've learned.

As for commentary about the EMCs, there is some over at Magic Convention Guide. This year they did a blow by blow. Can't remember how much detail they went into previously, but you can scroll back and find out.
crummens
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of crummens
Emc are all wonderful
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Honestly, I can say that the last EMC is the best, while 2011 have some drawback when some performers do not perform at all in their performance section.

On average all years are above par and personally I like 2012 the best.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thank you for this. One of these will be on my Christmas list and I was looking for advice on which one I should look for and also where best to buy them from.

Would 2012 be the best for those with a particular interest in deception and mentalism? I think I am swayed by Richard Wiseman unless anyone else has any advice?

For me in the UK it looks like the Essential Magic Collection itself seems to be the best place to buy it from.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Been hearing lots great things about EMC. Just ordered all of it, can't want to check it out during christmas.