The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: NFW -Still what a trick! (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just made a new gaff (in Phoenix brand cards) the Jokers look cool and the Aces Really pop. Nice addition to an already great effect. Also, I tried Scotch removable double side tape and it works better than original double sided tape. At the end, I spin the packet (like Twisting the Aces) so my thumb and finger pressing the center looks very natural. The tape is strong enough to hold yet peels easily when you separate the Cards.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
darho
View Profile
New user
Göttingen, Germany
75 Posts

Profile of darho
It's a really nice trick but not my first choice. My favourite gaffed packet trick is B'Wave.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi darho, welcome to the Café… Smile I like B'wave too, nice trick for sure but I typically use it not so much as a card trick but as a mentalism effect. With that, I list it more so amongst my closeup work as a bit of mentalism, just done with cards. Smile NFW is definitely a "card trick," a really great one at that. Smile

And PD, great to hear of different things with NFW, and I know you are quite a cardmaker. Smile I've often thought of the trick with other cards. I have been presenting the trick within a routine lately, where I use it as my finale. It begins with ReFlipped (I replaced the jacks with jokers). Smile, amidst some directing patter I put away the jokers to do Twisting the Aces, and then I bring out the the Jokers (NFW) again Smile to finish up and of course they miraculously turn back to those 4 aces. Smile It all plays rather well sewn together of 3 wonderful effects. I've even figured in a Z-fold wallet to show the NFW jokers magically returned there. Smile All-in-all, it's working for me. Smile

*And again darho, Welcome! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Mb,
I really like your take on putting these effects together. I'm one of the many packeTrickAcholics roaming the Café'. I use a z-fold wallet to cover a switch for non-gaffed cards with BWave. A platt pad works well too. You've got me thinking about a number of different possibilities. Let's see, where did I put Shawn Evans phone number... ;-)
Regards,
Silverthorne
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
This is still on my want list. I had it but do not know what happened to it?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Go for it DB, it's truly worth it. Smile

Over the years, I have had a couple of different sets myself…I used to do it so much I think I wore them cards out. Smile And sometimes I put it aside for a spell, and I am always happy when I pick it up again, and then wonder how I ever put such an impossible demonstration of trick down. Smile

I think the effect is still between $12-15 bucks online most places, so still a steal for such genius. And the patter of it and slick moves to it has always made a decent-at-best coin man like myself, a pretty darn good looking card guy as well. Smile

I tell'ya, when Gary Freed created this trick, we all struck gold. Smile

And after nearly 13,000 views and 100 replies here, this string is still going strong…WOW!!!, now that's real magic! Smile

*Here's still the best basic demonstration of the trick that I have seen…Guy is soooo smooth! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
PS...

**And here's an updated take on the trick…Pretty slick! Smile

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/23

amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Really enjoy doing NFW. After showing the four aces I take the gaffed ace and reach into my packet wallet and pull out the cards for Virginia City Shuffle {http://www.michaelammarmagic.com/Virginia-City-Shuffle-DL-virginia.htm} bringing the cards out for that effect and leaving the gaff behind. I just say "now that we have the aces let me show you something with the ace of clubs" , this gets rid of the gaff and the aces on the table are examinable.
Magic is Everywhere
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Yeah, really like this effect. Not done it for a while, wore it out. Might treat myself to a new set
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
This looks similar to ACE which I've been thinking of purchasing? What do you guys think is better, ACE or NFW?
I'd admit I'd prefer the easier trick to perform.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
SugarRay. Just by watching the video I would say that the two tricks require about the same practice. Smile

Can someone tell me if you end clean with the newer version of NFW? Thanks. db

I'm very close to re-buying this effect. Woo-hooo!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
This looks similar to ACE which I've been thinking of purchasing? What do you guys think is better, ACE or NFW?
I'd admit I'd prefer the easier trick to perform.

They are both the same basically. Each comes with a few different handlings (providing you buy NFW from Penguin, you get 3 different downloads I believe. Rick Lax, The original Penguin generic one (the original Gary Freed version) and one by Nick Locapo and the part that "makes the gaff work" is a different material on each. 6 of one half dozen of other. I prefer ACE. You get a dvd with several handlings.

Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
SugarRay. Just by watching the video I would say that the two tricks require about the same practice. Smile

Can someone tell me if you end clean with the newer version of NFW? Thanks. db

I'm very close to re-buying this effect. Woo-hooo!

The gaff hasn't changed so you don't end "clean" just the handling. On the other hand, NFW and ACE by RS, are the same gaff but made with a different material to make "the magic happen" and I kind of prefer ACE (although NFW is easier to "re-do the gaffed stuff" if needed) Richard does sell refills on his site though.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Thanks Poof! Always respect your opinions. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
Thanks Poof! Always respect your opinions. Smile

Me too. Smile

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
You too MB! You're a great example on this forum. Poof is also in that category! Appreciated by many.

Sorry way off topic. Ok I'll be ordering this b4 Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone! db
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
You too MB! You're a great example on this forum. Poof is also in that category! Appreciated by many.

Sorry way off topic. Ok I'll be ordering this b4 Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone! db

Thanks so much for the very kind words here. Smile

And it's quite remarkable to see this string on NFW still going strong…WOW!!! I think it's about time to start breaking-in a spanking, brand new set. Smile

*Oh, and if you happen to see my man, Gary Freed out there…Thank him for this classic of a card trick. Smile

RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
What are peoples thoughts on performing NFW with Smile thin cards and science friction spray? (just to end even more clean)
That way the gimmick at the end is normal thickness and nearly examinable..

im sure I'm not even the 10th to think of this, but I'm curious if theyre are any reasons we can think of not to do it this way?
Although ill be pulling it out of the drawer again, its been a while since ive performed NFW so I cant recall the exact handling,
even though I of course remember the premise.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter Smile
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Besides being difficult (perhaps impossible?) to obtain the necessary gaff in that version, the thin cards have a different finish.
But more than that I'm not sure what you mean by "nearly examinable"?
Speaking of Card-Shark, maybe his Magneato cards would be a better solution if you could get them made for this.
Problem with that though for me is I really don't like the Phoenix jokers at all.
C. Dunlop Magic
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of C. Dunlop Magic
My cards are not working as good. Wish they sell refill packet.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
You do have to keep them clean.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks