The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Red Black Pencil Scam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
They are very common over here. STAEDTLER are I think the most well known pencil in europe, however if you look at their traditional alternating red and black one its not evens but I can't figure out which it favours red or black yet, you need to look at one to what I mean, it might be 50/50, I am not sure Smile

http://www.staedtler.co.uk/tradition_uk
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
Yes the STAEDTLER is the most common pencil here. It was why I asked myself if the pencil's game was an old classic game or just a little proposition bet.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
Interestingly the STAEDTLER looks like it would come up more black than red to me and yet I am just testing one and its coming up more red.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 13:58, cartouche7 wrote:
I have seen a video of steve forte using one of those crooked pencil and I was very curious about that. (I have one of those pencil)

Quote:
On 2012-03-16 17:10, cartouche7 wrote:
Here is a little video of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7itw7d7tU&feature=youtu.be
As you can see, it's the way of rotation who influence the result. The mechanism is quite simple.

Quote:
On 2012-03-16 17:55, cartouche7 wrote:
Do you know how the gaffed pencil who favored one color works? The surface of one color are more important?

Hmmm...
what am I missing here?
You own the pencil,
You made the video demonstrating it,
and you are still asking how it works?!

I challenge you to repost your video and demonstrate the pencil favouring either colour while rolling across a piece of paper with your username printed on it in large letters.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
And please show your pencil rolling black five times in a row, then turn it, and roll red six times in a row, then turn it again and roll black 4 times then, turn once more and roll red 5 times.
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
I agree that my English is poor. But I think you can understand what I am saying.
I own a crooked pencil who favored black and red depending on the way of rotation. I have asked how works the pencil who favored only one color, not depending on the way of rotation. (it's the 3rd time I speak about way of rotation)

The Dowser, as you can see, I have a youtube account with the user name "poussinbj". I have post a video in the past, of a cooler. You can check, it's the same account.
You think the pencil's secret is big enough to insult me as a liar?
If you are paranoiac, it's probably for your best, but if you try to be smart, you will see that its better.
What ever, here a little video, for you my dear friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5w5fZp2WM&feature=youtu.be
yellowkid
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of yellowkid
Guy above says he's never seen a real red and black pencil?

http://www.staedtler.com/tradition_gb

just tell people the gaff is a draftsman's pencil, which it is.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2012-03-17 10:07, cartouche7 wrote:
I agree that my English is poor. But I think you can understand what I am saying.
I own a crooked pencil who favored black and red depending on the way of rotation. I have asked how works the pencil who favored only one color, not depending on the way of rotation. (it's the 3rd time I speak about way of rotation)

The Dowser, as you can see, I have a youtube account with the user name "poussinbj". I have post a video in the past, of a cooler. You can check, it's the same account.
You think the pencil's secret is big enough to insult me as a liar?
If you are paranoiac, it's probably for your best, but if you try to be smart, you will see that its better.
What ever, here a little video, for you my dear friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5w5fZp2WM&feature=youtu.be

I loved it!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

Tommy
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2012-03-17 10:07, cartouche7 wrote:
I have asked how works the pencil who favored only one color, not depending on the way of rotation.

Ohhhh...

that was about as clear as mud... especially when I can think of no reason why anyone would go to the greater trouble of constructing a pencil that favours only one colour when there already exists such a simple method for the one that can go either way.
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
Marlin, in the book we talked about, the one with the auction, there is a number under each article. Is it the estimated price?
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
@cartouche7:
"What ever, here a little video, for you my dear friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5w5fZp2WM&feature=youtu.be"

That has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen on this forum. Bravo!
LOL!
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
Thanks M, I am really glad you enjoyed it Smile
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Brilliant!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On 2012-03-17 10:52, yellowkid wrote:
Guy above says he's never seen a real red and black pencil?

http://www.staedtler.com/tradition_gb

just tell people the gaff is a draftsman's pencil, which it is.

The "Guy Above" thanks you for the update on this. I never would have guessed.

(By the way, I see you are relatively new with posting and we welcome your participation and thoughts on the subjects we discuss. However, just for your information most use the "quote" options so we can more specifically refer to the person who we are responding to. It makes it easier for all.)
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1730 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
The gaffed pencils are cut so that the sides are asymmetrical. Rolling the pencil one way favors red. Turning it around and rolling it the other way favors black. You can't make a pencil that only favors one color using this method, although with a weighted pencil it might be possible. (Just to clarify, I've never seen a weighted pencil and don't believe anyone has ever made one.)

The pencils were originally sold 2 to a set, one gaffed and the other fair. They showed up on the market in the early 1900s and are listed in the 1918 - 1919 H.C. Evans catalog as "the latest novelty." If I had to guess I'd say 1915 or 1916, but that's just a guess.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
Quote:
On 2012-03-17 16:58, JasonEngland wrote:
You can't make a pencil that only favors one color using this method, although with a weighted pencil it might be possible.

Jason, I think you are wrong. Please, find here a little draw for support my argument. http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6181/p1140627m.jpg

The first is a fair pencil. The second, is a pencil who favor red or black, depending on the way of rotation. The third, is a pencil who only favor black.

The second pencil: the edge have been rounded, so it turn easily when a round edge is coming, and block more when it's a "hard" edge.

The third: the black sides are rounded, so, it's difficult for the pencil to stand on an rounded side. It will favor only black because it stand on a red side.

(Of course, it's a supposition, I don't know how works the pencil who only favor one color.)

Thanks a lot for your precision about the history.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1730 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Cartouche,

I thought about curved sides already - beveling the edges of dice is a common method of getting them to roll off certain sides. The problem lies with the word "favor." If you have curved sides, then the pencil will virtually always roll off of those sides and onto a flat side. You wouldn't have a pencil that merely favored red, you'd have a pencil that ALWAYS showed red (or black as the case may be). But, I have to admit, when I considered curved sides, I argued against them purely on theoretical grounds that entailed rolling the pencil on a very hard and smooth surface like a bar top or glass counter. It might be possible to get curved sides to work depending on the surface that you were rolling the pencil upon.

Thanks for getting me to reconsider this possibility.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
I was thinking the same thing. Pencil and bevel dice are similar in the concept.
Thanks for you post, you give me a lot of material to thinking of.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Today, most wooden pencils are mass produced from large blocks of cedar cut into slats. A machine cuts eight grooves, half as deep as the graphite-clay rod is thick, into the slats, and then places rods in each groove. Once the rods are in place, a second grooved slat is glued on top of the first. When the glue dries, the slats are fed through a cutting machine that cuts the wood into various shapes and divides the slats into eight separate pencils. The seams where the two slats are joined are sanded down and several coats of paint are applied to the pencil, giving it the appearance of a solid structure."

I was just thinking perhaps a pecil can be un glued

Tommy