The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: NFW -Still what a trick! (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, C. Dunlop Magic wrote:
My cards are not working as good. Wish they sell refill packet.

If you are performing professionally, the cost of repurchasing the trick is trivial. Be grateful that you got a professional routine for that little money!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
pkson79
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of pkson79
I try to perform for my-layman-self: slightly logical, not easily fooled, and doesn't believe in "magic."

So I actually like not showing anything except one face up joker.

And I just say "I have four jokers." (In a very serious voice. trying to convince the spectators by just saying it's so.)

That would automatically ring bells in my-layman-self.

Which is what my-magician-self wants. Because that would lower expectations to rock bottom.

Even when the first joker has seemingly turned face down, it's followed by "You could think I already had that one card face down." Acknowledging my-layman-self.

After a snap of the fingers, "however, NOW there are TWO.." which brings everything up to a very fast pace magically.

So I really don't see the need for the block count and showing four face up jokers, because it seems like you're running when no one is chasing you.

Just adding my presentation to the thread. Hope it makes sense.

Edit: oh, and concerning the OP, yes. NFW is on top of my list of go to effects, I always have it in my suitcase, and it's stayed with me for over a decade. It's such an awesome trick. Luckily, it hasn't been overdone as much as the invisible deck or the Svengali. Even better.
http://atomiczebra.com
http://themooloolabashuffle.com
Not necessarily a new user, just lurking for 10 years, and either agreeing or disagreeing silently.
GeorgeKerzon
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of GeorgeKerzon
I don't think it's important to show 4 face up jokers to start. Start by saying a trick with 4 jokers and show the face up joker packet. If I give them a twist 1 joker turns over and now you count the packet. Now you continue the trick normally. I never had anyone question this. I love NFW but it looks like the latest version at Penguin is a rip off of Richard Sanders Ace, which is great btw.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I do NFW every once in a while, and while I don't show all four jokers I think it is better if you do. (And I will work that in when I get around to it, I swear! Smile ) I usually start by showing the face up pack and telling the audience that I have this cool trick with four face up jokers where I magically turn them over one at a time, and then I show them the top two cards (jokers) and demonstrate flipping the top card over. No one has ever questioned the trick. It plays very strong. But I think it's better if you show all four jokers. I've just been lazy about it. Ideally, you want your audience going away with a solid story. When they are telling someone about the great magician who turned four jokers into four aces, you ideally want them to be able to respond to a skeptical person that, "No, she started out by showing me all four jokers," thereby eliminating any possibility that it could be anything other than real magic (though they know it cannot be).

So maybe this will inspire me to do one of the presentations where you can show four jokers. It's time to beef it up. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
NFW is a great trick. I used to do it. I just have gravitated to other "packet" tricks. For me, it was natural to gravitate to two categories of packet tricks:

1. Those from an ordinary deck of cards, like oil and water or Twsting the Aces.
2. Maybe a couple or perhaps even just one really good gaffed or custom packet trick. I really like the Corner of Piccadilly by Paul Gordon.

KJ
mindthump
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of mindthump
I just started doing NFW and I love it. I took a lot from the Rick Lax "No Joke" handling that comes with the Penguin version. I used a roughing stick (I love that thing!) on one Joker and another particular card to prevent flashes; that works great. I basically flustration count the Jokers then do a certain kind of display as an excuse to get two important cards face-to-face, and the dirty work is done. I hold the only suspicious card while 3 spectators have the other Aces (see the Penguin/RL trailer).

I don't actually count "4 fronts and 4 backs", but I do stop in the middle of the flustration count and point out how the rock near the back tire has "808" on it, the card design/model number. Most people never seem to have noticed that. My hands are turned so they see two Joker faces at the same time, and it also adds time misdirection. No one has (yet) questioned that I was showing only a handful of only Jokers.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 13, 2016, LoganPorterMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2012, Denis Bastible wrote:
I agree that NFW is fantastic, especially if you learn a convincing show of the four face up Jokers. I do not like the easier "we have three face up and one face down" start. BWave, with how simple it is, is amazing if you do the eliminations in such a way as it looks like free choice.

I agree, here. But NFW is a much better trick.

