The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: NFW -Still what a trick! (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
I think there's an argument to be had that the simpler handling that only shows three jokers face up is the superior handling. It is, at the very least, sufficiently confounding to every last person I have performed it for.

I think it gets the spectators thinking early that there is specific connivery occurring concerning a specific card. They think they have a little of it figured out while you perform the simple trick of turning each joker over (I really sell this phase as way cooler than it is, to get them thinking I am over-performing the effect) and then you hit them with the final reveal and they have nothing. They tend to completely forget the issue they had with the initial card being face-down and are actually drawn away from it because they think something has to be up with ALL of the cards.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sure, and as I said, the easier way with the 3 jokers works fine enough. The whole effect goes by in less than a minute either way you do it, so specs don't have a lot of time to discern much behind what they see, 3 jokers or 4 jokers. That being said, I find that the more clever handling is the show of 4 jokers to begin with, personally I love the dance of it. Smile And while I've seen the implied notion of the 3 jokers as 4 (and admittedly it works well enough that most people do it that way, plus it's easier to get into the trick), I personally don't see it as "superior" and it's hard for me to believe anyone seeing it done the way in the video here showing 4 jokers, see's anything less as to the handling and presentation. Just my view of it but it's all good, basically a great trick with a couple of good ways to do it that helps any and all do it well enough to amaze. What's not to like either which way? Smile

Appreciate your view of it here. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
I usually start off displaying 4 jokers, I also do a flippant change for the third turnover.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
If you like NFW, you may also want to check out Twixter by Jason Alford. More details can be found in the following thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

This trick pre-dates NFW, but appears to be less popular because it is more difficult and requires you to source the feke cards (it was published in Magic magazine). I actually think it is a better trick.

Marty
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Marty, I have seen Twixter (and love Jason Alford's stuff) and agree that it is a great trick, but a bit more to pull off for about the same amount of amazement. In this case, it seems to me that in considering this and NFW, one made the other a better way to skin-a-cat, and made everyone instantly a better cat-skinner, and cat-skinning ain't easy. Smile

Found this on this:

"According to Tom Stone, Mr Freed who came up with NFW after Jason [Alford] published Twixter in "Thinking and Wondering" asked him what he thought (of his minor change in the handling) and Jason answered ironically "I wish I had thought of that." This quote promptly apperaed in the ads for NFW!"

As to NFW, the rest is history as we know it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
Do you think it's too strong to be an opener? Been thinking about opening with this (fast, catches attention, huge WTF moment) and then going into some four ace work.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great opener for all the reasons you just gave. It does go by fast and is guaranteed to clue specs into your magic. And yes again, great way to go into some aces work. Smile It's like chicken, it goes well with everything. Smile

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Glad I found this thread, because I pulled my NFW out again just a few days ago and re-learned it, and am happily doing it again. So, short, so sweet, so clean, so simple. Hard to beat this one, as far as packer effects go!!

I like to load four extra jokers in my pocket, or wallet, so that after I turn the jokers into aces, I can immediately show that the jokers "magically flew into my pocket."
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I agree...this effect is simply stunning!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
D'oh! I said "Packer" effects! I meant to type "Packet Effects!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I omitted the sticky stuff, and with a little bit of careful handling, I perform it without. That eliminates a lot of problems. (The sticky stuff getting in the way of your Elmsley counts, and the card picking up dirt because of the stickiness.)
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2012-05-08 23:12, daffydoug wrote:
I omitted the sticky stuff, and with a little bit of careful handling, I perform it without. That eliminates a lot of problems. (The sticky stuff getting in the way of your Elmsley counts, and the card picking up dirt because of the stickiness.)

That also eliminates the best part, the finish, where the cards are tossed singularly to the table.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 09:15, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:

That also eliminates the best part, the finish, where the cards are tossed singularly to the table.

FWIW

If you've found a way that works better for you with this then by all means, do You. Smile But I have to pretty much agree with Stanyon here... Without the "stuff" it would seem you have to be a bit too careful handling the cards especially at the end. That's why they have escalators and stairs, one moves you much more efficiently and without all the huffing & puffing once you reach the top (or once you reach the end in this case), or something like that. Smile

Hey, I've gotten to do NFW several times while down here in Bermuda for a few days and man does it kill. Smile Everytime out it amazes people and you get better and better at delivering it with finesse and grace. It doesn't take long, there are no really difficult moves and you deliver great magic every step of the way. I just can't think of what else you would want a small packet of cards to do any better than what NFW does for you so simply and amazingly. Again, there are other great packet effects out there for sure but not many if any, any better than this IMHO. I'm just saying'...yet again. Smile

Sure makes a half decent-enough coin guy like myself look like a pretty darn good card man as well. Smile

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 09:15, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

The way I do it, I have four spare jokers loaded in my wallet or pocket. As a pseudo "explanation" of what happened to the jokers, I show that they have simply flown to my pocket. Of course, this provides ample motivation for me to casually place the original NFW set into my other pocket, changing the focus to the newly revealed cards.

Posted: May 12, 2012 9:27pm
To be truthful, I never have liked sticky stuff, (Even in Richard Sanders "Super cards") because it wears out, (loses it's stickiness) picks up dirt, etc. To me that's a pain. But to each his own.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
I found this thread only to see if any comments have been made about NFW. I'm a big fan too. FYI- I found double sided sticky dots in stationary aisle of 99 Cent Only Store. 60 dots for a buck. In small carton actually called "Magical Adhesive Dots". Crystal clear and very strong. I reduce tackiness by patting on shirt or pants a few times before use. Easy to change out if too dirty or lose stick.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
Zig 2-way Glue. Far superior to tape, and can be rubbed off clean when it loses it's stickiness. It doesn't harm the other cards that do not have the glue. It's a scrapbook glue found in craft stores. Joann Fabrics is where I get it.

Just a thought on the opening count - I use a block count to show four face up. After practice it looks pretty normal. The important thing is not to call to much attention to this display, i.e., don't assume that the spectator will doubt you, you just started and there is no reason for suspicion.

I love this effect, too. After the last 'setup', I have the spectator make it happen in her own hands. Then I say something like, "Hey! What did you do to my jokers!?".
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've used that glue and it works pretty good too. Smile Like your handling to let the last reveal happen in the spec's hands, nice. Smile

ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-04-16 20:34, Mb217 wrote:
Glad to see that others share the love of this great packet trick too. Smile

Todsky, I have yet to see anyone do this trick any better than it is presented in this video. I took the time to learn it just this way. And it's a very convincing show of the initial 4 jokers, pretty easy to do, very effective and with practice it becomes the perfect opening move to the routine. I pull it out my wallet or pocket and go into just like this. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI

To me, this handling is so well done and smooth that it's hard to beat and that's why I left well-enough alone and began doing it just this way. I hate to see people bending the cards to make the magic happen at the end, just looks awful, out of place and fishy. Tack on a poorly done Elmsley and even doing the initial count badly and it kills the intended finesse of the trick. Look at how smooth this guy in the video makes this all happen, just wonderfully done. Smile

The only thing I do a bit differently is slow it down some as I don't have to finish in a hurry like in the presentation video, in :30. Smile But if you can practice and do it that smoothly you will make an already great effect even greater and more rhythmically magical, IMHO. Smile

Hi
Does this handling come with the instructions ?
Thanks
Ralph

Posted: May 14, 2012 9:46pm
[quote]On 2012-05-13 22:40, dduane wrote:
Zig 2-way Glue. Far superior to tape, and can be rubbed off clean when it loses it's stickiness. It doesn't harm the other cards that do not have the glue. It's a scrapbook glue found in craft stores. Joann Fabrics is where I get it.

Hi
Is this the one you use ?http://www.joann.com/zig-2-way-glue-pen-1pk-squeeze-roll/prd3326/?_requestid=294729
I also saw it at amazon with a chisel type tip, much fatter end.
Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 21:38, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-16 20:34, Mb217 wrote:
Glad to see that others share the love of this great packet trick too. Smile

Todsky, I have yet to see anyone do this trick any better than it is presented in this video. I took the time to learn it just this way. And it's a very convincing show of the initial 4 jokers, pretty easy to do, very effective and with practice it becomes the perfect opening move to the routine. I pull it out my wallet or pocket and go into just like this. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI

To me, this handling is so well done and smooth that it's hard to beat and that's why I left well-enough alone and began doing it just this way. I hate to see people bending the cards to make the magic happen at the end, just looks awful, out of place and fishy. Tack on a poorly done Elmsley and even doing the initial count badly and it kills the intended finesse of the trick. Look at how smooth this guy in the video makes this all happen, just wonderfully done. Smile

The only thing I do a bit differently is slow it down some as I don't have to finish in a hurry like in the presentation video, in :30. Smile But if you can practice and do it that smoothly you will make an already great effect even greater and more rhythmically magical, IMHO. Smile

Hi
Does this handling come with the instructions ?
Thanks
Ralph

Not sure this handling comes with the effect but you can work it out for yourself if you have a mind to as to how it's done. Pretty simple really to use this opening to the trick, easy as 1-2-3. Just think about it a little when you pick up the effect. Smile

Bande
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Bande
Hey I just wanted to chime in and thank you guys. I have been reading this thread and the "best packet tricks" thread and decided to buy NFW to see for myself. In short, its awesome. I love it. The EC not real hard -- I am sure I will get better at it, but it seems fine for now. Performed it 3 times at work and got huge reactions. As I am an amateur, my patter pretty different.

I say I was trying to get a trick to make people say NFW. I EC showing 3 up and 1 down, then make it 2 up 2 down -- downplaying the effect -- saying cool but not great. Then I do the move to show 3 down 1 up tp 4 down again down play saying cool but not NFW. Usually I get a lot of head nods. Then I drop the ending and say that is enough to make people say NFW. Smile