The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: What do you do with mini cards? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
It looks like most of the posts here are about jumbo cards. I'm a newbie - what are some of the uses where mini cards are better than regular cards? I have some minis but I really don't know what to do with them.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
I think Bob Jardine's 'LITLLE ESP' is one of the finest effects you can perform with a mini deck. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/U3ZByKPYjcM

Taught in full on Bob's excellent DVD (it was a VHS when I watched it) though you may be able to suss out the method from the performance.

Cheers

AM
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Thanks, Murrari. I figured out how to do it, but wouldn't it be just as effective if done with a regular deck in the lap?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For kids with small hands, mini-cards allows them to begin palming cards and doing sleights that they just can't handle with regular size (even bridge size) cards. So if you teach card magic to youngsters, consider giving them a mini deck to work with.

Mini decks are also good for comedy when you have a card trick where the spectator is supposed to shuffle the deck and you toss him a mini-deck that has been switched in for the regular deck. He will get all flustered shuffling and cutting the tiny cards and the audience will enjoy the attempts. A good ending is to use Manuel Magie's "Clubbed" to visibly turn the selected mini-card into a huge ultra Jumbo card.
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Watching an audience member try to shuffle a tiny deck sounds great! Thanks!

And I do have to say this again: I am astonished at the accumulated knowledge of the members of this forum. Seems that somebody always pops up with a reference to other magicians' tricks that fit in perfectly with the theme of whatever is being discussed.

Love it!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Dan

I have a 188 page hardbound book I've been meaning to mention to you, but just came across it this evening> sorry for the delay...

It is Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980. It was published by Lloyd Jones/Magic Ltd. in Oakland, California. Tons of Magic with the little cards.

For the interest of those who care, she mentions that this project began as a simple reissue of Hen Fetsch's short pamphlet entitled Miniature Card Magic. (That one even came with a few of the necessary cards in an envelope stapled to the inside back cover.)

She contacted Sid Lorraine for some additional material and all of a sudden the book took on a life of its own.

I imagine this is long out of print, but copies will probably pop-up at the usual sources from time to time.

Enjoy your "little" search! Smile

Julie
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 11:26, danhughes wrote:
Thanks, Murrari. I figured out how to do it, but wouldn't it be just as effective if done with a regular deck in the lap?

Yup, I guess so but I think the miniature deck adds to the charm (and staging) of the effect
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Tamariz
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Tamariz
Thanks for the info...I just found a bicycle deck that was a mini and bought without any idea as to what I will use it for. Does take up less pocket space Smile
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Use mini as a prediction card inside a pay envelope.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
As Julie mentioned, "Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980" is a great book. It is still available from her ex-husband, Byron Walker:

http://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com/magic.html
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
For just $20 that's a deal!

Julie
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
If I perform to kids... I will just pre-prepare a mini card say 9D and write THIS ONE on the back.... force 9D with regular deck, make mini appear, go through find THIS ONE and its their selection
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Om man, I just wathed little ESP and realized what I do is similar to what he does.. it really is so simple yet gets great reactions. reccommended
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Shrunken Revelation. Just kidding. I wish. I cant palm properly with my left hand because of an old shoulder nerve injuury. But that effect is the best trick I seen that uses mini cards.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
I'll second Shrunken Revelation .. nice ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Sam Schwartz has an effect using a mini card on the bottom of an hour glass. It's a nice idea.

Aldo Colombini has a few nice effects on his web site that use mini cards as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I been been thinking of a card shrinking trick for over a decade, at least, now that would make sense to why and how a selected card or cards shrink. The Paul Harris trick where he shrinks a card using a pair of normal size cards is pretty good. What I do for kids is, force a card with mini card in the deck already for them to find after selection. I usually get a great reaction when they find a tiny shrunken card and they see that its their selected card lol.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a nice one by Mike Powers:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/352
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Mike Powers Book Power Plays has a great routine where the selected card pops out of the deck as a mini card then changes back to full size called "The amBIGuous Card.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, that's another good one the appeared in his first book Powerful Magic.
– Karl Germain