Always great to see this string on NFW still going strong after starting it years ago now. Smile

Just wanted to add my voice, that B'Wave is another wonderful packet trick. I think it might be falling back in the pack a bit now, but it's a real gem. I used to do it all the time, might do it some more now. Thanks for reminding me here. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I updated my B'wave presentation, using streamlined principles I got from Joshua Jay. I feel it's an improvement. As far as NFW, I loved that effect for years. Used it all the time, but I've layed it aside, let it fall into desuetude, to now use "No Joke" which presentation I learned from Rick Lax. It's essentially NFW, but gets STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. Streamlined, you might say.

1 Here's four jokers (display them)

2 We deal them in four spots on the table.

3 Spectators cover them with their hands.

4 We turn them over and BAM! They are all aces. Katie bar the door! Now you don't have to have spectators cover them with their hands, but magic is always stronger, we are all aware, when it happens in a spectators hand.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Here's a link to my performance of "No Joke" on FB: https://www.facebook.com/doug.working.9/......78903594
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Nice job!
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Someone was asking about NFW so I thought I'd bump this.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The vast majority of comments in this thread are about the original handling of NFW.

I'd like to see some more feedback and discussion about the updated handling. The most common one is "No Joke" by Rick Lax, as shown in the Bar Handling version here:

To me this makes NFW feels like quite a different trick. It's still amazing, and possibly even more direct because all the emphasis is on the transformation. Plus it has the advantage of magic happening in the spectator's hands. But it does remove the "Twisting the Aces" feel from the start. It also makes the routine feel much more like ACE by Richard Sanders.

I've wondered if the handling by Rick Lax was inspired by the alternate handling of NFW taught by Nick Locapo, as demonstrated here:

Does anyone know something about the history here? Gary Freed first put out NFW in 1999. At some point Penguin bought the rights to it, and it was after this (and after ACE by Richard Sanders came out) that the Rick Lax "No Joke" version was produced in 2015, which uses the same gaffs but changes the routine significantly. When did the alternate handling by Nick Locapo first come out? The No Joke routine by Rick Lax seems quite a bit like the routine Nick Locapo teaches (although it does use a slightly different method, and Rick's method is easier IMHO).

Note that if you buy NFW from Penguin, they give you all these tutorials, i.e. the original handling, the Nick Locapo tutorial (which includes the original handling and his updated handling, similar in feel to ACE and to No Joke), and the Rick Lax `No Joke' tutorials (which is similar in feel to Nick Locapo's `updated version' of NFW). Note that even if you've bought NFW a long time ago, these newer tutorials should also show up in the download area of your Penguin account.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
Does anyone know something about the history here? Gary Freed first put out NFW in 1999. At some point Penguin bought the rights to it, and it was after this (and after ACE by Richard Sanders came out) that the Rick Lax "No Joke" version was produced in 2015, which uses the same gaffs but changes the routine significantly. When did the alternate handling by Nick Locapo first come out? The No Joke routine by Rick Lax seems quite a bit like the routine Nick Locapo teaches (although it does use a slightly different method, and Rick's method is easier IMHO).

Don't for get Richard Sanders "Supercards" video. I'm not certain where it falls in but I learned of it on page 4 of this topic (back in 2012) and wish I could have found a copy. Looks like some great stuff there. Here is a sample from 2012 on someone elses YouTube I'm pretty sure he is a member here. I found review requests on the Café in 2004 https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=111

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
That is an awesome and easy Sanders trick, Poof. Happily I learned it somewhere along the way. Richard, please consider a DVD run of Supercards!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Don't forget Richard Sanders "Supercards" video. I'm not certain where it falls in.

Yes, I'm well aware of this video. Richards Sanders' "ACE" is effectively a reworking of "4 Card Crunch" from Super Cards, but in more depth.

Here's a performance clip from Richard Sanders showing ACE:

It seems to me that ACE is what may have inspired the "Updated Handling" for NFW by Nick Locapo (see the demo video which was already posted earlier in this thread), which uses the same props as NFW, but results in quite a different handling and routine.

Penguin Magic began providing the Nick Locapo video tutorial with NFW purchases in the last five years or so. They've also been providing the video tutorial of Rick Lax's "No Joke" for buyers of NFW, and No Joke is somewhat reminiscent of both the Nick Locapo handling and of ACE.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2012, Mb217 wrote:
Thanks Marty, I have seen Twixter (and love Jason Alford's stuff) and agree that it is a great trick, but a bit more to pull off for about the same amount of amazement. In this case, it seems to me that in considering this and NFW, one made the other a better way to skin-a-cat, and made everyone instantly a better cat-skinner, and cat-skinning ain't easy. Smile

Found this on this:

"According to Tom Stone, Mr Freed who came up with NFW after Jason [Alford] published Twixter in "Thinking and Wondering" asked him what he thought (of his minor change in the handling) and Jason answered ironically "I wish I had thought of that." This quote promptly apperaed in the ads for NFW!"

As to NFW, the rest is history as we know it. Smile

In the printed instructions that came with NFW, Twixter is mentioned (see below), but it is claimed that NFW was created independently of Twixter.

It also states that Twixter uses more cards - is that correct?

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
It's great to see all the comments in this thread, although the majority of them are about the original NFW and pre-date the "updated handlings" from Nick Locapo and Rick Lax that only came out around 2014-2015. These make it into a very direct in-the-spectators-hands routine that goes straight into the transformation. If you bought NFW from Penguin Magic prior to this time, you really should log in to MyPenguinMagic and check out the downloads for the new video tutorials that should automatically have been added to your account.

Now that NFW comes with new handlings, I figured that it was high time to give NFW a brand new and comprehensive review that covers all the different handlings, a history of the effect, a comparison with Richard Sanders' ACE, and more. So I have put together a detailed review of NFW that covers all these things, and have just posted it over in the review section of The Magic Café here:

Review: NFW (Gary Freed)

Given that you get multiple video tutorials when you purchase NFW, effectively you get two different tricks with the same set of gaffs:
- the original NFW: which is a glorified variation of Twisting the Aces, with a kicker ending
- the updated NFW: which eliminates the Twisting the Aces phase, and focuses on a transformation

notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
I just got a NFW set. I've been working on the "new" handling which doesn't require an Elmsley count. In this handling one of the jokers is shown 3 times and then other joker is shown 1 time. Has anyone tried this with a colored joker and a black/white joker? I want to do this and tell my participant that the goal for them will be to find the odd colored joker. I think this will work, has anyone tried this or does anyone think this is a bad idea?
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2012, Mb217 wrote:
Yeah Todsky, it really is. Like I said, I have yet to see anyone do it any better, though I have seen many do it worse. Smile Every move in the presentation of that video is perfectly motivated. The reveals are logical and within the natural flow of the presentation. The patter is spot-on with the moves. The opening show of 4 Jokers looks real and though the regular implied notion that you have 4 jokers works as well, clearly it's more effective to start out showing the 4 cards face down and then actually as you say they are as 4 Jokers, is it not? Smile

Funny thing is, that it's pretty easy to start that way as in the video. I guess people didn't want to belabor the moves with another count and since it all goes by pretty fast, to just say you have 4 Jokers works as well...Guess it's easier to just say and act as if you have a million dollars to a large extent than to be have to actually show it. Smile

Anyway, I typically change routines as I present effects but this particular one and a very few others I have left the way I found them because the presentations were flawless to begin with. So instead of adapting the thing to me, I adapted to it and so present perfection every time I do it, IMHO. Smile

I actually had the opportunity to do this trick twice at the barbershop yesterday for some people there...It absolutely blew them out their shoes! Smile The effect is so easy to immediately setup & present, and the moves just flow, and specs can follow easy enough for the big pay-off of amazement at the end. One barber, no 3 of them, watched at different times and they said they were watching my hands all the way through, no way those 4 Jokers could've become 4 Aces...but they did. Smile

I then did a coin trick before I left, my "ReVisiTed," which was enough along with NFW as an opener, to leave them completely in awe. Smile

So, the soup is already made when it comes to this great trick as you see it in this video, nothing to add or take away, just heat & eat. Smile

There are hundreds, no probably thousands of cards tricks out there and it's fun to know a few that you can do for people quite expertly. I can do several and do do others at times that are fun to present, gaffed and or un-gaffed. I typically like to do 3-5 different ones and I work on being the best I can at those. A couple with a deck and a couple of slick packet tricks you can pull out anywhere. Anywhere I go, I am happy to be able to pull out NFW (even when I don't have a deck with me), it's truly one of the very best cards tricks I have seen as validated by most people that have experienced it, either as the presenting magician or as a spectator. Smile

MB, I could read your posts all day. Love your detail, expressions and relatability.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you db, and glad to see this old post still continuing to grow new branches year after year now. 😊

Happy that people keep giving this trick a whirl, cause when you do, you’re hooked forever on it to learn that it is a classic for a reason. 😉

Thanks again for all the good words here. And I continue to tip my hat to Gary Freed for such an amazing card trick. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile